Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Use Metagrid?

Quick search of the forum didn't turn up any results. Anyone tried Metagrid? Description:

Metagrid is a flexible utility app that enables you to control your favorite Mac/Windows applications by sending keyboard shortcuts, text, MIDI messages or powerful macros directly from your iPad (including the new iPad Pro).

Metagrid recognizes the application that is currently in focus on your computer and automatically displays the predefined or user-defined workspace.

Cost is 14.99 (US)

Has predefined workspaces for Cubase/Ableton and a bunch of others.

Comments

• Interested. Puzzled. Practical application for average schlub (self)?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Interested. Puzzled. Practical application for average schlub (self)?

This is what I'm wondering. I just read the manual. While it functions with non-music apps, it seems mostly focused on Daw's. It has a more "native" support for Cubase/Nuendo/Logic/and Presonus. There are separate downloads for specific Macros (I think that's what's in the download, hard to tell because it's just xml).

Basically, it runs a little server, the iPad (not-universal) connects to the server, and you can use it to send Macro commands back to your software. Seems good here as it can include "pauses" for when a macro needs time to process (like maybe a Save As or something). Not sure all the Macro types that can be sent.

It does CC/Note/Program Change/Channel on the MIDI front.

ALso supports Windows.

Couple limitations - only one i-device (though you can use itunes File share, back up the entire database, connect another i-device, over-write some xml files, and then copy over). Manual says they are working on individual Preset saving.

There are some video overviews as well, but I don't generally watch those... so I haven't seen it in action. For me, if it was 4.99 I'd give it a whirl, but for 15 bucks... It's only been out since Spring '16, and has had several updates, so that bodes well anyway.

Hopefully someone who has it will chime in.

• Neat idea. For DAWs, seems there are dedicated apps for several of them that would likely be cheaper and more full featured. Though that might be a decidedly Logic/OSX perspective of things.

• DP had an app for control once, since abandoned. I've looked at this, but too pricey. All I want to do is trigger record passes without leaving my 88 across the room and I can't justify it. Looks nice, though.

• About three years back, these guys were selling full tilt templates for Lemur. As I was doing a lot of work in Studio One at the time I used it, and it was very nice. Well beyond just the mixer controls, most of the primary menu functions were available - very handy when tracking my own guitar parts. It looks like Metagrid is a stand alone version of this, not requiring Lemur.

• Users of Metagrid are discussing it on the vi-control forum ...sounds impressive and excellent value.

• edited February 2017

I'm definitely still interested, but didn't pick it up because I wasn't (and still aren't) sure of what exactly its uses are - Live - what's it do? or other apps. Seems well-developed though, I'm inclined toward it, dunno.