Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I fretless Sax!

edited August 2013 in General App Discussion

@bluemangoo! I love this app! Best sax Ive ever heard! I can't believe no one's talking about this yet.. I couldn't wait any longer for the video so I went for it, and I'm happy:) thanks.

Comments

• Can't let you blow your own horn alone....

Do dig the alto and the clarinet.

• I'm thinking of some Morphine with the Bari and ifretless bass might be in my future!

• @commonstookie - those are my favs as well; Alto Sax & Clarinet

• Very smooth sounds.

Not quite Ben Webster but soft touching the notes does give a 'breathy' feel to the sound.

Nicely done.

Running through some reverb and echo pad,I'm with @Bootsy,one can see how easy it would be to get smacked out of ones brains..

• Yep,Hans is de man when it comes to quality sampled sounds.

• @commonstookie, I almost spit my coffee out when I read the "smacked out" comment! Too funny. Although that sounds good too I was referring to the band Morphine. :).

• My dear old thing

The gear was of a better quality back then anyway..

• Well I, for one, am going to wait for the video. There are so many interesting apps coming out now, and they all seem to be at $9.99 minimum these days so I can't afford to get them all, unfortunately...

• edited August 2013

Ok, I'm buying it right now. I have both iFretless Bass and Guitar and they're wonderful! Running those through amps and stompboxes like Amplitube is a very exciting experience, so I'll be running Sax through AUFX:Space in a few moments :)

High quality samples and expressive performance features are the highlight of Hans products so he can't be wrong with this one.
    Waiting for iFretless Strings! ;)

• How did you know I have an old thing, commonstookie?

Well Coltrane trumps morphine!

• Duke Ellington & John Coltrane Epic tune, commonstookie

• I'm working on a video for this right now..should be up sometime tomorow or Friday..it does sound excellent..but so do the other two...very expressive..but combining the sounds is stunning..

• Bootsy,as long as its still working..

@Mandrakonian,that one would have to be one of my desert island disc choices.

• It works hard! :) @thesoundtestroom, are you combining two apps or two different sax's?

• So, what's it like? I'm really tempted...was hoping a video would have emerged by now...is it all tender and breathy jazz (great, but not what I'm looking for) or can you achieve rough throaty rock or R&B solos as well?

• Like thesoundtestroom says, it's very expressive! If you hit pretty hard you'll get some growl! It also kind of depends on the register your playing in. Each inst has its own sweet spots.

• I've EWI usb.I use MidiBrigde to control SampleTank but I can't control iFretless Sax.Any idea for some setting for breath controller.

• Just went ahead and pulled the trigger...already having a lot of fun, quite expressive indeed!
    Still looking forward to the Blue Mangoo/Soundtestroom videos though, to hear what real musicians can do with this!

• @tanjaree,Ifretless has midi in..

Have you turned midi out off?(midi destination),having both on could be causing the midi to loop.

Do you have latest ios ?

• @tanjaree, we'd be interested to hear more about your problems with the breath controller. There are some known bugs with midi input and we plan to submit an app update tomorrow to correct most of them. But at the moment I honestly can't guess what would prevent that controller from connecting to iFretless, especially with MidiBridge, although we don't expect the use of MidiBridge to be necessary.

Have you tried FreEWI? That's from the same app developer that makes MIDIbridge but it's a free app and it has no options so it eliminates the possibility of errors in the settings - it seems to just connect everything to everything else.

Please keep us informed so that we can find a solution to this issue.

• @commonstookie,

We tried to get a full range of sounds from smooth to harsh on every instrument. If you like it smooth, alto sax and clarinet are the way to go but if you want it even smoother and breathier, turn down the MAX VELOCITY setting and you will get only the softer notes coming out.

@mmp,
    The Bari sax does pretty extreme hard-edged rock sound. Mix the Bari and the tenor together for something that sounds like a full rock sax section. If you really need it balls-to-the-wall, raise the MIN VELOCITY up higher to force the app not to play the softer samples and focus only on the more extreme ones.

• Thanks Sirhans, Yep, already noticed you can get some nice effects when layering two together, also with one set an octave higher...
    ...speaking of which, the help screen says that one can set the secondaries to loco, a fifth above, and 8va above, but I do not see any option for the fifth above?

• Thanks Hans,
    Its a great app.
    Only thing I'd ask for but not sure if possible would be a 'Ben Webster feel'
    He does it at the end of some notes...that breathy thing.

Oh,and an oboe :)

And one day a vibraphone....and...and..

• @mmp, That's an error in the help text. Thanks for pointing it out.

We tested the 5ths option and almost put it in but didn't think it was useful enough to complicate the UI with a third button.

The extra 5th above the 1 on every chord is useful because it saves you a finger but then when you put the 3rd in the chord you have this 7th that's there even if you don't want it and that's far more annoying (to me) than having to press an extra finger to play the 5th. It might give you some interesting chord possibilities like 1+5+9 with two fingers but other than that, it felt clumsy.

• @commonstookie

That breathy sound IS nice. I'm not sure how to control it though. I almost think we'd have to sample the breath separately, then make something like the Wah control that would blend between the original sample and the breath sound. That's an interesting idea. We'll consider it, but it will be some time before we get around to designing it.

BTW, We got these samples from Todd Taylor: https://www.facebook.com/todd.m.taylor.1?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

He was really good to work with and I would recommend him without hesitation to anyone who needs to hire a woodwind player.

• OK, thanks Sirhans...no more looking for the hidden button ;-)

• edited March 2014

• edited August 2013

Some of the sounds benefit greatly from careful adjustment of the velocity and volume settings.
    Blue Mangoo's sample playback and control methodology is the best I've used. iFretless Sax has made me start lusting after iFretless Brass. Lol.

• Think it's time for bluemangoo to put together a Duran Duran Rio cover. At least the "sax solo/contender for best bassline ever" section.