Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Set up SFTP Server for Sharing Files between iOS & OS X (Or any OS)

Put together a post on how to set up the MAC as an SFTP Server for transferring files and a bunch of other features, comments appreciated! aud-ios.com/2016/11/19/share-any-file-between-ios-os-x/

Comments

• Wow, this looks like a lifesaver.

• good article, thank you. Dealing with larger files and file servers becomes more and more important.

• Thanks @Phil999 and @ExAsperis99, mucho appreciated

• edited November 2016

So does this trick work with the transmit app only, or can I use a more generic (and cheaper) FTP app to achieve the same benefits?
    Edited for clairity

• @AlleycatLA said:
    So does this trick work with the transmit app only, or can I use a more generic (and cheaper) FTP app to achieve the same benefits?
    Edited for clairity

Good question. I haven't tried setting up a general FTP between OS X and iOS. If there's an app that will do FTP with Open-in/Save to, and allows split screen drag/drop of files between the remote and local server (along with WebDav/Nas/S3 etc) - let me know, I'd like to have it... and would update my recommendation. So far, this is the least costly/most robust option I've come across.

• You can use the free Documents app by Readdle instead of Transmit - it also supports SFTP and can automatically detect your mac if on the same wifi network. Though my favourite feature is Dropbox folder sync

• I found FileExplorer (4.99), and I like it. Works well as a replacement for Transmit. It uses open in/save to. But what I love is that it sees all my external drives on my mac - something most IOS FTP programs (or Documents 5) do not do. Another nice feature is it can stream audio and video files without downloading, good for previewing. On the other hand, Documents 5 (Readdle) seems to be able to batch multiple files, something FileExplorer might not do. I'll keep playing with this...

• edited November 2016

@AlleycatLA said:
    I found FileExplorer (4.99), and I like it. Works well as a replacement for Transmit. It uses open in/save to. But what I love is that it sees all my external drives on my mac - something most IOS FTP programs (or Documents 5) do not do. Another nice feature is it can stream audio and video files without downloading, good for previewing. On the other hand, Documents 5 (Readdle) seems to be able to batch multiple files, something FileExplorer might not do. I'll keep playing with this...

Actually, Documents can access external drives. You need to add your drive to the list of Shared Folders (step 6 in @Ocsprey 's guide). Then, when adding an SFTP server in Documents, change your login path to that drive or folder - from /Users/login to /Volumes/Drive_name. And it supports two way folder sync too, I just found out. Yay!

Another way to do it is to leave the login path as is and just create symbolic links to your external drives in your home folder. For example, you can run the following command in Terminal: ln -s /Volumes/Drive_name ~

That FileExplorer app looks very interesting. I have a lot of samples and not enough space on my iPad, so I've been looking for an app that can allow me to listen to audio files without downloading them first. Well, AudioShare can do it when importing from DropBox but you have to pay for extra space in the cloud. I might give FileExplorer a try. Too bad AIFF files are not supported :(

• GoodReader app also has SFTP connectivity capabilities, for the event that you already own it. You should, it is great, so much more than a PDF reader. I use it to get to various servers/services, you can even use it to download attachments in your Gmail without going via a mail client etc.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Wow, this looks like a lifesaver.

…or a filesaver.

• There also a free version of FTP Explorer from the developer of FileExplorer. It has some limitations (can add just one server and no changes to the remote filesystem ) but it does everything I need from it - previewing media files and, if I managed to find what I was looking for, I can copy that file to AudioShare via 'Open in' and then go from there

• @yug said:
    There also a free version of FTP Explorer from the developer of FileExplorer. It has some limitations (can add just one server and no changes to the remote filesystem ) but it does everything I need from it - previewing media files and, if I managed to find what I was looking for, I can copy that file to AudioShare via 'Open in' and then go from there

Yes, that's how I found FileExplorer. :) A word of warning if you are looking for a FTP app - many do not have "open in", so try the free version first to test. FTP Explorer and it's paid brother FileExplorer passed the test, as well as documents 5 and goodreader.

• @yug said:

@AlleycatLA said:
    I found FileExplorer (4.99), and I like it. Works well as a replacement for Transmit. It uses open in/save to. But what I love is that it sees all my external drives on my mac - something most IOS FTP programs (or Documents 5) do not do. Another nice feature is it can stream audio and video files without downloading, good for previewing. On the other hand, Documents 5 (Readdle) seems to be able to batch multiple files, something FileExplorer might not do. I'll keep playing with this...

Actually, Documents can access external drives. You need to add your drive to the list of Shared Folders (step 6 in @Ocsprey 's guide). Then, when adding an SFTP server in Documents, change your login path to that drive or folder - from /Users/login to /Volumes/Drive_name. And it supports two way folder sync too, I just found out. Yay!

Another way to do it is to leave the login path as is and just create symbolic links to your external drives in your home folder. For example, you can run the following command in Terminal: ln -s /Volumes/Drive_name ~

That FileExplorer app looks very interesting. I have a lot of samples and not enough space on my iPad, so I've been looking for an app that can allow me to listen to audio files without downloading them first. Well, AudioShare can do it when importing from DropBox but you have to pay for extra space in the cloud. I might give FileExplorer a try. Too bad AIFF files are not supported :(

Thanks for all that! I might give that a try...