Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps that support split screen view

Hey, I really like to use the split screen view, especially on the 12.9" iPad Pro. Unfortunately there only seems to be a handful of music apps supporting this. I hope more developers will add this feature to their apps soon. Especially there's not one single amp sim app that can do split screen :disappointed:
Here's a list of music related apps that do split screen. Feel free to add what's missing:

AB remote
AudioShare
Different Drummer
forScore
Frobulator
GoBeats
Guitar Pro
GuitarToolkit
Hokusai 2
HoneyChord
iGigBook
Infinite Looper
iReal Pro
Key Degrees
Link to MIDI
Loopersonic
LoopTree
LP-5
MIDI Link Sync
MIDI LFOs
Midiflow
Midimittr
Muckraker
Music
Musix Pro
Nils
Notion
nPlayer
NTBYF
OnSong
Piano Companion
PolyNome
Radio
Reflow 2
Rooms!
Samplebot
Sidecar
TabsHD
TC-11
TC-Performer
Tenuto
Thumbjam
UnrealBook
VoiceRack: FX
YouTube

Okay, more than a handful but it would be great to see more.
Only problem is that it can be a little hard to find a particular app since there is no search field (yet) so it can take ages scrolling to the desired app.

Comments

• Different Drummer
    Midi LFOs

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Different Drummer
    Midi LFOs

Thanks, I added them to the list.

• edited November 2016

I like it a lot as well for regular use (safari, mail, twitter, YouTube, etc) or for productivity (office, Dropbox, etc) for music there's not a really useful combination of apps right now (very random selection of apps) that makes it feel like a new tool.

• Great list! Thanks @Munibeast

• Of course it would be easiest to add split screen view to apps that already support portrait mode, such as:

76 Synthesizer
    AmenBreakGen
    AmpliTube
    AmpKit
    Audiobus
    AUFX (all)
    AUM
    Auria
    Caustic
    Cotracks
    Earhoof
    Figure
    Filtertron
    FingerBeat
    frekvens
    G2M
    Gadget
    iConfig
    iKaossilator
    Impaktor
    KQ MiniSynth
    Loopy
    LP-5
    MobMuPlat
    Model 15
    Mugician
    Poly Synth
    RoboDrum
    RP-1
    Scratch Disc
    SidTracker64
    Stria
    SunVox
    Tachyon
    Triqtraq
    WretchUp

So what's the holdup with these? Why no split screen? Shouldn't be that hard to implement.

• I thought split screen was going to be really big and well supported when it first came out. Shame it just never gained momentum.

• I'd like a sequencer on one side and synth on the other. Unfortunately half the equation doesn't seem to exist.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I thought split screen was going to be really big and well supported when it first came out. Shame it just never gained momentum.

I'm really disappointed that it hasn't gained momentum. Playing live with split screen view is so much more useful that it literally makes mobile music making on iOS a "delight" rather than just a "I deal with the downsides" experience. Unfortunately, I'm resigned to using AB remote (with unfortunate tiny controls) and Sidecar at present because they are the only two that support split screen that accomplish the things I want to do.

• edited November 2016

on a less-related note, I was happy to find out iMessages supports side and split screen.

I mostly hate that this split-screen stuff is for portrait app-orientation only. I mean, if Apple had built it right, every landscape app could easily work, one on top of the other while holding iPad in Portrait.

• @Hmtx said:
    on a less-related note, I was happy to find out iMessages supports side and split screen.

I mostly hate that this split-screen stuff is for portrait app-orientation only. I mean, if Apple had built it right, every landscape app could easily work, one on top of the other while holding iPad in Portrait.

By swiping from bottom or top of the screen?

• edited November 2016

How do you like the app chooser for splitscreen interaction?
    I think It's totally absurd.
    Why isn't it two or 3 lines of apps on iPad? The icons aren't that big ...
    It's such a long list off stuff to scroll through...

I also don't like it that when I swipe in from the left it just opens whatever app it is I had opened there last. Sometimes that's what you want someTimes it isn't.
    WTF?

What kind of iPhone bs is this?

• edited November 2016

@ToMess said:

@Hmtx said:

By swiping from bottom or top of the screen?

Two finger swipe ought to do it.

No offense to you, I'm more mad at Apple... but the "how could we make it work? Swipe from top/bottom is taken" Is a totally lame excuse, even though that is the only reason I've heard.

• @lala said:

I feel your pain.

Here's a freebie, dear Apple lords: when user swipes for multitask, the menu should pop up at the location of the finger swipe, with scrollable choices within finger reach of that exact spot.

• edited November 2016

It gets better
    if haven't got an app open in split view and you are looking at the app chooser
    Go back to fullscreen app, swipe in from the left
    Now it still opens whatever app you had opened last. WTF!?!
    This is totally crazy.

And no drag and drop...

• @lala > I also don't like it that when I swipe in from the left it just opens whatever app it is I had opened there last. Sometimes that's what you want someTimes it isn't.

WTF?

This is the reason I don't care much for the slide over or what ever the hell it's called on my air 1.

I do like using 4 fingers on the screen to easily and quickly and flawlessly swipe between any apps I have open on my ipad. I use this more than the slide over jumble-y mess.

• Yes I like that gesture too
    It's kind of what expose did

• edited November 2016

@Hmtx said:

I tried with two iPad mini
    On top of each other
    And next to each other

On top of each other isn't as effective as I thought it would be,
    Most of the time my hands or arms were in the way, so I couldn't see to much of the screens.
    (On top of each other works for games with external controls...)

Next to each is much better.
    Ymmv

• edited November 2016

Thinking longer about it
    Why doesn't the 4 finger gesture do what it does on the mac?
    Why do I have to scroll through the running apps?
    Just show me an overview of everything running ...
    All this stuff makes no sense on the iPad...on the phone it works.

• @lala said:
    How do you like the app chooser for splitscreen interaction?
    I think It's totally absurd.
    Why isn't it two or 3 lines of apps on iPad? The icons aren't that big ...
    It's such a long list off stuff to scroll through...

I also don't like it that when I swipe in from the left it just opens whatever app it is I had opened there last. Sometimes that's what you want someTimes it isn't.
    WTF?

Sometimes I wonder if ever the staff on Apple Inc. in Cupertino use iOS devices?

So many functions that is crippled or totally fault-constructed (is that a word?)...

• Yeah, I think they could really use some people actually testing the user experience there. One would think with that ginormous pile of money they would hire folks to improve this kind of stuff but I guess they prefer to spend it on Apple Car...

• edited November 2016

Half and half works (but it has this fucking I know what you I ll just open the last app too), the rest is really shit, and not much thought went into it.
    I'm not going to buy a new iPad until this is fixed.
    No one at apple seams to use iPads, they just diddle their phone and mac all day. >:)

What would you say if your mac just opens the last app you have used without asking?
    It's basically a computer opening random apps. Great, huh?
    That's why the mac asks you if want that. ;)

I had high hopes for iOS 10,
    and nothing happened,
    it's such obvious ish that happens.

• edited November 2016

I'd love to see some devs taking note of this and maybe even posting here :blush:

• @Munibeast said:
    Yeah, I think they could really use some people actually testing the user experience there. One would think with that ginormous pile of money they would hire folks to improve this kind of stuff [...]

It's baffling. Richest company on earth...

• edited November 2016

There is more odd stuff,
    Why does the video in picture in picture mode stop if I swipe in from the left?

multitasking on iOS is completely brain dead. :#

Why the fuck does the Mediaplayer point to some URL if the last thing I played was web stuff in the browser? Who wants that?
    Why doesn't it point to the last thing in some app (local data)?
    Like music or podcasts or whatever. As it is you never know what you will find here. &_&

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I thought split screen was going to be really big and well supported when it first came out. Shame it just never gained momentum.

I'm really disappointed that it hasn't gained momentum. Playing live with split screen view is so much more useful that it literally makes mobile music making on iOS a "delight" rather than just a "I deal with the downsides" experience. Unfortunately, I'm resigned to using AB remote (with unfortunate tiny controls) and Sidecar at present because they are the only two that support split screen that accomplish the things I want to do.

Awwww thanks I’d forgotten about sidecar. Looks amazing! How are you getting on with the split screen thing nowadays? Any other split screen apps worth mentioning?

• Any more additions to this?

• It seems as though Audiobus was left off that list. It supports split screen quite well.

• @wim said:
    It seems as though Audiobus was left off that list. It supports split screen quite well.

That’s a good tip