Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Price Drops / Sales vs. Willpower

Audulus is on sale and I am using every ounce of willpower I have to fight the urge to buy it. I am sure it is a great app and I have wanted it since it came out, but I've spent over $100 on apps/iaps in the past month or so. I am a major sucker for sale prices and especially "introductory prices". Ooooh, if I buy it now I'll save five bucks..... I definitely should stop coming to this website ;-o. I am amazed at some of you fellow busriders; you seem to have an endless supply of apps and actually have time to use them. Then you come here and spread the word about the apps. Sigh. Time to check my bank balance again.

Comments

• Haha nope I'm in same boat as you buy em all then don't use and/or have time to learn all of them. I haven't put anything decent down at all lately, seems as if I just fiddle...next app....fiddle....nex ::Well you get the point

• Welcome to the club... problem with drugs... you want more and more ;)

• Hah! I know the feeling....and Audulus is so interesting...
    Trouble is, I already own a bunch of synths, Nave, Thor, Magellan etc., most of them purchased during sales...and I'm not even a progressive/electronic music/synth person!
    Still, the modular GUI kit approach in Audulus looks so very intrigueing...BUT...I'm afraid that, once one starts to play around with it, one might also want the IAPs...so still I keep resisting...

• I bought it the last time it was on sale,I've always liked the look of it and at the time I thought I was
    Getting a bargain,because it didn't have any IAP's and after fiddling I found that it requires way more time than I have available,to make a killer synth or similar and the IAP'S promise to speed up the process if your willing to pay,so now I'm more inclined to go to other modulars first like SunVox,DingSaller,Jasuto Pro,Pocket Modular to get my modular fix,Audulus is a great app but its bit like spending most of my time under the hood/bonnet of the car,instead of driving it.

• I know the feeling. I just grabbed JamUp Pro XT for $9.99 after I told myself I wouldn't buy any more apps for a couple of months. I couldn't help it though. It's one of the few apps I don't have that I've marked as necessary, and if I can save $10 on it, then why not? Now it's just either Auria or Cubasis, but I doubt they'll be going on sale...

• @Multitouch - agreed that it takes a good bit of time and knowledge. What I do is scan their forum every so often and snag the .audulus presets available. There simple and easy to open in Audulus all on the iPad and range from synths to effects made specifically for the AB effects slot which is really cool

• edited January 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If the Apps go on sale often , then you can just delay the purchase till the next Sale.
    Jamup pro, Audulus keep going to sale price at least 2 times a year...so it's easier to justify the delay till the next sale and keep waiting till you really need it.
    What is more difficult is for these new apps which are unique and not big projects...small 2.99 or under 5 bucks apps.....those are real impulse buys that slowly add up :-)

• I don't even look at the cost when factoring in whether I want an app or not initially, first thought is "do I NEED this?". If yes, then I'll likely wait a little bit to see if it goes on sale, if not, oh well.

Sometimes after waiting for something to go on sale though, I forget about it. So it's always nice getting those price drop reminders, and then I get the same price anyway :)

• Cubasis is the only app I had to think twice about before buying. In general, iOS apps are so cheap at around $3 - $10 that I just push the Buy Now button without much justification. It's the in app purchases that get expensive.

• My wife pointed out that I spent nearly a thousand on apps and/or IAPs last month. I'm not in the Dog House but I'm definitely not eating Purina or out of a bowl for at least the next month....

• I'm almost to a point where there isn't anything left that I really want, so I haven't bought much in the last little while. I already have every major DAW, synth, effect and utility. hahaha... We're at a slow point though, since we are all waiting for iOS7, inter-app audio, and the next version of Audiobus. My wallet is getting worried about this upcoming fall season. :-)

• @AudioJunkie - same here, in regards to owning almost everything. Then I find myself looking for apps to feed the addiction....terrible lol I know we all joke but....

• I only impulse buy if the app is $0.99 to $2.99 tops. $5-10 apps are ones that sit on my Want List until I've researched them enough or realized for a certainty that they'd be very useful to me, or else they go on sale.

I like to buy iTunes Gift cards when they go on sale - my local grocery store (Meijer) has 15% off or even better sometimes on them - so that way I can control how much I allocate to my iTunes account at once and then spend judiciously, since once that balance is gone its gone. Not that I never charge apps to my CC but the Gift Card thing helps slow down impulse buying... Knowing that if I want to buy a $20 app like Animoog at some point soon makes me think twice about spending $5 on a new app that comes out, especially if I've only got $20 left in my GC balance...

• edited August 2013

I do it like Tarekith, I only purchase if the app really gives me something I need. The price doesn't matter because even $50 is cheap compared to $500+ for a pro application on the computer.

The problem seems to be that sometimes one doesn't know if one really needs it. In the plugin world one can mostly try a demo, while in the iOS world this isn't possible, or only rarely (free app with IAP's).

Regarding Audulus, I would only recommend it for seasoned electronic musicians with experience on hardware modular systems (or software like Reaktor). I use Audulus mainly for effects/filters in Audiobus; you can build almost everything you want. Also distortion, but personally I always do distortion with hardware. For synthesisers I prefer synth apps, they are easier to handle. However, that could change one day; the last Audulus update uses less resources, and there are plans to make the controlling more user friendly.
    I'd also recommend the Mac version of Audulus if you want it on the iPad. It makes programming much more easier, and you can transfer the files between those platforms.