Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Brief History of the Studio as an Instrument

edited October 2016 in General App Discussion

I found these two essays on the Ableton blog to be really interesting, particularly in telling me about people I had never heard of before.

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/studio-as-an-instrument-part-1/

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/studio-as-an-instrument-part-2/

And they will be adding a third part soon...

Comments

• Thanks for the hookup, I love the Radiophonic Workshop. :heart:

• Fun read thanks. I love this sort of stuff. Delia/Daphne 2016!

Very Ableton slanted but that's fair enough I reckon. Initially, this made my hair stand up a bit:

... that creating a compelling musical recording requires more than simply documenting a performance...

Simply isn't true. Unless you sell creative DAW software. :)

Also, as with any sort of listing like this, there's always some asshole who is aghast at the omissions. I'm not aghast cause it's a great list and write up but I'll play the part anyway.

Passing mention of Les Paul ain't enough! He's the first one to chart hits by 'cheating'. He'd tune his guitar down and slow down the tape machine, play a fast solo on top and then when the tape was set back to the normal speed, it was a blazing fast solo! Oh yeah, in pursuit of that process, he also invented the freaking multitrack recorder.

They go over the Beatles/Martin but in article focused on engineers seems a shame to not have mentioned the Abby Road engineers responsible for coming up with flanging, phasing and tape delay.

Also missing: Brian Eno and Phil Spector/Brian Wilson (Abby Road, the record, was in direct response to the awe they felt upon first hearing Pet Sounds; a masterpiece 'studio' album). King Tubby and Lee Perry are scheduled for the third post. Maybe they'll keep going with the series. There's no shortage of 'pioneers'.

Possibly more personal preference but I'd like to see bits on Kevin Shields (MBV), Kling Klang, Robyn Guthrie, John Leckie, Hank Shocklee and Richard James.

• @syrupcore said:
    Passing mention of Les Paul ain't enough! He's the first one to chart hits by 'cheating'. He'd tune his guitar down and slow down the tape machine, play a fast solo on top and then when the tape was set back to the normal speed, it was a blazing fast solo! Oh yeah, in pursuit of that process, he also invented the freaking multitrack recorder.

Cool! I didn't know that. 100% certified fun-fact o' the weekend.

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

None of us would be doing what we're are with music if it wasn't for Les Paul......He's not just for guitar players :)

• edited October 2016

@syrupcore said:
    Possibly more personal preference but I'd like to see bits on Kevin Shields (MBV), Kling Klang, Robyn Guthrie, John Leckie, Hank Shocklee and Richard James.

Kling Klang is Conny Plank (and not Kraftwerk) coming up in part 3 ;)
    Give us Krauts some credit here, sure we won't forget him :)

(To bad he turned Bowie down)
    I wonder who is in part 4
    Moritz von Oswald?

• Don't forget, Kraftwerk were predicated around their initial striving to be a Beach Boys tribute band, except it turned out that way instead.

• edited October 2016

The first Kraftwerk albums were hippie bs, IMO,
    Flutes and stuff ...

Neu! was much better ... and stands the test of time much better than the early Kraftwerk stuff ...
    Listen for yourself.

• That video always makes me laugh. On the one hand, there's the rehearsed precision of what sounds like a sonic mess from Ralf and Florian, and on the other hand there's an audience that really does look like they didn't want to be there at all but couldn't escape.

• edited October 2016

Btw. Anybody knows what Marty Thau and Craig Leon did
    After suicide - suicide?

Oh Marty Thau managed New York dolls, I didn't know until now ...

God I love this album. <3

• @Reid Great read! Thanks for posting.

• @lala said:
    Btw. Anybody knows what Marty Thau and Craig Leon did
    After suicide - suicide?

Oh Marty Thau managed New York dolls, I didn't know until now ...

God I love this album. <3

Leon composed and recorded quite a bit of his own synthesizer-heavy music later on. He is still at it.

• @lala said:
    The first Kraftwerk albums were hippie bs, IMO,
    Flutes and stuff ...

Neu! was much better ... and stands the test of time much better than the early Kraftwerk stuff ...
    Listen for yourself.

Neu! was certainly better than early Kraftwerk, but I do enjoy hearing heavy guitar on the early Kraftwerk. Provided by Neu!s own Michael Rother, if I recall correctly!

• I really don't want to be "that guy", but Louis and Bebe Barron certainly
    warrant a mention.

• @JeffChasteen said:
    I really don't want to be "that guy", but Louis and Bebe Barron certainly
    warrant a mention.

• edited October 2016

Laurie Spiegel at bell labs
    I wonder why they didn't drop her name, this is ultra modern for late 70s.
    She wrote her own algorithms and stuff.

• edited October 2016

This is what made moog famos ...

• @lala ha I said Kling Klang but actually meant Conny Plank!

• @brambos said:

@syrupcore said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Paul#Multitrack-recording_innovations
    http://www.les-paul.com/timeline/les-the-inventor/

At 4:34 in this video you can see him describe the little black box on his guitar. He called it the "Les Paulverizer". It was basically a switching setup for a couple of machine(s) off stage. One set to loop. One set to tape delay. Some switches change the recording speed.

• @syrupcore said:
    @lala ha I said Kling Klang but actually meant Conny Plank!

^^ I had a feeling...

• Oh I was little to early with Laurie Spiegel they haven't arrived in the 70s yet, we'll see.