Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

probably OT, but OnSong users, could I get just a little help for a blind user plese?

I'm blind, and I'm trying to figure out if OnSongh will work with the VoiceOver app which makes the iPad accessible to blind people. I want to figure this out before I buy OnSong.
How you can help. I would need you to turn on the VoiceOver app (I'll explain how,) and then just run the OnSong app and see what kind of voice output you get when navigating the screen.
How to start VO:
Go to Settings > general > accessibility, and set the accessibility shortcut key to start VoiceOver. Doing it this way lets you turn VO on and off quickly.
Then, go back to home screen and open up OnSong.
While in Onsong, quickly tripple-press the home key.
Voiceover should start up. Then, just touch the controls on your screen in OnSong. Do you get any voice feedback that is useful? When you touch various buttons and controls, do they speak their names?
If you have lyrics on the screen, does the voice read them if you touch the lyrics?
After you're done, just tripple press home again to turn VO off. It can get annoying.
I would really appreciate knowing a little about how OnSong works with VoiceOver before I spend the money on Onsong.
Why would a blind person want to use OnSong? first, it can control my midi enabled apps and rig. Second, if I connect it to my bluetooth Braille display, I might be able to read lyrics as I sing.
Thanks so much!
If you have questions, please let me know.
Thanks and blessings!
Rusty

Comments

• Hello, Rusty. I would love to help, but I don't own the app. I searched the forum and found very few mentions of OnSong in the past year or so. It might be less hassle for you to buy the app and test it out, then ask for a refund if it doesn't meet expectations. Best of luck to you.

• This is the manual - http://onsongapp.com/docs/

I Did a search and couldn't find anything there unfortunately - best of luck with it

• Hi @RustyPerez. I have OnSong but I don't use it and am far from expert in its use. Nevertheless, I reinstalled it and carried out your instructions. I can report that it does work with VO to announce buttons and icons and to read text, etc. As a sighted person, I can't advise how useful it would be to you but dragging my finger around the screen does result in VO feedback of text and buttons. I couldn't work out how to select a whole bunch of text lyrics for VO to read. VO appeared to want to read small groups of lyrics at a time (i.e. those associated with a chord name above, on a lead sheet).

In OnSong's style settings page, value sliders could be dragged but did not give constant value feedback.

I'll not uninstall OnSong for another few days in case there's anything specific you would like me to test for you. You may also wish to contact OnSong directly at [email protected].

Best wishes.

• It seems to work. Most things are read to you when you tap on them. It only reads the line of lyrics or chord you tap on. There are two buttons in the lower right hand corner that it simply says "button" when tapped on. One is a play button that will play the song if you have it in your itunes or spotify library and the other is a metronome button.

• Wow! thank you all so much! @Washboy and @Matthew, that's exactly what I needed.
    @Matthew, thanks particularly for telling me about those unlabeled buttons. This is perfect feedback.

Just FYI for all, I tried contacting OnSong via email and Facebook last week but they haven't responded.
    Some app developers aren't real receptive to this kind of inquiry, I believe because they just aren't familiar with this and they're afraid it'll be more trouble than it's worth.
    Usually, as long as app devs have followed best app development practices according to IOS standards, apps work pretty well.

Many of the devs here on Audiobus are AWESOME! as far as accessibility goes.

I definitely feel more confident making a purchase now!

• @RustyPerez said:
    Wow! thank you all so much! @Washboy and @Matthew, that's exactly what I needed.
    @Matthew, thanks particularly for telling me about those unlabeled buttons. This is perfect feedback.

Just FYI for all, I tried contacting OnSong via email and Facebook last week but they haven't responded.
    Some app developers aren't real receptive to this kind of inquiry, I believe because they just aren't familiar with this and they're afraid it'll be more trouble than it's worth.
    Usually, as long as app devs have followed best app development practices according to IOS standards, apps work pretty well.

Many of the devs here on Audiobus are AWESOME! as far as accessibility goes.

I definitely feel more confident making a purchase now!

Hi - I don't have this app, but you're welcome to message me. My wife is a deaf/blind (tactile) sign language interpreter and we are working on some music initiatives. Good luck!