Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

why oh why?? portrait split screen... SMH

I like a whole lot about the split screen and multi-tasking options introduced in iOS 9.

It is lovely that I can hold the iPad in landscape and do a 50-50 split-screen with two apps and they magically resize to two portait apps side by side. very useful and magical.

But this post is a question about what isn't included. I cannot figure out why it doesn't work when I hold the iPad in portrait. In the above situation, as soon as I rotate the iPad to portrait, the apps don't resize to landscape (one on top of the other). Instead the apps resize to maintain a side-by-side orientation. Just go try it. its utterly silly. Two apps looking at me with this awkward ugly tall, skinny orientation that is entirely impractical.

I am baffled that Apple released iOS 9 with this weird UI "feature" and even more baffled that it was never fixed in any 9.x releases and not even resolved in iOS 10. Anyone else see this as weird or buggy?

Comments

• Yes, but for many reasons, lately I've begun to see Apple as 'wierd and buggy,' - sigh...

• edited October 2016

@Hmtx said:
    I like a whole lot about the split screen and multi-tasking options introduced in iOS 9.

It is lovely that I can hold the iPad in landscape and do a 50-50 split-screen with two apps and they magically resize to two portait apps side by side. very useful and magical.

But this post is a question about what isn't included. I cannot figure out why it doesn't work when I hold the iPad in portrait. In the above situation, as soon as I rotate the iPad to portrait, the apps don't resize to landscape (one on top of the other). Instead the apps resize to maintain a side-by-side orientation. Just go try it. its utterly silly. Two apps looking at me with this awkward ugly tall, skinny orientation that is entirely impractical.

I am baffled that Apple released iOS 9 with this weird UI "feature" and even more baffled that it was never fixed in any 9.x releases and not even resolved in iOS 10. Anyone else see this as weird or buggy?

I have had this request for day one on the split screen option in iOS 9...

With my iPad Pro 12.9" it would have been nice to run the apps in landscapemode but iPad orientation in landscape...
    I don't think this will ever happens... Sometime I really hate Apple for their's approach to us users... They don't listen to us, whatsoever...

• I think maybe the problem is that in portrait mode the logical way to invoke the split screen as two horizontal screens would be a swipe from the top or the bottom of the screen, which unfortunately is already in use for notifications and quick settings... But maybe they could combine those into the swipe from the top and then use swipe from the bottom for split screen? I agree it should be made possible.

• edited October 2016

Maybe, but Apple have a lot of people working for them to figure out creative solutions.

Something as simple as a two-finger swipe down would be immediately easy for everyone to learn.

The current UI in split-portrait orientation is such a glaring departure from Apple's way of simple, clean, attractive visuals. I really am surprised that no changes have been made in the past 10 months.

I was perplexed by this when I first heard about it. This week I got the 12.9 and now that I see it myself... Dang it's even uglier than I thought it would be.

• I agree. Such a missed opportunity... And they want the iPad to replace a laptop where I can easily manipulate different windows?

• Maybe they want to keep it for iOS 12 when they have officially run out of ideas?

• edited October 2016

For example:

On my 12.9 I could watch a full resolution 1080p 9.7" sized movie in the top portion of the screen, while also browsing a full size webpage below...

That would be pretty useful.
    But Apple won't let me. :-/

• edited October 2016

I could think of more useful scenarios ;-)
    Loopy, AUM, ToneStack etc...

• Yes! Loopy + _____

(Fill in the blank with anything. )

• @Hmtx said:
    For example:

On my 12.9 I could watch a full resolution 1080p 9.7" sized movie in the top portion of the screen, while also browsing a full size webpage below...

That would be pretty useful.
    But Apple won't let me. :-/

Not a bad idea, perhaps it had some bugs and was deferred until later.

• Thanks for the reminder that iPads can even do this. I just tried running a midi keyboard app and found I could have the lyrics from OneDrive or iCloud along side. Works great,