Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• edited July 2013

What audience is an app like this targeted at? It can record a track, with some basic EQ/Saturation/Limiter things going on I gathered. But can't you just use their other mastering app if you wanna "master" an audio track? And if you're recording a band you're gonna use a multitracker with mixing capabilities, right? Is it for some more basic field recording stuff? I'm just curious, and it's probably just my lack of knowledge here..

• I've had a few plays with this app - I must say the sound difference when moving the sliders is really marginal however, I recorded some live vocals into this through AudioBus v dry and it did sounded better. The workflow is excellent using ACP, AB and AudioShare but I need to play some more.

• the app is fairly niche, it's essentially a reel/tape simulator to run your recordings or audio through. the algorithms were designed to give your audio a sense or warmth similar to the way recordings were done in the past when they were recorded on actual tape reels and tubes. personally I'm liking this a lot and ran a few of my tracks through, made a huge difference and gave my audio more "presence"

• So many questions............ Ok so this is not an audio editor. You can record into it and get a warm sound as the audio output. So it is not a multi track audio studio like say Auria. Why would I want to buy it when I already have the mastering app from this same developer? It seems to me this app is like a tape booster giving you that vintage sound of reel to reel machines. Can you combine this with the mastering app? Finally, is this a mastering tape app? Sounds like it.

• mmpmmp
    edited July 2013

I'm a bit confused about this too...
    at first I thought one might use it in the AB effects slot to record single tracks with a tape simulation effect but that wouldn't be mastering would it?
    But then I saw the demo and he used mixed-down recordings with multiple instruments and vocals so obviously it's meant to be used like a mastering app.

But how does it fit into the workflow? Is it just alternative way of mastering a tune different from 'Audio Mastering' or would one use the two together, say, first adding the tape effects and then using AM to polish it, or maybe just the other way around to add a 'warm' analog tape-era feel?

• However you decide to use it this app has really grown on me. I have just been using it to record Sunrizer through AB and it sounds lush - then open in Auria for the final polish. Yep, sounds great.

• Picked this up, as I like Igor's Audio Mastering app quite a bit.

Master Record is just as nice, but perhaps not as applicable to as wide a number of genres as the Mastering app is. The tape saturation options are particularly useful when used on synths via the Audiobus effects slot. That said, I do feel like those composing electronic music might get less use out of Master Record than those who would use it to record non-digital instruments (guitars, drums, etc).

That said, as someone who composes techno with a heavy 80s movie soundtrack influence, giving my tracks a bit of oldschool analog flavor with Master Record is a good option to have. I don't regret spending the $10 on it.

• Wish this was stand alone at $10 and IAP for Audio Mastering at $8. I'd rather have it all in a single app.