Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Space Echo 201 Emulation

I recall reading about a Roland RE-201 Space Echo emulation for iOS. Anyone know which app/plugin that could have been?

Comments

• Tonestack includes one, if I remember rightly...

• Cosmic Echo in ToneStack is closeish

• Bias FX has one in the delay section

• I once emailed G.S.I if they would consider making a GS-201 VST version on IOS?...... they wouldn't. :/ That VST(with Spring Reverb built in) is brill......

• MultiHead in Jamup.

• I had a Re-301 in the past which has the amazing sound on sound function.One of my biggest dreams would be someone would emulate a 301 instead of 201 (for ios).Afaik this does not even exist in the desktop world.

• I still find it strange that something could be called Space Echo, I imagine the sound in space to actually be quite dead due to the distinct lack of objects to reflect the echo from :D

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I still find it strange that something could be called Space Echo, I imagine the sound in space to actually be quite dead due to the distinct lack of objects to reflect the echo from :D

Most of the original space echo units sound exactly like that now... silent.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I still find it strange that something could be called Space Echo, I imagine the sound in space to actually be quite dead due to the distinct lack of objects to reflect the echo from :D

You're such a Trekkie :p

• Yes, we need an AU Space Echo emulation. Thanks in advance.

• @Martygras said:

:D

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I grew out of Star Trek.............but not Dr Who or Star Wars :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Martygras said:

:D

@Fruitbat1919 said:

I grew out of Star Trek.............but not Dr Who or Star Wars :D

No one ever grows out of Dr Who ;)

• edited October 2016

@AndyPlankton said:

actually there is no sound in space, its dead silent, sound needs some medium to travel like air or water (and a brain to interpret the signal, if you look at sound on a physical level it just different levels of air pressure)
    all the movies where big things are exploding with a big bang in space are fake ;)

• @Crabman said:
    I had a Re-301 in the past which has the amazing sound on sound function.One of my biggest dreams would be someone would emulate a 301 instead of 201 (for ios).Afaik this does not even exist in the desktop world.

Mmhh - I had a 501 with the sound on sound and the chorus too. I think it was very last bit of hardware I sold - nothing will sound quite like it on desktop or mobile, but at least I won't have to clean the heads and splice tape :)

• Still have a 201- but I'm a bit scared of at this point, it wheezes as do I.....

• Space is dark

…also,

It is so endless.

Allegedly.

• It's not a 201 emulation but AUFX Dub has several 'make it more like a tape delay' settings. Duplicat also captures part of that tape mojo too.

• Not a tape based echo, but I happen to have an Ibanez AD-202 and also an Ibanez AD-100, and they're both a lot of fun – actual knob fun – very pleasing.

• edited October 2016

@lala said:

@AndyPlankton said:

actually there is no sound in space, its dead silent, sound needs some medium to travel like air or water (and a brain to interpret the signal, if you look at sound on a physical level it just different levels of air pressure)
    all the movies where big things are exploding with a big bang in space are fake ;)

I believe they tried in some movies being more true to life and having no sound, but it lacked any impact, sometimes you just have to go with a bit of artistic licence. And the "Space" in Space Echo probably refers to ambience ("this cathedral is a huge space") rather than outer space, although it gives it that retro SF feel.

• In space no one can hear you scream

• auFX:space and EchoPad do very well in emulating tape delay sound.
    Yet there's something special about the 201 that none of the devices catch.
    The Positive Grid visual lookalike is a plain offence imho, it's got nothing to do with the real thing.
    What's crucial for the Roland Sound is the head distance and combination, the GS-201 VST device has exactly these specs and that alone makes it stand out from any tape delay. It doesn't mean that it sounds particularly great, but it rings immediately 'space echo' when you hear it. Something that really surprised me, as I have a ton of such devices on various platform.
    And it's strange because the feature is really simple to implement: just restrict yourself to the original possibilities and DO NOT make it more flexible ;)
    The spring isn't engaged on all head choices (irrc) and spring sound generally is quite demanding to implement.

• edited October 2016

@PhilW said: And the "Space" in Space Echo probably refers to ambience ("this cathedral is a huge space") rather than outer space, although it gives it that retro SF feel.

when did it come out?
    in the space age?
    in the 70s?
    after the moon landing?

• It's excellent for Reggae Dub, with a sprinkle of Spring Reverb.

• @lala said:

@PhilW said: And the "Space" in Space Echo probably refers to ambience ("this cathedral is a huge space") rather than outer space, although it gives it that retro SF feel.

when did it come out?
    in the space age?
    in the 70s?
    after the moon landing?

http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/the-roland-re-201-space-echo-story/

• You can tell - Eurostile Bold Extended.

• edited October 2016

yes there seems no proper 201 emulation for iOS. Actually I bought Tonestack for that delay, not for the amp sims. It's usable, as well as the Duplikat delay app, but not comparable with the excellent plugin for PC/Mac from GSI.

But I think it could be done in Audulus. Or by a clever iOS developer, as a new app. Preferably a straight emulation with only one addition, delay time sync to MIDI clock.

• No--one can hear you scream..cream..ream..eam..mmm....

• edited October 2016

@Phil999 said:
    yes there seems no proper 201 emulation for iOS. Actually I bought Tonestack for that delay, not for the amp sims. It's usable, as well as the Duplikat delay app, but not comparable with the excellent plugin for PC/Mac from GSI.

But I think it could be done in Audulus. Or by a clever iOS developer, as a new app. Preferably a straight emulation with only one addition, delay time sync to MIDI clock.

Same here but then something occurred, was it via an update ??? & I apparently no longer owned the ToneStack cosmic echo & was informed that I would need to re-purchase :/ I didn't. There's also the 'Tape Delay' & 'Multi-head' fx in JamUp. Cubasis' tape delay effect isn't bad & although there's no shortage of decent iOS delay fx a nicely done standalone iaa/au space echo emulation would be ace.

• I must admit, I personally prefer BBD delay to tape delay. Even back in the '90s at the height of my vintage acquisition phase, I saw Space Echo examples, all quite expensive, and most well maintained and displayed with pride, but you could see things were only going to get worse for them not better. Back in the '70s when I had mono reel to reels and used to make tape loops and other experiments with razor blades and splicing tape, I went delay crazy, as one would. The regeneration loss was a significant downside, to me. BBD delay has a different kind of regeneration loss, which to my taste I prefer compared to the tape flavour.

• @lala said:

@AndyPlankton said:

'In space no one can hear you scream'
    That was the promo for 'Alien'