Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iKaossilator

edited December 2012 in Support and Feedback

Tried out iKaossilator with Jam, Audulus stereo patch, and Nlog as the effects on an iPad 2 using MT DAW. There were lots of audio drop outs while trying to play and record the sounds. This doesn't surprise me as trying to run multiple apps while using midi has resulted in similar issues as they start to overload the resources of the iOS device.

It was interesting to hear the audio recorded by MT DAW as despite the dropouts heard while recording, they did not appear in the final recordings. I think we need to be realistic about our expectations about how far we can go and what combinations will be viable on our devices especially when many of the apps were developed in an environment where running multiple apps concurrently really wasn't a consideration.

Comments

• edited December 2012

Audiobus error correction at work... :)
    The only really viable solution to these issues is getting the fastest devices possible and currently that's an iPad 4.

Thanks for posting this though, we haven't had any chance to play around with the KORG apps ourselves. KORG totally surprised us with this update.

• Having purchased an Ipad 3 earlier in the year when it was released I must admit to not being all that impressed when Apple released a new version with twice the power only 6 months later. However now that Audiobus has arrived I couldn't be happier with Apples decision!

The quad-core processor on the latest iPad is especially great with the multi-tasking requirements of Audiobus. If you own a 3rd generation iPad get it listed on eBay as their prices are still holding up well and you'll be able to upgrade to the latest iPad for less than £100 (or there abouts).

• Tried a similar experiment with these app combinations on an iPad 3 and had similar glitches. When I didn't use MT DAW in the chain, there were no dropouts.

• I'm finding that it's sometimes best to run your multi-tasking workflows without Audiobus first (run all apps and supporting sequencer in background mode). If things work well and you're ready to record your performance sometimes Loopy works better than Multitrack Daw but you'll only be able to record one instrument at a time. Multitrack Daw definitely has performance issues with certain app combinations but there again you are asking an awful lot of your iPad's processor even on the iPad 4.

Running 'System Status' in the background is great for seeing which apps are causing any problems -
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/system-status-activity-monitor/id401457165?mt=8 - this links to the paid version but there is a free 'lite' version available too.

• oh.my.goodness. iKaoscilator is here. What a great couple of weeks this has been.