Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some midiSTEPs love

Just wanted to give some due props to dev-colleague @artkerns for making midiSTEPs fully AUv3 compatible.
It's a hoot playing around with it as an ultra minimalistic AU groovebox. It even supports AUv3 parameter locks (like changing the FM algorithm on every step, awesome...)!

This thing and a few Audio Units is like having the iPad equivalent of making music on a bunch of Volcas: quick, accessible, minimalistic fun.

Comments

• Oft overlooked SH101 like fun but with 4x :)
    MidiLFOs is groovy too

• @brambos

You have Ruismaker, Ruismaker FM and Phasemaker to come. You need one more to fill your midiSTEP. What will it be? ;)

• midiSTEPs is 'groovy', hope it gets Link soon too.
    Apple made no major changes to midi in iOS10 so @artkerns should feel safe in making midiSTEPs 'Linked' :)

• @brambos

Perhaps Ruismaker Sample :o

• So many ideas so little time :p

• Here here. What a great app.

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Oft overlooked SH101 like fun but with 4x :)

Indeed. Love my sh101 sequencer and this works very similarly. But with undo! And it's polyphonic! And saving! And you can transpose without holding the silly transpose button. :) Spoiled.

One thing the you can do with the SH that we can't do with midiSteps yet: you can record a sequence of notes and then use the TRIG in to trigger each note in the sequence instead of using the clock to trigger them on each pulse. Means you can take a single 8 note sequence and get infinite (feeling) variations from it by sending different gate patterns to the SH's TRIG in.

• @syrupcore said:
    Here here. What a great app.

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Oft overlooked SH101 like fun but with 4x :)

Indeed. Love my sh101 sequencer and this works very similarly. But with undo! And it's polyphonic! And saving! And you can transpose without holding the silly transpose button. :) Spoiled.

One thing the you can do with the SH that we can't do with midiSteps yet: you can record a sequence of notes and then use the TRIG in to trigger each note in the sequence instead of using the clock to trigger them on each pulse. Means you can take a single 8 note sequence and get infinite (feeling) variations from it by sending different gate patterns to the SH's TRIG in.

Funny you should say that, I've been sort of doing that, but playing a sequence of notes live over the other sequences. I have one Ruis, one Ruis FM and a Jussi and play another Ruis FM live over them by good old manually hitting the notes :p Takes effort to manually hit the keys, but I do rest up with a coffee afterwards ;)

• @brambos said:
    Just wanted to give some due props to dev-colleague @artkerns for making midiSTEPs fully AUv3 compatible.
    It's a hoot playing around with it as an ultra minimalistic AU groovebox. It even supports AUv3 parameter locks (like changing the FM algorithm on every step, awesome...)!

This thing and a few Audio Units is like having the iPad equivalent of making music on a bunch of Volcas: quick, accessible, minimalistic fun.

Thanks for the tip, didn't think about it !!

• Brambos, i dont get it, how do you use the paramter locks ?+ i cant get that to work.. :(

• @Hansson said:
    Brambos, i dont get it, how do you use the paramter locks ?+ i cant get that to work.. :(

Click the CC-button, then select one of the AU-Parameters in the slots that appear (they are nicely named, so you don't even need to look up the CC codes). Now you can set values with the sliders and they will automatically be added to the next step.

• ahhh there we go, thanks, i am gonna dive right into it now

• midiSTEPs needs Link. Please. I mean really.

• Was trying something new today with midisteps, using the chord per step, making the tempo subdivision whole notes, and doing a long, slow chord progression in one pattern.

• Would love to hear some of the things you all are making with midiSteps. I imagine the good Mr. Kerns would too!

• edited October 2016

@brambos
    Thanks for this thread, reinstalled it now and having some good fun! (@artkerns stuff is an auto-buy for me but this one had been under-explored). Next thing for me to try is running my outboard studio with this gem, (driving DSP and HW synths for recording into desktop)

For indevice multitracking, It would be swell if midiSteps "published" its four channels of audio as seperate IAA audio outs (the way Modstep and AUM and some DAWs do...)

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @brambos
    Thanks for this thread, reinstalled it now and having some good fun! (@artkerns stuff is an auto-buy for me but this one had been under-explored). Next thing for me to try is running my outboard studio with this gem, (driving DSP and HW synths for recording into desktop)

For indevice multitracking, It would be swell if midiSteps "published" its four channels of audio as seperate IAA audio outs (the way Modstep and AUM and some DAWs do...)

+1 This is the main reason I'm not using this great app much, not being able to record out all instruments separately. That and no Link yet. But maybe someday... :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @brambos

+1 This is the main reason I'm not using this great app much, not being able to record out all instruments separately. That and no Link yet. But maybe someday... :)

Can always host the apps elsewhere (AB, AUM...) and use midiSteps as the sequencer alone.

• @syrupcore said:

@Carnbot said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    @brambos

Can always host the apps elsewhere (AB, AUM...) and use midiSteps as the sequencer alone.

That's true, but I feel it comes alive more when you aren't screen hopping and the AUs can be tweaked quickly.That said, I think Link is my first wish for it.

• @Carnbot Yeah, I hear you. The screens game isn't always so fun. I mostly use it with hardware.

• edited October 2016

@syrupcore said:
    @Carnbot Yeah, I hear you. The screens game isn't always so fun. I mostly use it with hardware.

Too many moving parts, indevice.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@syrupcore said:
    @Carnbot Yeah, I hear you. The screens game isn't always so fun. I mostly use it with hardware.

Haven't tried that but have done midiSteps -> AudioBus hosted apps -> AUM.

• @syrupcore said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@syrupcore said:

I'm hoping for a 2 app solve, midistep + recording destination..not counting the 4 instruments. Seems like AUM can assign midi in by channel from midistep. Per each AU. This revival of midistep might lead to a reinstall of AUM as well.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@syrupcore said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@syrupcore said:

I'm hoping for a 2 app solve, midistep + recording destination..not counting the 4 instruments. Seems like AUM can assign midi in by channel from midistep. Per each AU. This revival of midistep might lead to a reinstall of AUM as well.

Midisteps into AUM would work well. I was jamming with midisteps tonight and think I like the idea of creating the basis of the track with AUs hosted in Midisteps and when ready to record stuff switch hosting to AUM to take advantage of fx and automation etc. But being able to just start up Midisteps with all the AUs ready makes it very pick up n play to create in.

• edited October 2016

3 apps still, but Audiobus strictly for solving the screens switching issue with its control panel. AUM hosts the instruments, and records, midiSTEPS doing sequencing and cc magic, and both Audiobus and AUM keeping the set up simple with templates and state saving.
    Another device-as-DAW build...pretty neat and open ended!

Friend @brambos' differing note schemes on the 2 Ruismakers means that one midiSTEPs track (using chords) can sequence 2 drum tracks in AUM, one for each synth...

• edited October 2016

@Littlewoodg said:
    Friend @brambos' differing note schemes on the 2 Ruismakers means that one midiSTEPs track (using chords) can sequence 2 drum tracks in AUM, one for each synth...

Now that is hard core.

• Fuck- MIDI STEP

Total Forgot about that app.

Wow.

Ideas in my head causing pressure..................

• The rest of my life is in shambles as my dedication and music production dominate on deadlines and such.

AU and LINK are literally life altering for me! LOL

Yes pathetic life

• I'd been admiring this one from afar for a long time and finally picked it up. I love its streamlined workflow. Really dig the old school play in one step at a time. Works well when you have a melody in your head. @artkerns there are a couple of things that would help take this little beauty to the next level IMO. Poking around on the forum I know I'm not the first to mention some of these

*Link. With so many apps implementing it the lack of Link in a MIDI sequencer is a big omission. MIDIlinksync works but it's a workflow and inspiration buzzkill. Using MIDIlinsync also eats up one of the four channels

*Different speed per pattern

*either a song mode or at least a way to play patterns sequentially other than playing them in clip launch mode. I tried every combination under options, pattern and couldn't get patterns to play in sequence.

• Come on, Athur Give us link. And for midiLFOs too. Please.
    By all means make new apps/versions to get the revenue you deserve.

• & Link for FunBox!......