Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Non-Realtime Step Recording on IOS : General discussion of relevant apps (& whether ModStep can )

Common as a recording mode on hardware /software sequencers & some synths , Step recording is non realtime entry of note/s where the timeline will advance to the next step on input . The timing divisions could be fixed or there could be the option to lengthen or shorten the step prior to each entry . Ties & rests can be added & ideally there is the option to scroll along the timeline .

So what apps offer this ? ideally with external keyboard input
I know of Midisteps which is polyphonic ,
Midisequencer & Thesys which are both monophonic (on note entry anyway )

I had assumed ModStep , because of its name & "Stepsequencer" page could record this way , but It doesnt seem possible . If it is could someone explain how .
Also what other apps have this recording mode & how does it function ?
I'm pretty sure Auria /Pro cant . Cubasis ? Genome ?

I'm hoping this thread could become a reference . Thanks

Comments

• The iOS trackers, iSequence, Sunvox, Vividtracker...

• iSequence (I just like to say it out loud)....terrific little program and number one on my list of stuff-that's-older but I'd really like to see an update even though it's still great as is etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    iSequence (I just like to say it out loud)....terrific little program and number one on my list of stuff-that's-older but I'd really like to see an update even though it's still great as is etc.

A gem, no question.

• edited October 2016

Little MIDI Machine will do step programming with a midi keyboard. 4 tracks of 16 steps, or one track of 64. Midisteps is a souped up version of LMM, same developer, Art Kerns.

• Meteor has a step entry mode but I've never really used it.

• MidiSequencer will very soon be poly btw...

• @midiSequencer said:
    MidiSequencer will very soon be poly btw...

Do mean in addition to the 'chord mode' that is already there?
    Or are can we expect a 'grid' to fill with notes and other cc's?

• edited October 2016

@Samu said:

@midiSequencer said:

Or are can we expect a 'grid' to fill with notes and other cc's?

3 sequences in a rack - each can have single melodic line- but that melodic line can include chords.
    the grid is my other wip and is aimed at songs (intro, verse, chorus etc) with clips being a midi files - think of something like AcidPro+Ableton Live.

• Thanks to all input so far .

@midiSequencer do you mean the input from external keyboard will soon allow chords as input notes ? that would be great .

• I haven't opened it in a while but does b-step support step recording?

• @syrupcore said:
    I haven't opened it in a while but does b-step support step recording?

I think you set chord groups internally , so sequencing is turning on / off or transposing predetermined note rows .

• @Wally said:
    Thanks to all input so far .

@midiSequencer do you mean the input from external keyboard will soon allow chords as input notes ? that would be great .

do you want keyboard chord to sequencer step chord or keyboard chord split to 3 sequencer rows?

• @midiSequencer said:
    do you want keyboard chord to sequencer step chord or keyboard chord split to 3 sequencer rows?

Given a choice ...both as an option ,of course , as each would have their use .

If forced to choose 1 , I'd go for step chords , assuming =>4 note chords possible,
    (... & split could be achieved manually anyway .)

• @midiSequencer said:

@Samu said:

@midiSequencer said:

3 sequences in a rack - each can have single melodic line- but that melodic line can include chords.

Only three? Can't you make it go up to eleven?

• @midiSequencer said:

@Wally said:
    Thanks to all input so far .

The first idea seems more servicable. The second seems much more esoteric, and wouldn't be hard to reproduce manually, if you actually needed it, like a harmony being split to different sounds.

• @Wally said:

@midiSequencer said:

Given a choice ...both as an option ,of course , as each would have their use .

If forced to choose 1 , I'd go for step chords , assuming =>4 note chords possible,
    (... & split could be achieved manually anyway .)

I'd probably go with 1 too but having both would be amazing. Two fun (to me anyway) use cases for the split option.

1) Send a chord one voice at a time to multiple mono synths.
    1a) Indeed, with the clock stopped, this would probably be the basis for the voice allocation/distribution thing a few of us have asked about (ala Polymerapp on OSX).
    2) Single note arpeggios based on midi processing and transposition settings for each sequencer. After recording, messing with sequence length and step on/offs this could make for some really interesting melodic stuff.

• I have the same question in summer 2018. What MIDI sequencers have a step recording mode that supports an external controller (keyboard) for note entry.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I have the same question in summer 2018. What MIDI sequencers have a step recording mode that supports an external controller (keyboard) for note entry.

Simple answer: Genome MIDI.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I have the same question in summer 2018. What MIDI sequencers have a step recording mode that supports an external controller (keyboard) for note entry.

SunVox will in the tracker. They just added support for a typing keyboard too, but MIDI keyboard support always worked at least since I’ve been using SunVox 1.8 or whatever it was.

• Are you suer that Genome MIDI does polyphonic step recording from onscreen and MIDI keyboard. I don't see step-recording listed in the app store on their web site. (By step recording, I mean: press a record button, play a note or chord on the keyboard, optionally advance the record head (if it does not automatically advance), play more, etc, until I stop recording.

Thanks.

• I'll dig into the SunVox docs. I didn't realize that it could do step recording via MIDI. Can it also easily export MIDI files?

@DMan said:

@espiegel123 said:

SunVox will in the tracker. They just added support for a typing keyboard too, but MIDI keyboard support always worked at least since I’ve been using SunVox 1.8 or whatever it was.

• @espiegel123 said:

Have you tried the stuff already mentioned in this thread? If so, what are they missing for you?

• edited August 2018

@espiegel123 said:
    I'll dig into the SunVox docs. I didn't realize that it could do step recording via MIDI. Can it also easily export MIDI files?

@DMan said:

@espiegel123 said:

I would hope so, I’m not sure if you can select the individual tracks, but I would like to think so.

Despite the fact that SunVox was my 2nd paid app, I never got really deep into it. I honestly used it more back in my iPhone only days before I got my iPad. I mostly used it on Raspberry Pi and Windows and then exported the sounds to my phone, never used it much as a sequencer other than a quick drum sequencer. I also almost never export MIDI from anything.

If you don’t own SunVox, it’s free on all desktop platforms so you can try it out.

• Thanks. Though I have SunVox, I've not really learned to use it as anything other than a modular synth (and not really even spent enough time with those features). The sequencing and sampling features are something I should learn about. Thanks for the tip.

• edited August 2018

no new ones since 2016 that I know of, but it’s definite in Genome @espiegel123

• @Littlewoodg said:
    Meteor also has step recording for midi

As an iap if I recall correctly.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    Meteor also has step recording for midi

As an iap if I recall correctly.

Yep and I saw you’d already mentioned it and edited my entry...old thread, tons of good info already.

Only thing I could add was that trusty Genome does it too

• @espiegel123 said:
    Are you suer that Genome MIDI does polyphonic step recording from onscreen and MIDI keyboard. I don't see step-recording listed in the app store on their web site. (By step recording, I mean: press a record button, play a note or chord on the keyboard, optionally advance the record head (if it does not automatically advance), play more, etc, until I stop recording.

Yes I am because I'm using it regularly.
    You play a note or chord on the keyboard and by tapping on any horizontal position in the piano roll, you place that chord wherever you want. You can also tap-drag to place a longer note, or loop-record in realtime.
    Undo and redo also works.
    It's the fastest way to compose on a piano roll with arbitrary chords that I know of.

• Tx for the info.