Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dhalang Microtonal Groovebox (updates, requests.. )

(Update 1.5)

• Major GUI optimization (re-wrote the GUI threading so that even ultra high resolutions (like in iPad Pro) are fast and latency-free)
  • Added document picker support (meaning file transfers between Audioshare etc.. tested and working)
  • Sampler and additive synth polyphony increased to 16 voices per instrument (also now easier to overload the cpu)
  • Extended filesystem on container (editable subdirectories, copy/cut/paste, now possible to use rendered output wavs in samplers)
  • Volume and stop control in sample preview player.
  • More automation/midi control added to instruments (modulation/fm, and lfos)
  • Added mini transports on sequence generator views.
  • 16 bit rendering fixed
  • Other smaller GUI fixes

Things to come in future updates: fixed language translations (russian, chinese..) by native speakers, midi learn subsystem for cc values, more modulation, ... and feasible user requests.

More information about the software: hypertonal.net/dhalang/

Comments

• This looks very interesting. What do I get that I don't already have in Korg's Gadget?

• @Thomas said:
    This looks very interesting. What do I get that I don't already have in Korg's Gadget?

From browsing the website, MIDI OUT, would be one thing, as well as optional generative sequencers of various kinds, and better sampling capabilities. Alternative tuning systems if you prefer. Looks like you can edit multiple automations at once also.

• @Hypertonal cool update makes this app even stronger. Great work :)

• Wow man. That's a hell of an update. Congrats on getting it out the door.

• Seems like a complicated whim and twenty bucks feels a little much for that (for me), but am willing to be persuaded by someone who was also whimsical but is making this thing musical etc.

• edited October 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Seems like a complicated whim and twenty bucks feels a little much for that (for me), but am willing to be persuaded by someone who was also whimsical but is making this thing musical etc.

I'm somewhat surprised you think that. Not a criticism. I too am having trouble pulling the trigger on this one, but I've become obsessed with it and may not be able to resist.

Seems it should be more in the $10 range, but I can ALSO see that it's a very unique and niche app that likely won't sell a lot of units, so the price has to be a bit higher.

I'll likely cave soon, but I'm still holding out for now. My brain just wants to get all up inside this beast and get really lost in it's strangely beautiful bits and bizarre stochastic wavelengths.

• @skiphunt said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Seems like a complicated whim and twenty bucks feels a little much for that (for me), but am willing to be persuaded by someone who was also whimsical but is making this thing musical etc.

I've somewhat surprised you think that. Not a criticism. I too am having trouble pulling the trigger on this one, but I've become obsessed with it and may not be able to resist.

Seems it should be more in the $10 range, but I can ALSO see that it's a very unique and niche app that likely won't sell a lot of units, so the price has to be a bit higher.

I'll likely cave soon, but I'm still holding out for now. My brain just wants to get all up inside this beast and get really lost in it's strangely beautiful bits and bizarre stochastic wavelengths.

Same here. I need someone to show me something more. I see they have some videos on their site, so watching them tomorrow, see if it grabs me. I must be getting over my app addiction! ;)

• I paid the price of this app because when talking to the dev I could tell he was ernest and in spite of the learning curve this app is one of those that you'd want to have on your device once the whole iOS platform goes belly up.
    I requested audioshare document picker, sub directories, volume control on the sample previewer, and mini transports on sequence generator views... just the other day like a week ago and he delivered!!!!

• Thank you Hypertonal!

• @Hypertonal unless I am missing something I would like to see more save slots for synth sounds. I can tweak and change a sound, change the name and save my changes but that appears to overwrite the preset. It would be good to choose 'new'.

• I have a problem to load the app with the update. Sometimes it freezes.
    When it loads, I still can not get the Sample option to work. Neither Audiocopy nor Dropbox (it just shows one PDF file) get a sample to work on. Even Audioshare is not sending the samples to Dhalang MG.
    Any ideas what could be wrong?
    My Ipad is an Air1. IOS 9.2

• @ugb1 said:
    I have a problem to load the app with the update. Sometimes it freezes.
    When it loads, I still can not get the Sample option to work. Neither Audiocopy nor Dropbox (it just shows one PDF file) get a sample to work on. Even Audioshare is not sending the samples to Dhalang MG.
    Any ideas what could be wrong?
    My Ipad is an Air1. IOS 9.2

Try restarting I'm on an iPad air 2 with 9.3.5, and after logging into my dropbox account all my dropbox files are accessible from within Dhalang Audioshare work goods to as I was able to send files from icloud to Audioshare and into Dhalang. I do wish we could access iCloud directly from the app like drop box. Plus as @Trueyorky mentioned more save slots for synth presets.

• Yeah, no problems here using Air 2 iOS 9.3.3

• @ugb1 not sure if this is related to your problem but on my iPad 3 which is not officially supported but it still runs. But when I try to set up dropbox support , I log in to dropbox and get the Dhalang can access your dropbox message. When I go back to Dhalang it shows the splash screen then when I try to access dropbox from the app it makes me go thru the steps to setup dropbox again.

• Just bought this.

Oh boy... This is going to take awhile. Feels like I was just handed the audio equivalent of that insidiously bizarre box from Hellraiser. Going to lose some sleep for sure.

Pinhead: Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

• Getting further into this and diggin it. Hard to explain what it's like, but I'd kind of describe it as an u
    Interesting synth that's highly tweakable with multiple stances, sequencers that can be programmed, played, effected by generative particle swarms, all at the same time and individually.

Sort of like a weird hybrid between Xynthesizr, Moebius Lab, SoundScaper & Fieldscaper & iDensity, with a slicer looping thing thrown in as well.

Or, you can simply use it as a synth.

The controls are a little fidgety, but it's very close.

Love it and no regret. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Getting further into this and diggin it. Hard to explain what it's like, but I'd kind of describe it as an u
    Interesting synth that's highly tweakable with multiple stances, sequencers that can be programmed, played, effected by generative particle swarms, all at the same time and individually.

Sort of like a weird hybrid between Xynthesizr, Moebius Lab, SoundScaper & Fieldscaper & iDensity, with a slicer looping thing thrown in as well.

Wows, you're making it hard to resist....

I wish for videos more on the microtonal parts and all the special features not found in other synths...just put one sound, run it in microtonal, tweak, sequence it...etc
    Does it record automation?
    Skip, do you get interesting sounds out of it? Tweaked out of ordinary sound?

• @soundklinik said:

@skiphunt said:
    Getting further into this and diggin it. Hard to explain what it's like, but I'd kind of describe it as an u

Wows, you're making it hard to resist....

I wish for videos more on the microtonal parts and all the special features not found in other synths...just put one sound, run it in microtonal, tweak, sequence it...etc
    Does it record automation?
    Skip, do you get interesting sounds out of it? Tweaked out of ordinary sound?

I only bought last night and stayed up late with it.

Played a bit this morning and started getting decent stuff out of it.

Haven't tried field recordings yet, but used some samples I have in AudioShare in the sample section.

The interface is quirky, but once you get used to it, it starts to make more sense.

I've only scratched the surface so I can't say if it has automation, but you can have a sequence targeting a synth and have that same synth targeted by the highly configurable generative section, and play a touch player ALL at the same time!

All I can say is that I'm impressed amazed and intrigued enough to dive in deep with this one. But, I can't say it's all that intuitive. I haven't figured out the intimidating Matrix section at all yet, but I did get it generating interesting sound too, AND at the same time all that other stuff was going.

I don't like buying the more pricey apps in general, but for my interests, this app is worth the price and I'm glad I took the plunge.

• @soundklinik I forgot to add... in addition to all the stuff I described it'll do in my previous post.. you can ALSO send out midi to control external synths. You can even send out the stochastically generated midi as well. And theres another section of the app called Vector, that I haven't even played with yet.

Again, like it said... barely scratching the surface. It's like 5 apps of functionality all wrapped up into one.

And, it's not very big either. 37MB

Keep in mind though, I'm not a "tune-smith" I like screwing with sounds and making weird, generative, twisted soundscape stuff. You can use it for song type stuff, but that's not my thing so I can't really comment on it's value in that arena.

• @skiphunt I'm more into straightforward synth / sampling / sequencing and it is also really good at that. This is a very accomplished app that offers so many things and it does them all really well.

• @Trueyorky said:
    @skiphunt I'm more into straightforward synth / sampling / sequencing and it is also really good at that. This is a very accomplished app that offers so many things and it does them all really well.

@skiphunt said:
    @soundklinik I forgot to add... in addition to all the stuff I described it'll do in my previous post.. you can ALSO send out midi to control external synths. You can even send out the stochastically generated midi as well. And theres another section of the app called Vector, that I haven't even played with yet.

Again, like it said... barely scratching the surface. It's like 5 apps of functionality all wrapped up into one.

Keep in mind though, I'm not a "tune-smith" I like screwing with sounds and making weird, generative, twisted soundscape stuff. You can use it for song type stuff, but that's not my thing so I can't really comment on it's value in that arena.

Thank you both, very good feedback, that....... I wish I never read.... <3

You can still save me twenty bucks if you tell me that it freezes, crashes a lot and....sounds terrible...thanks ;)

• edited October 2016

@Trueyorky said:
    @skiphunt I'm more into straightforward synth / sampling / sequencing and it is also really good at that. This is a very accomplished app that offers so many things and it does them all really well.

Indeed. But, some of the interface does need some tweaking/refining. For example, sometimes moving samples in from AudioShare can be sketchy, and sometimes when I'm trying to activate the touch keys for the specific sync I'm working with, it'll be kind of locked to another synth. I'll have to go back and forth a couple times before it'll give touch control on the synth I want.

I discovered this evening that you can have up to 8 different analog synths, all tweaked for different sounds, 4 physical synths also tweaked for different sounds, 6 different imported sample clips, an additive synth, 16 different piano roll sequences all targeting different synths and samples, 10 matrix sequences all driving different synths and samples, a multitude of generative particle generators all targeting different synths and samples, etc.

And, you can do ALL of this at once, while ALSO driving all of the sequences to 16 external midi channels.

You can live play a "touch play" surface too.

Gets really quite weird and overwhelming quickly.

Haven't even figured out any of the vector module yet.

The deeper you go, the more impressive and a little intimidating it gets. But, in a good way.

• edited October 2016

@skiphunt said:
    I discovered this evening that you can have up to 8 different analog synths, all tweaked for different sounds, 4 physical synths also tweaked for different sounds, 6 different imported sample clips, an additive synth, 16 different piano roll sequences all targeting different synths and samples, 10 matrix sequences all driving different synths and samples, a multitude of generative particle generators all targeting different synths and samples, etc.

And, you can do ALL of this at once, while ALSO driving all of the sequences to 16 external midi channels.

Holly guacamole....that's fantastic
    ...all within the app?... I mean the 8 synths, 4 physical synths and matrix sequences...you don't insert IAA apps right?

• edited October 2016

@soundklinik said:

@Trueyorky said:

@skiphunt said:
    @soundklinik I forgot to add... in addition to all the stuff I described it'll do in my previous post.. you can ALSO send out midi to control external synths. You can even send out the stochastically generated midi as well. And theres another section of the app called Vector, that I haven't even played with yet.

Thank you both, very good feedback, that....... I wish I never read.... <3

You can still save me twenty bucks if you tell me that it freezes, crashes a lot and....sounds terrible...thanks ;)

I've had no crashes or freezes at all. But, although I've made really cool sound with it, I have ALSO managed to easily make VERY over saturated chaotic messes of horrible sound with it too... if that helps you save your twenty bucks ;) lol

• What we need is a definitive Doug review if this app. Not just a run through of presets, but an exploration of what it can really do.

• Jon "Pantsofdeath" Rawlinson pretty much covers it all in his overview.

• Good run through from JR. Much of it sounds like the Klangers Big Day Out, to me. The actual operation of this app also appears rather complex. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider. Even JW admits he doesn't understand elements. Still intrigued, but would like to hear some more melodic use, and hear the midi out working.

• @Nkersov said:
    Good run through from JR. Much of it sounds like the Klangers Big Day Out, to me. The actual operation of this app also appears rather complex. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something to consider. Even JW admits he doesn't understand elements. Still intrigued, but would like to hear some more melodic use, and hear the midi out working.

I wouldn't consider myself an iOS music app wizard by any stretch of the imagination ;) and even I was able to get the hang of it after a few hours.

It looks very complex at first, and indeed it is... but it has a logic that starts to make sense at one point. It mostly opens up for you at that point.

That's not to say there aren't interface refinements and improvements to be had.

I don't have a strong command of the internal sound sculpting yet, but if you use all the different randomize buttons throughout, you get clear evidence it's capable of great variety.

It would be difficult I think for a quicky first impression style video from Doug. It's fairly complex and you have to spend a little time with it without giving up, before it starts revealing itself.

The Pants of Death video is good and useful. It'll definitely get you started.

I think that even if you didn't use its synths at all, or import any of your own sounds to warp up in various ways... if you just used it for its grand variety of sequencers and generative stochastic features to drive external synths via midi... it's worth it for that alone IMHO

• @skiphunt said:
    I think that even if you didn't use its synths at all, or import any of your own sounds to warp up in various ways... if you just used it for its grand variety of sequencers and generative stochastic features to drive external synths via midi... it's worth it for that alone IMHO

>

Okay, thanks for the extra info. :)

• edited October 2016

@Nkersov said:

@skiphunt said:

>

Okay, thanks for the extra info. :)

All that being said, it's likely not for everybody. If you're not grabbed by the PoD video, it might not be for you. I'd just add that for me, Dhalang MG looked VERY intimidating after watching the video. Thought that I'd get too frustrated trying to figure it out and it'd be a waste of $20. But, after spending less time than I thought I'd have to, I've already got a decent command of the app and can use it for good results. Can't put it down now. :)

I've got a better handle on the Vector module that does the stochastic stuff, but I'm not sure what the lower quadrant of the matrix module does.

Forgot to mention, that in addition to everything I've cited so far, there's also an extensive mixer with 4 buses that in-app fx can be added to each channel or globally.

I have not found any parameter automation yet.

There's another module called "Control" that I haven't figured out at all yet, but it looks like it may be some form of built-in DAW. That's a guess though. At the moment I haven't a clue.