Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How are you using your Novation Circuit w/ your iPad (or anything else)?

13»

Comments

• Sorry to disagree

But the BEST app to drive the Circa-jerk is STEPPOLY!

OMG

AMAZING

2nd runner up

B STEP

Giving away trade secrets here....lol

• edited February 2018

iPad to Circuit
    * Funk and Future Drummer into Circuit gives great results once you get the drum mapping sorted....
    * Use the MIDI Synth Circuit editor app for programming the synths.
    * Rozeta Suite - Particularly Bassline (use the Circuit synth editor to set patch to monophonic and add portamento for the slides) for some wicked bass lines, or rhythm to add some variation to drum patterns

Circuit to Ipad
    * MIDI Link Sync - Make sure you have this to be able to sync with Link enabled apps that do not do MIDi sync....it will also allow you to use the tempo control on Circuit to control your session tempo...(it is a shame that the tempo knob does not receive a CC, if it did you could use it to create automated tempo change track in your sequencer.)
    * Sequence any synth app(s) with Midi in - Awesome with Gadget and Groovebox alike......use the circuit sequencer to program your sequence, record the MIDI into gadget/Groovebox, move onto your next sequence, this gives you gadget/Groovebox without the need to use the piano roll.
    * Run circuit alongside any or all of the Ampify apps.....Use Launchpad app (with IAP) to provide sync to Circuit and link to the other apps. Really awesome DJ type setup using Circuit + Launchpad App + Launchpad controller + LaunchControl XL.
    * Circuit + Looptunes - Still to be tried fully, but is showing early signs of a lot of promise

Circuit + Other stuff
    Circuit as main sequencer - Using it to record/sequence Bass Station II on channel 1 and Mininova on Channel 2.....MIDI Synced to Electribe Sampler 2 providing further sample drums and Instrument tracks.....using program change you can make Circuit control which patterns on Electribe play with which sessions.....man I have lost a LOT of time immersed in this setup.

Circuit = the single most useful, satisfying, easy to use piece of music equipment I have EVER bought

• @AndyPlankton said:
    iPad to Circuit
    * Funk and Future Drummer into Circuit gives great results once you get the drum mapping sorted....
    * Use the MIDI Synth Circuit editor app for programming the synths.
    * Rozeta Suite - Particularly Bassline (use the Circuit synth editor to set patch to monophonic and add portamento for the slides) for some wicked bass lines, or rhythm to add some variation to drum patterns

Circuit to Ipad
    * MIDI Link Sync - Make sure you have this to be able to sync with Link enabled apps that do not do MIDi sync....it will also allow you to use the tempo control on Circuit to control your session tempo...(it is a shame that the tempo knob does not receive a CC, if it did you could use it to create automated tempo change track in your sequencer.)
    * Sequence any synth app(s) with Midi in - Awesome with Gadget and Groovebox alike......use the circuit sequencer to program your sequence, record the MIDI into gadget/Groovebox, move onto your next sequence, this gives you gadget/Groovebox without the need to use the piano roll.
    * Run circuit alongside any or all of the Ampify apps.....Use Launchpad app (with IAP) to provide sync to Circuit and link to the other apps. Really awesome DJ type setup using Circuit + Launchpad App + Launchpad controller + LaunchControl XL.
    * Circuit + Looptunes - Still to be tried fully, but is showing early signs of a lot of promise

Circuit + Other stuff
    Circuit as main sequencer - Using it to record/sequence Bass Station II on channel 1 and Mininova on Channel 2.....MIDI Synced to Electribe Sampler 2 providing further sample drums and Instrument tracks.....using program change you can make Circuit control which patterns on Electribe play with which sessions.....man I have lost a LOT of time immersed in this setup.

Circuit = the single most useful, satisfying, easy to use piece of music equipment I have EVER bought

I was thinking about a thread.

Like post a minute snippet audio compilation of several of the projects on your circuit but, like one take, do 1, then another, sort of random in a way but a synopsis of the things you are doing on it.

Not sure if others would dig that thread or not.

I am shocked at the cool stuff I find on mine.

I must have a good sample bank, I haven't changed in over a month so it is obviously checking all my boxes.

• edited February 2018

I have a keyboard with USB midi only. I use this to connect keyboard to my iPad via cck but does anyone know how to connect the keyboard to the circuit via USB?
    I've got the midi breakout cable coming out the circuit and my USB cable coming out the keyboard. They don't fit together ;)

• You might need a USB hub so you can plug both the keyboard USB and the Circuit USB into the iPad and then use an app to route keyboard to Circuit

• @DYMS said:
    You might need a USB hub so you can plug both the keyboard USB and the Circuit USB into the iPad and then use an app to route keyboard to Circuit

I don't need the iPad for this setup. Just want to play the circuit synth with my keyboard keys

• @Redo1
    In that case, you will have to find a USB cable that can connect the two of them based on what is coming out of your keyboard, and ensure that the Midi out of the keyboard is set to the channel you want to control on the Circuit (1,2, or 10).

• @Redo1 said:

@DYMS said:
    You might need a USB hub so you can plug both the keyboard USB and the Circuit USB into the iPad and then use an app to route keyboard to Circuit

I don't need the iPad for this setup. Just want to play the circuit synth with my keyboard keys

In order to connect 2 usb devices you need a USB host, not just a hub.......There are a few USB host boxes that exist (http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml)....without one of these hosts you will need to use a hub and CCK to be able to connect the 2 usb's and then use the iPad as your USB host.

If you want to do it standalone then you will either need said USB Host box OR use a keyboard that has a 5 pin midi out socket, which you can then connect directly to circuit.

• Ok. Thank you guys. That's really too bad.
    I bought this 3.5mm minijack to female usb cable a while ago for something like this after I thought I saw someone using it for this purpose.
    This does not work though.

• Experimenting with my beloved Novation Circuit....
    Midi generated with Rozeta sequencer suite by Bram Bos
    Processed field recording with the awesome FieldScaper by Igor Vasiliev
    Lo-Fi recording live in one take into ‘99 Blueberry iMac!!

• Personally if I was to choose I'd choose to sequence IOS synths (Zeeon?) with Circuit and not the other way around.

I find Circuit's sound engine a bit sketchy but sequencer rather quick and capable, especially when it comes to odd time signatures.

At present I just use it in parallel synced to Loopy but definitely find useful to have Beatstep knobs mapped to some of the parameters not covered by the macros. Still fine tuning the control mappings but getting close.

• @supadom said:
    Personally if I was to choose I'd choose to sequence IOS synths (Zeeon?) with Circuit and not the other way around.

I find Circuit's sound engine a bit sketchy but sequencer rather quick and capable, especially when it comes to odd time signatures.

At present I just use it in parallel synced to Loopy but definitely find useful to have Beatstep knobs mapped to some of the parameters not covered by the macros. Still fine tuning the control mappings but getting close.

What do you mean by sketchy?

I am wondering if you have the words I can't seem to get out at times with this.

• @supadom said:
    Personally if I was to choose I'd choose to sequence IOS synths (Zeeon?) with Circuit and not the other way around.

Thanks for the insight, I haven’t tried sequencing this way round yet, no doubt I will...
    it’s great fun to switch between patches mid flow too... I like the idea of mapping ccs of ‘hidden’ macros... some (more) generative shenanigans on the horizon I feel!
    :)

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

I am wondering if you have the words I can't seem to get out at times with this.

Dunno, I get ear fatigue every time I start sound sculpting with the PC editor. I find it gets muddy very quickly but might be that I’m generally into warm and fuzzy as opposed to digital and edgy type of sounds.

• @id_23 said:

@supadom said:

Thanks for the insight, I haven’t tried sequencing this way round yet, no doubt I will...
    it’s great fun to switch between patches mid flow too... I like the idea of mapping ccs of ‘hidden’ macros... some (more) generative shenanigans on the horizon I feel!
    :)

This might help you

https://d2xhy469pqj8rc.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/12118/circuit-programmers-reference-guide-v1-0.pdf

• @supadom said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

Dunno, I get ear fatigue every time I start sound sculpting with the PC editor. I find it gets muddy very quickly but might be that I’m generally into warm and fuzzy as opposed to digital and edgy type of sounds.

Yeah I think I know what you're saying and agree.

• @supadom said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

I use the iPad editor and I find the same, but in lieu of muddy mine is sort of "harshly bit tube" in anything that has a powerful feel it "screams like a robot being left in the rain" :D