How are you using your Novation Circuit w/ your iPad (or anything else)?

Picking one up tonight and would love to more about your workflow

«1

Comments

  • 59 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0

    Been thinking about this too. Almost bought a used beatstep original for cheap. Obviously the circuit can do much more....for a price.
    Will be interested to hear how it goes.

  • Most of the time I'm using the Circuit as a scratchpad then streaming sketches into a multitrack recording in Ableton for further work. But I do sometimes record it into Blocks Wave on the iPad for more relaxed looping fun, or using it as a drum machine when I'm noodling with the microbrute or Volca FM. It's a pretty versatile little box with a lot of potential workflows.

  • Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

  • I tried it with cubasis and modstep to varying degrees but settled on syncing/recording it into Blocs Wave using 'Link to Midi'. I absolutely love it.

  • @AndyPlankton said:
    Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

    Andy - I'd like to try this, do I just plug in to headphone jack then? Do I still need CCK in this scenario? Is there a way to do this w/ Link from Modstep? And lastly, could you tell me the AUM set up - for some reason I am absolutely baffled by AUM!

  • @Ocsprey said:

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

    Andy - I'd like to try this, do I just plug in to headphone jack then? Do I still need CCK in this scenario? Is there a way to do this w/ Link from Modstep? And lastly, could you tell me the AUM set up - for some reason I am absolutely baffled by AUM!

    Best would be to get a proper audio interface for the ipad for this I have an alesis io dock and like it a lot! Gadget with the nano keys studio and novation circuit seem like the best possible combo.

  • @Ocsprey said:

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

    Andy - I'd like to try this, do I just plug in to headphone jack then? Do I still need CCK in this scenario? Is there a way to do this w/ Link from Modstep? And lastly, could you tell me the AUM set up - for some reason I am absolutely baffled by AUM!

    You need 2 connections from the circuit to the iPad, a USB connection for the midi, and an audio connection for the sound, so you will need a CCK and a USB hub. I use a powered hub, but in this scenario a non powered one would probably work as the circuit is powered either from its batteries or power supply. You will need to use an audio interface to be able to get sound into and also sound out of the iPad to headphones/speakers.
    I am using a behringer uca202 for this, plugged into a powered hub, along with the circuit.

    An alternative would be to just use the internal speaker on the circuit, and let the iPad play through it's speakers, if you do this you do not need the audio connections, but you still need a CCK to connect the USB MIDI part of circuit to the iPad.
    You could also use an external hardware mixer and plug the iPad audio out, and Circuit audio out into that.
    If you do either of these, you do not need to use AUM.

    Use AUM for audio mixing only, do not worry about midi routing, do the midi routing inside ModStep.
    In AUM just add a channel, then select the hardware input as the input for that channel. This will be your Circuit channel,
    Add another channel and then select whichever app you want to use (modStep) for the input into that second channel this is your ModStep channel.
    Now add a third channel and set it's input to be Bus A. Set the output of your other two channels to also be Bus A. This last channel is now your master volume for both Circuit and ModStep.

    For sync you could use an app called MIDI LINK SYNC to sync to ModStep via link, but this is unnecessary because you can sync Circuit and ModStep using MIDI Clock and it works perfectly.
    You can then use Link from within ModStep to sync to other LInk enabled apps. If you want to use other apps, just add another channel in AUM for each app you want to use and route the output top Bus A.

    This seems complicated with all the instructions and all, but it really isn't.

  • @AndyPlankton said:

    @Ocsprey said:

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

    Andy - I'd like to try this, do I just plug in to headphone jack then? Do I still need CCK in this scenario? Is there a way to do this w/ Link from Modstep? And lastly, could you tell me the AUM set up - for some reason I am absolutely baffled by AUM!

    You need 2 connections from the circuit to the iPad, a USB connection for the midi, and an audio connection for the sound, so you will need a CCK and a USB hub. I use a powered hub, but in this scenario a non powered one would probably work as the circuit is powered either from its batteries or power supply. You will need to use an audio interface to be able to get sound into and also sound out of the iPad to headphones/speakers.
    I am using a behringer uca202 for this, plugged into a powered hub, along with the circuit.

    An alternative would be to just use the internal speaker on the circuit, and let the iPad play through it's speakers, if you do this you do not need the audio connections, but you still need a CCK to connect the USB MIDI part of circuit to the iPad.
    You could also use an external hardware mixer and plug the iPad audio out, and Circuit audio out into that.
    If you do either of these, you do not need to use AUM.

    Use AUM for audio mixing only, do not worry about midi routing, do the midi routing inside ModStep.
    In AUM just add a channel, then select the hardware input as the input for that channel. This will be your Circuit channel,
    Add another channel and then select whichever app you want to use (modStep) for the input into that second channel this is your ModStep channel.
    Now add a third channel and set it's input to be Bus A. Set the output of your other two channels to also be Bus A. This last channel is now your master volume for both Circuit and ModStep.

    For sync you could use an app called MIDI LINK SYNC to sync to ModStep via link, but this is unnecessary because you can sync Circuit and ModStep using MIDI Clock and it works perfectly.
    You can then use Link from within ModStep to sync to other LInk enabled apps. If you want to use other apps, just add another channel in AUM for each app you want to use and route the output top Bus A.

    This seems complicated with all the instructions and all, but it really isn't.

    Thanks - makes absolute sense. I'll use the CCK w/ AudioHub 2x4 in my case. It's the Bus I've been doing wrong - probably in every scenario. And I assumed I'd need to set the midi route in both Modstep & Aum.

    Is there a way to set up the Bus - so I can filter out either Circuit or Modstep (for one to play another w/out sound from one)? Seems different synths either play just their sound, or both - been wondering how to know why this is the case. Thanks for the feedback, I'm excited now to see if I can get this!

  • @Ocsprey said:

    @AndyPlankton said:

    @Ocsprey said:

    @AndyPlankton said:
    Play with it on it's own first, so you can see what it is capable of ....
    then

    Connect the outputs to you audio in for your iOS device, load up AUM and load the hardware in onto a channel, then any other apps you want to use alongside circuit.

    If you've got Launchpad then sync it to Circuit using the MIDI Clock output from Launchpad (IAP), or use MIDI LInk Sync to use the Circuit midi clock to sync it with Launchpad via Link or to blocs wave or both....

    MIDI Sync it to Gadget or ModStep or both, use the Circuit sequencer to sequence gadget/modstep instruments, or use ModStep to sequence the Circuit synths....or just run the two/three together.

    Find the chord mode and use it to play chords into gadget or ModStep, or any other synth/DAW with MIDI in.

    So many uses, so many combinations. You will still be finding new things to do in 6 months time :)

    Andy - I'd like to try this, do I just plug in to headphone jack then? Do I still need CCK in this scenario? Is there a way to do this w/ Link from Modstep? And lastly, could you tell me the AUM set up - for some reason I am absolutely baffled by AUM!

    You need 2 connections from the circuit to the iPad, a USB connection for the midi, and an audio connection for the sound, so you will need a CCK and a USB hub. I use a powered hub, but in this scenario a non powered one would probably work as the circuit is powered either from its batteries or power supply. You will need to use an audio interface to be able to get sound into and also sound out of the iPad to headphones/speakers.
    I am using a behringer uca202 for this, plugged into a powered hub, along with the circuit.

    An alternative would be to just use the internal speaker on the circuit, and let the iPad play through it's speakers, if you do this you do not need the audio connections, but you still need a CCK to connect the USB MIDI part of circuit to the iPad.
    You could also use an external hardware mixer and plug the iPad audio out, and Circuit audio out into that.
    If you do either of these, you do not need to use AUM.

    Use AUM for audio mixing only, do not worry about midi routing, do the midi routing inside ModStep.
    In AUM just add a channel, then select the hardware input as the input for that channel. This will be your Circuit channel,
    Add another channel and then select whichever app you want to use (modStep) for the input into that second channel this is your ModStep channel.
    Now add a third channel and set it's input to be Bus A. Set the output of your other two channels to also be Bus A. This last channel is now your master volume for both Circuit and ModStep.

    For sync you could use an app called MIDI LINK SYNC to sync to ModStep via link, but this is unnecessary because you can sync Circuit and ModStep using MIDI Clock and it works perfectly.
    You can then use Link from within ModStep to sync to other LInk enabled apps. If you want to use other apps, just add another channel in AUM for each app you want to use and route the output top Bus A.

    This seems complicated with all the instructions and all, but it really isn't.

    Thanks - makes absolute sense. I'll use the CCK w/ AudioHub 2x4 in my case. It's the Bus I've been doing wrong - probably in every scenario. And I assumed I'd need to set the midi route in both Modstep & Aum.

    Is there a way to set up the Bus - so I can filter out either Circuit or Modstep (for one to play another w/out sound from one)? Seems different synths either play just their sound, or both - been wondering how to know why this is the case. Thanks for the feedback, I'm excited now to see if I can get this!

    You only need to use a bus to get a single master volume, individual synths audio is controlled by their own fader/mute/solo on their channel.
    If you do not do any midi routing in AUM, and set the MIDI outputs and channels correctly in ModStep you shouldn't have any problems.
    Also don't forget that if you ar eusing Circuit, you have the onboard mixer, so you can just mute the sounds using that also.

  • I'm still trying to sort out a nice portable solution for recording Circuit with Auria. I'd love to use the Circuit in the woods somewhere and still be able to capture good quality audio of a set I performed there.

    Can't find any audio interfaces with stereo inputs that are powered by the iPad though, so at the moment the two live in seperate worlds for me :)

  • kobamoto will trade you a launchpad pro for your brand new circuit

  • What about roland duo capture ex ? Or those new zooms?

  • @Tarekith said:
    I'm still trying to sort out a nice portable solution for recording Circuit with Auria. I'd love to use the Circuit in the woods somewhere and still be able to capture good quality audio of a set I performed there.

    Can't find any audio interfaces with stereo inputs that are powered by the iPad though, so at the moment the two live in seperate worlds for me :)

    Behringer UCA 202 , with a couple of phono to jack plugs.

  • @rhcball said:
    kobamoto will trade you a launchpad pro for your brand new circuit

    Not any longer, got my circuit sorted :), but now I'm selling my Launchpad pro for $225 I gotta update the marketplace thread but thanks and please continue to get the word out

  • @Goozoon said:
    What about roland duo capture ex ? Or those new zooms?

    Duo capture takes 3 aa batteries, works great, midi and audio.

  • @kobamoto said:

    @rhcball said:
    kobamoto will trade you a launchpad pro for your brand new circuit

    Not any longer, got my circuit sorted :), but now I'm selling my Launchpad pro for $225 I gotta update the marketplace thread but thanks and please continue to get the word out

    Whoot! :)

  • @Wally said:

    @Tarekith said:
    I'm still trying to sort out a nice portable solution for recording Circuit with Auria. I'd love to use the Circuit in the woods somewhere and still be able to capture good quality audio of a set I performed there.

    Can't find any audio interfaces with stereo inputs that are powered by the iPad though, so at the moment the two live in seperate worlds for me :)

    Behringer UCA 202 , with a couple of phono to jack plugs.

    Tis a good one but no midi for circuit syncing. I have done it though.

  • @kobamoto said:

    @rhcball said:
    kobamoto will trade you a launchpad pro for your brand new circuit

    Not any longer, got my circuit sorted :), but now I'm selling my Launchpad pro for $225 I gotta update the marketplace thread but thanks and please continue to get the word out

    thats funny cuz they just announced Circuit PRO is coming to market which will have independent panning for all samples and synths.

  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0

    wow you don't say?.... chuckles

  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0

    who announced it?

  • speaking of Launchpads and circuits, is anybody here using a circuit along with a launchpad pro?

  • @kobamoto said:
    speaking of Launchpads and circuits, is anybody here using a circuit along with a launchpad pro?

    me me me

  • edited October 2016 Vote Up0

    well spill the beans lad how do you like it, which one has more scales circuit or launchpad pro? etc...
    how much overlap on the scales?

  • Well - let's see. I mostly use the Launchpad as an instrument, playing soft synths or whatever is loaded up in Ableton. I haven't been impressed with any of the 3rd party sequencers for the LP Pro though - if a good one came out, I'd be excited. iOS wise, of course use it with the App - my favorite sauce being the LaunchKey app - which syncs automatically with the LaunchPad app. Launchkey is the app I wish were still being developed. Meanwhile, over on FB - LP app and Blocs have merged to a single FB page... which is compelling. I don't use LP Pro at all as a clip launcher etc, nor make light shows and all that. Circuit I use a bunch - as a sketch pad. I only turned on the Save feature yesterday, same goes for samples, just uploaded a set for the first time yesterday. I like playing it into my soft synths (especially the Synthmaster arpeggiator on the desktop). iOS wise - the Modstep templates are great, and both drive each other well. I've had both for about a year now - no hardware issues. TouchOSC templates are great - especially now that TouchOSC works via USB - if Circuit and iPad can see each other - the OSC Template works - and since it's USB, more stable... and easy to put together really quick mappings and push them out. There's a much deeper OSC template you can get at the M4L site too - with the mod matrix laid out. Good luck!

  • what about just connecting the two via midi and using them that way?

  • @kobamoto said:
    what about just connecting the two via midi and using them that way?

    Sorta always, but through my hub, actually never straight connected them.

  • thanks for sharing Ocsprey

  • @kobamoto said:
    thanks for sharing Ocsprey

    Sure - sorry for disjointed response, I probably should have slept before typing that one :)

  • @Tarekith said:
    Can't find any audio interfaces with stereo inputs that are powered by the iPad though, so at the moment the two live in seperate worlds for me :)

    For a similar purpose I use the Griffin iMic, a cheap and tiny stereo audio interface. It's not really high end but the best audio interface is the one you carry with you o:)

Sign In or Register to comment.