Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: I made my own synthesizer!

Super excited about this and wanted to share my latest project. A homemade polysynth!

Comments

• Nice work!
    Also, thanks for sharing the Teensy info.

• Cool. Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this? Also, how much did it cost?

• How long did it take to build?

How much did it cost you in supplies and materials?

• edited October 2016

That is so awesome. You are the man. Only thing I'm not fond of is the sound of a dog barking when you turn up the noise level at 4.18. I'd get limited use out of that!
    But love what you're doing.

• Wow! This is fantastic dude. Well done. I don't think I have the mind for this kind of stuff but I respect anyone who does.

• Love that bell sound.. Great work

• Congrats. It sounds great

• Thanks! This was a really fun project. I've made tons of MIDI controllers using teensy boards but actually making a synth was a huge level up for me. It took me a couple weeks to build, but that includes a lot of experimenting and learning the audio library. I even made a full prototype version. Once I knew what I was doing, the final took me about two days.

Here is a wish list I made of all the parts used:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/wish_lists/131605

Looks like it was $112 total for parts, although I already had nearly everything I needed when I started.

If anyone is interested in learning about this stuff, this is a great place to start (I had no knowledge of the audio library before I started this project):
    http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Audio.html

• You're on a roll man! Sounds great. When do we see the synth and sequencer together?

• @otem_rellik said:
    If anyone is interested in learning about this stuff...

Oog no understand.

• Well done! Looks and sounds great, any chance of a look inside?

• Great sound, great looks, when does the mass production start? Well done.

• Well done, looks and sounds great :)

• Cool project and some of the sounds are not half bad!

• Thanks guys! I actually just figured out how to send audio over the usb. Now I can powered it from an iPad/iPhone and record the audio straight in over usb.

• This is super!

• Very impressive and excellently produced video, loved the cat cameo too.

• @otem_rellik So you're using the teensy for handling the user interface and for synthesis? What are your thoughts about the performance of the Teensy (that's a Cortex M4, right?)

• @brambos Yep, Teensy 3.2 is the brains of the whole operation. I've been using teensy exclusively since I started building MIDI controllers a couple of years ago so I don't really have experience with anything else for comparison. This is also my first project actually doing audio. I had to look it up, but yes, looks like it is Cortex M4. There is a total of 16 oscillators and eight filters going on with this thing (plus noise and delay and whatnot) and I haven't experienced any issues in performance so it seems pretty beefy. I still consider myself a complete amateur with this stuff and am just doing it for my own enjoyment.

• Can you tell us more about the home made midi controllers? Im very interested building one myself. Any advice, websites to start with, are very welcome.

• @Egz

This was the very first tutorial I followed when I created my first controller:
    http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-very-simple-diy-usb-midi-controller.html

When I needed more knobs I used this (this is the same code I use to do multiple knobs/analog inputs):
    https://github.com/filib/teensy-midi/blob/master/teensy_midi.pde

Also, this dude Kyle made a video using some code I gave him a while back. Not sure how great the code was as it was when I was first starting, but he has a write-up here:
    http://djtechtools.com/2015/08/25/how-to-make-your-own-diy-midi-controller/

I try to help folks out whenever I get questions as well, my email is otemrellik at otemrellik.com

• Thanks I'll look into it. I have an arduino uno but what I understand now is that a teensy is easier to use as a midi controller.

• My very first controller was on an arduino. I remember I had to flash the firmware every time I wanted to update it in order for it to be a usbmidi device. That is the reason I switched to using Teensy originally. I'm not sure if that is still the case with all the newer arduino boards, but Teensy just seemed was less complicated to me so I stuck with it.

• Sven Braun is using Teensy to run some of his Zmors Modular code. The UI looks really nice
    https://github.com/noscene/zMorsOnTeensy

• edited March 2017

BTW very cool synth, @otem_rellik How long do the batteries last?

• @syrupcore said:
    You're on a roll man! Sounds great. When do we see the synth and sequencer together?

^

• Wow that's cool , I even like the purple knobs :)

• @yug said:
    BTW very cool synth, @otem_rellik How long do the batteries last?

I actually still have the same batteries in the synth from when I built it. I don't use it that often though since I made this guy:

Very much prefer this new one and have been using it in my live sets lately.

That zmors synth is really cool. I've recently been working on a project using a raspberry pi with pure data and a teensy to control everything with a gui over serial. Been at it for a couple months but it's almost finished! Its a ported version of a mobmuplat patch I've been working on for the last couple years.

• edited March 2017

@otem_rellik Dude. That is amazing work! Sounds great. Brilliant controls.

@brambos psst. ^