Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DM1 used to sync to stuff, er... right?

edited July 2013 in General App Discussion

I can't get it to sync in either direction to Funkbox, Loopy or Auria. Is there "this one simple trick" I need to make the magic come back or is this a known issue? I used to sync it to Loopy without a hitch.

Comments

• The only app I've personally managed to sync it to is Genome. The rumours are that the MIDI implementation for the DM1 is broken, but I have no idea if this is true or not.

• edited July 2013

I don't have genome so i wasn't able to sync it to anything i like to use (Auria,Cubasis,Beatmaker etc.).Such a shame,i really would like to use it.

@Paul:i'm pretty sure there was an update after this that promised full Midi sync...and it doesn't respond to Midi start/stop either or i'm to dumb for this.dM 1 reacts to Start/Stop from a computer but not from other apps.

• Has Fingerlab had any response to this problem? How responsive are they to issues?

• Thanks all. I'll email Fingerlab.

• Please let us know the response! If their responses on their facebook page are any indication of what you'll get, it won't be very useful or promising...

• I emailed Fingerlab about this weeks ago. Never got a reply. :/
    Definitely a serious flaw in an otherwise outstanding app.

• edited July 2013

I don't know what you guys a talking about... But sorry to hear you're having trouble.

I just tested this to verify and DM1 syncs right up to Loopy for me. The "one simple trick" is that DM1 only syncs when it receives a start clock message from Loopy. So a quick pause and restart on Loopy brings dm1 right in sync.
    Loopy is always master clock in my setup, so I don't have any answers for other apps.

For note trigger, DM1 drum pads receive notes from MIDIDesigner Pro just fine via virtual MIDI.

• Unfortunately, Loopy is useless for the basic sync and start functions I require. And it seems to be the exception.

• Glad to hear that @htmx but that's not working for me. Loopy is usually my clock master as well. You've given me hope anyway.

I hit up fingerlabs via twitter. We shall see.

• It is generally acknowledged (with a few exceptions) that the Midi sync/transport functionality doesn't work well (if at all) for most apps trying to sync with DM1. I don't use loopy (although I have it), but I would LOVE for it to sync properly with Cubasis and Auria. Is there ANYONE who has had ANY kind of luck with these two most important DAWs?

• I have a feeling we may be waiting for an OS update before this is addressed. :/

• @eyeballjackson That's been my fear as well.....

• edited July 2013

Using Loopy as a master clock might work for me for some things, but it's an awkward, compromising fix at best - and I'm reading online reports that it doesn't even sync well...

• @Audiojunkie:

I don't fear it.I see light now cause the next OS is just 2 months away ;) And i read somewhere that it could improve the way of syncing apps dramatically.

• @Crabman I would rather hope things are resolved sooner than later, but 2 months is not too long to wait (it will likely be later than that though). I really do hope app syncing is dramatically improved!

• Loopy will start and stop DM1 without a hitch and locks tempo using MIDI clock.
    That means DM1 is receiving and reacting correctly.
    Has anyone managed to get Cubasis to start and stop a different app in the same manner? At this point I'm more inclined to believe that Cubasis is not sending the start/stop messages.

• Besides better/broader MIDI sync, what features are missing from DM1 that make it fall short of " killer drum app" status. I'd like some kind of built-in swing/groove capability.

• Hmm, that's two people now... that indeed gives me more hope @paulB. I'll try an iPad restart and see if I can get DM1 to play nice with Loopy again.

• edited July 2013

Molten behaves exactly the same as DM1. Works with Loopy, not with Cubasis.

@eyeballjackson I wouldn't call DM1 a killer drum app, but swing?

http://s22.postimg.org/u5h6engnl/image.jpg

• @PaulB I haven't been able to get DM1 to sync with Auria, Cubasis, Meteor, or Beatmaker2. Surely not all of these top-end DAWs are broken.... Which app are you treating as the master? I've been trying to have the DAW be the master in everything, and DM1 as the slave.

@eyeballjackson I don't know about "Killer" status, but if the sync worked, it is close enough for what I want to do that I would probably use it as my main drum tool--possibly my only tool. :-)

• edited July 2013

As an added thought....Molten and Funkbox work with most everything without problems on these DAWs...so does that mean that the DAWs aren't broken?

• I had DM1 and Molten responding to Loopy. I couldn't get anything to respond to Cubasis. I had Molten responding to Meteor, but DM1 didn't, possibly because Meteor was not in DM1's list of MIDI sources.

• @PaulB:it's funny to see it quite often.Things that worked for some people doesn't mean it's working for other people.Example:Molten works nearly perfect with cubasis for me.Unfortunately i don't like the audio engine.

i tested some apps together with cubasis,you can see the results here:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=44022

Would be nice if people would post their own experiences in this thread.

iOS midi (sync)is such a mess,that's unbelievable...

• edited July 2013

@crabman You're right, I've just had Molten working with Cubasis. I'd love to capture the MIDI output from these apps to find out what the differences are. Unfortunately, MIDI Wrench only captures if it's in the foreground... :P

• @PaulB durrrr....you humble me. ;) ...But DM1 WOULD be my top iOS drum app if the sync worked propah.

• Take a look at MidiVision...same dev as MidiBridge. It works in the background.

• edited July 2013

@Crabman I'm really shocked that more people aren't complaining about this! I noticed that no one even commented on your thread! I am getting pretty much the same results as you. Of all of the apps, I think Molten and Funkbox sync the best, but even they are often off and don't work properly. I don't know what iOS 7 and Audiobus will do to help the situation, but come release time, if this issue doesn't look like it will resolve itself with those technologies, I'm going to start pushing for Midibus ( http://audeonic.com/midibus.shtml ) implementation for every one of these apps, including cubase!

• Yep, midivision is the business.

• @Audiojunkie:

"I'm really shocked that more people aren't complaining about this"

yep,me either.If nobody is complaining...why should developer try to work on improvements?