Looking for a clip launcher with midi implementation

edited October 2016 in General App Discussion

Hi All,

I typically play the keyboards but I also enjoy launching clips in the ipad while playing ( i use for now launchpad). I would like to control the launch of the clips with midi ( the pads of my keyboard midi controller) but launchpad does not support generic midi implementation. Any one you might think it could work ?
I would also like to have effect ( filters , stutter,delay etc). I already have tried loopy, hook, launchpad and remix live but for different reasons they dont match my needs.

«1

Comments

  • modstep?

    @AlexB said: I already have tried loopy, hook, launchpad and remix live but for different reasons they dont match my needs.

    How so?

  • Take a look at LooptunesHD. It will depend on whether you can assign specific MIDI CC's to your pads and whether you are OK with looking up the corresponding CCs in a text file--at least until @sonicreef implements midi learn. But it sounds like the app features fit your needs--and the UX is the best in class, IMHO.

  • edited October 2016

    Ok: here the re> @telecharge said:

    modstep?

    Modstep can be midi learnt? Can you include audio and midi clips? Effects?

    @AlexB said: I already have tried loopy, hook, launchpad and remix live but for different reasons they dont match my needs.

    How so?

    Loopy: even it has a good midi implementation has no effects , no way to stop the previous clip when you start a new one ( like eg does per column). Only 12 loops.
    Hook: quite good on midi implementation ( faders per track that can be midi learnt) but no midi learnkng on the clip launching. Also no Audiobus,IAA.
    Remix: simply no midi implementation.
    Launchpad: no midi learning.only works with Launchpad hardware.

  • Modstep doesn't do audio looping. It has effects but not what you are looking for in terms of UX.

  • edited October 2016

    Modstep does have midi learn, maybe you could load that new quantiloop in the modstep track? Which would then give you a couple audio loops to play with. Can you load Loopy As an IAA in modstep?

  • You can use audio in Modstep with it's built in sampler.

  • @OscarSouth said:
    You can use audio in Modstep with it's built in sampler.

    But it's convoluted compared to most audio clip launching apps. And no time stretching, so out of luck if the tempo changes.

  • Maybe LP-5 - Loop-based Music Sequencer would work for you?

  • edited October 2016

    @lukesleepwalker said:

    @OscarSouth said:
    You can use audio in Modstep with it's built in sampler.

    But it's convoluted compared to most audio clip launching apps. And no time stretching, so out of luck if the tempo changes.

    Ah yeah, I use it for triggering melodic stuff or voices/one shot samples mainly. You can hear an example of something I was messing about with to on the go to play with the new update for what I mean:
    https://db.tt/cII4YO4B

    The sampler is great for this kind of stuff, but less suited for rhythmic clips.

    Modstep is at the point stability wise now that I'd consider using it as a stand alone app. Very impressed with this update.

  • You could try Takete as well.

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    You could try Takete as well.

    Just checked Takete ... 55€???????

  • You can trigger audio loops in aum using midi also.

  • @AndyPlankton said:
    You can trigger audio loops in aum using midi also.

    Right. And you can load each Loopy track into Aum for effects too.

  • Basically I need launchpad with midi implementation. That would make me happy. Modstep would not work as this is just a midisequencer. Takete has poor midi learning ( just a little).looptuns seems like a candidate but the overall UI is more thought to work full hands on it ( XY pads and so on) and I want to limit as much as possible to touch the screen but to manage everything from my keyboard. I was even think to buy a launchpad mini hardware but with my setup it wouldn't t work ( I have my Ipad connected to Alesis IO dock so I cannot plug anythis to my Ipad through the lightning cable).

  • edited October 2016

    Have you looked at the MPC style apps like the iMPCs or BeatHawk?

    Here's another dark horse -- Cakewalk's ScratchPad. It hasn't been updated since 2014 and likely won't be, but it might meet your needs. I don't know about its MIDI implementation.

    http://audiob.us/get/475/ScratchPad

    EDIT: No MIDI. http://scratchpad.cakewalk.com/Question/232/Can-I-use-MIDI-with-ScratchPad

  • I have Impc pro but it's not actually a looper itself, few effects to be controlled with abutton like launchpad...

  • edited October 2016

    @AlexB said:

    @BiancaNeve said:
    You could try Takete as well.

    Just checked Takete ... 55€???????

    Yup but it does go on sale sometimes

    But there's a free version to try.

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    But there's a free version to try.

    Takete Lite. Less filling, tastes magnífico

  • I did it. Seems a little confusing and with poor midi implementation, so a no go... Btw didn't say it before but big thank you to all of you trying to help!!

  • @AlexB said:
    I did it. Seems a little confusing and with poor midi implementation, so a no go... Btw didn't say it before but big thank you to all of you trying to help!!

    It has midi learn. (Well the full version does can't remember about the lite one)

  • Man, GarageBand would be awesome for this if you could assign MIDI triggers to the clips.

  • @SecretBaseDesign Infinite Looper has midi learn in the works, I believe, and it would be a missed opportunity were it to not include clip launching in that update.

  • @aaronpc said:
    @SecretBaseDesign Infinite Looper has midi learn in the works, I believe, and it would be a missed opportunity were it to not include clip launching in that update.

    The current version has MIDI learn -- and you can shift from section to section (which might get the desired clip launching behavior). Set up different sections with different sets of loops, and then toggle forward/back as needed... It might (or might not) do what's needed.

  • yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

  • @sonicreef said:
    yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

    While you are at it, any chance you could make the effects (X/Y pads) and the cross fader MIDI-controllable?

  • Takete is worth it... video fx is awesome too

  • edited October 2016

    @sonicreef said:
    yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

    What kind of controllers can you control by Midi in Looptunes HD? Can the clips be launched by Midi?

  • @lukesleepwalker said:

    @sonicreef said:
    yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

    While you are at it, any chance you could make the effects (X/Y pads) and the cross fader MIDI-controllable?

    it's coming :smiley:

  • @AlexB said:

    @sonicreef said:
    yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

    What kind of controllers can you control by Midi in Looptunes HD? Can the clips be launched by Midi?

    currently, the only "shipped" controller support is the Midifighter Twister. You can add your own controller files though (with a little xml skill). I'm planning to add more controllers, time permitting.
    Yes, you can launch clips via Midi.

  • @sonicreef said:

    @AlexB said:

    @sonicreef said:
    yea, it seems that LooptunesHD would do exactly what you want.
    I'm reading that midi learn seems to be a highly desirable feature. I'll look into adding that in the next version.

    What kind of controllers can you control by Midi in Looptunes HD? Can the clips be launched by Midi?

    currently, the only "shipped" controller support is the Midifighter Twister. You can add your own controller files though (with a little xml skill). I'm planning to add more controllers, time permitting.
    Yes, you can launch clips via Midi.

    Would you send me the manual so I can have a final look?

    Thanks

Sign In or Register to comment.