Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iSymphonic gets AUv3 support

very nice to see, but it is nit for the faint hearted, an iPad Air is already to weak to play a single instance of it.
I wonder how it is performing on an Air 2 and on the Pro iPads.

Comments

• edited October 2016

Various bits and bobs. .they describe the AU support as 'initial' whatever that means....

• Fantastic thanks for posting...I'll shall give it a whirl

• Well... isn't supposed to be impossible for apps like this to become AU?.

• Good news. I hope other Devs will follow the same root? :)

• edited October 2016

The new sound set 'Keys' contains 23 additional sounds including 'two Grand Pianos of high quality, two Celtic Harps, Marimba, Celesta, Bells, Glockenspiel, Analogue Pad' (and combinations of the sounds therein) is $24.99, which is about double their usual sound pack price and also stacks up at nearly 2 gigs....gives pause for thought, BUT if someone (anyone) told me they're delicious AND the AU is working in a manner that doesn't choke the CPU, I'd certainly be very tempted.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The new sound set 'Keys' contains 23 .....

>

Err, do we need to buy this in order to use iSymphonic as an AU?

• I wonder if they're the same pianos as in their cmp app.

• @Nkersov said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The new sound set 'Keys' contains 23 .....

>

Err, do we need to buy this in order to use iSymphonic as an AU?

No

• relative to performance ... it seems the sounds don't use the disk streaming technology when used as AU but are loaded into memory. apparently the one GB of the Air 1 can't handle that for most patches. solo instruments seem to do better that orchestral sounds.

• I was thrilled to see this, have been waiting for it... but it doesn't work for me right now even on my iPad Pro 12.9" 128Gb. I tried in AUM and Cubasis, just a single AU instance, and playing from the keyboards of those apps, most key presses produce no sound. The rest do. I'm still on iOS 9.3.5. Could that be the problem? Can anyone else confirm this problem?

• @nick said:
    No

>

Ah, then they can keep the double normal price IAP. Seems to be working-ish, under AUM on iPad Air 2. Fallen over a couple of times, but not at all bad. I suspect that what we get out of this very much depends on what we use to put in.

• @Lacm1993 said:
    Well... isn't supposed to be impossible for apps like this to become AU?.

Why would it be impossible? It's just a lot of work.

• for now, it seems much easier and more reliable to use it via IAA

BUT it would be awesome if they come up with a way to make it workable as AU.

• Rather than start a new thread for such a (probably easy) question. Thought I'd ask here..

I love isymphonic but of all the samples I've tried, I can't try to find one with enough 'attack'. The notes tend to creep in easy as you'd expect.
    Is there any way to add a effect (previous to the sample) to increase the attack.

---I'm using keyboard to play, and I've played with the hardware volume slider to approximate the effect but when I come to record.. Well I guess I'm not well-prscticed enough, and the results are all over the place volume-wise.

• edited October 2016

Haven't really tried the AU yet, did see the same 'only works on some notes' issue, but changed the routing and it seemed to make a difference. No real initial spiking on the CPU (big Boy 9.33). BUT, and for those wondering about making money from developing AU, I can say that because I'm tired and in the middle of moving madness and surely deserving of some reward I DID buy myself the 24.99 Keys update (which I may not have done if the AU release hadn't just come out; convoluted but true) and I can confirm that a ) its not the CMP thingies and b ) the first Grand Piano, which is all I've tried at this point, is soft and utterly lovely. I know, subjective, but still. The idea of playing with it more later will hopefully sustain me through the rest of the day chopping down these ridiculous domestic trees....

• Doesnˋt work as AU at all.Tried with Cubasis and AUM-no luck.Every once in a while one note out of ten produces
    a sound.I´ve sent them an email reporting these issues.This is on iPadPro iOS9.3.5.I have all the expansions and
    all are superb but now Iˋm holding off with the new one and wait what happens with AU implementation.

• Same here. Air2 iOS 10.0.2 rarely makes a sound as above.

• @Schimanski said:
    Doesnˋt work as AU at all.Tried with Cubasis and AUM-no luck.Every once in a while one note out of ten produces
    a sound.I´ve sent them an email reporting these issues.This is on iPadPro iOS9.3.5.I have all the expansions and
    all are superb but now Iˋm holding off with the new one and wait what happens with AU implementation.

Hmmm. Must be buggy (of course). Have it working no problem at all in AUM.

• edited October 2016

Yep , barely working here in cubasis iPad Pro 12.9 and ios9 too. It's cool to know they are making a start on doing this though, but perhaps a slightly premature release.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Same here. Air2 iOS 10.0.2 rarely makes a sound as above.

>

Tried this again, and working reasonably well on my Air2 iOS 10.0.2 using Fugue Machine under AUM. But, the on-screen keyboard works for maybe five notes! Much work still to be done on this app. :'(

• For me, only one preset works well ("cello and woodwinds"). I am able to run several instances (3) of it and faced no crash...and I have an ipad4. However, the other presets are all broken at the moment but I'm confident that it will be solved

• Guess this is a very public beta.Then again they do only describe it as initial support......

• @brambos said:

@Lacm1993 said:

Why would it be impossible? It's just a lot of work

So, every music app can potentially be an AU?.
    what, in technical terms, could make impossible for an app to become an AU?, I know it's hard work and also know that it doesn't make financial sense for some developers to do it but I'm asking about the technical limits for AU.

• Some sounds seem to work (ish), so there's hope for the future :)

• @Lacm1993 said:

@brambos said:

@Lacm1993 said:

Why would it be impossible? It's just a lot of work

So, every music app can potentially be an AU?.
    what, in technical terms, could make impossible for an app to become an AU?, I know it's hard work and also know that it doesn't make financial sense for some developers to do it but I'm asking about the technical limits for AU.

There are limitations, but most of them are academic. The biggest ones are that you your UI is constrained to a letterbox format and some filesystem invonveniences (like not having direct access to the container app's documents folder, etc).

There are memory limits, but nothing that a creative programmer can't work around. But it can be a hassle to retrofit the AU format onto an existing app to the point that you may have to start building almost from scratch if you're unlucky.

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    Rather than start a new thread for such a (probably easy) question. Thought I'd ask here..

I love isymphonic but of all the samples I've tried, I can't try to find one with enough 'attack'. The notes tend to creep in easy as you'd expect.
    Is there any way to add a effect (previous to the sample) to increase the attack.

---I'm using keyboard to play, and I've played with the hardware volume slider to approximate the effect but when I come to record.. Well I guess I'm not well-prscticed enough, and the results are all over the place volume-wise.

Can anyone tell me if what i'm asking is possible?

• @SkillipEvolver said:

@SkillipEvolver said:
    Rather than start a new thread for such a (probably easy) question. Thought I'd ask here..

Can anyone tell me if what i'm asking is possible?

I don't know of any way to add an effect previous to the samples. You could resample the instrument you need and make a quicker attack. This may lose some nuences of the sound and would be time consuming trying to do it and map all the new sample for each key and velocity again. Especially tough on sound with lots of different instruments mapped up the key range.

Personally I think you will drive yourself nuts trying to achieve this, unless someone else can think of a faster approach. Even if an app prior to the sound could achieve such a result, the settings would need to know the actual attack of all the differing instruments mapped and be able to respond to them, or would just sound wrong.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Various bits and bobs. .they describe the AU support as 'initial' whatever that means....

I think it means that it works, but in limited way for now. For example there is no volume or reverb control.

• Anyone used the new keys pack yet? £19 makes me sweat for 25 sounds, but if they are crackingly good ;)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Haven't really tried the AU yet, did see the same 'only works on some notes' issue, but changed the routing and it seemed to make a difference. No real initial spiking on the CPU (big Boy 9.33). BUT, and for those wondering about making money from developing AU, I can say that because I'm tired and in the middle of moving madness and surely deserving of some reward I DID buy myself the 24.99 Keys update (which I may not have done if the AU release hadn't just come out; convoluted but true) and I can confirm that a ) its not the CMP thingies and b ) the first Grand Piano, which is all I've tried at this point, is soft and utterly lovely. I know, subjective, but still. The idea of playing with it more later will hopefully sustain me through the rest of the day chopping down these ridiculous domestic trees....

Have you tried the other sounds yet? What's your verdict?