Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Addictive Pro Accent tabs?

Hey, this is driving me nuts. I've asked what the arp accent tabs are supposed to do in a couple threads and got no answer. Is this such common knowledge?

I checked out the manual for the original Addictive synth, and it only mentions the tabs but it assumes the user just inherently knows what it does.

I've looked for definitions of what an accent in an arpeggio is, and can't find anything.

I've set up an arp sequence with a basic sound and all notes set the same, with just the accent tabs selected, but I can't tell any difference from them being activated or not.

Sorry if this is arp 101, but I honestly can't tell that the accent tabs do anything at all in this app. Is it just for certain kinds of sounds that it effects? I've tried speeding and slowing the sequence to see if I can pick up on any effect from the accent tabs, but hear nothing. Beginning to wonder if they simply don't work?

Comments

• It's really simple.
    You have the two circles that say 'Velo Normal' and 'Velo Accent' so in practice the accent tab just selects which velocity to use.

• @Samu said:
    It's really simple.
    You have the two circles that say 'Velo Normal' and 'Velo Accent' so in practice the accent tab just selects which velocity to use.

This. i thought it was pretty self explantory. just make sure whatever patch you've loaded actually takes velocity into account to make sounds different.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@Samu said:
    It's really simple.

This. i thought it was pretty self explantory. just make sure whatever patch you've loaded actually takes velocity into account to make sounds different.

I've tried several different patches. I've tried plain/simple patches. I've varied both the velo settings, etc.

When the lavender accent tabs at the top are selected anywhere in the sequence, I don't hear any difference at all whether they're on or off.

It may be "self explanatory" to you, but the effect I'm hearing is no effect at all, as if it's not working.

• edited September 2016

How about this, could one of you please tell me exactly some settings that I would definitely hear what the "accent" lavender tabs at the top are supposed to be doing? I hear what "tie" is doing... That IS "self explanatory as you say. But "accent" doesn't ever sound like it's having any effect at all regardless of which patch or velo settings I've got set in the common area of the arp.

• On second thought, don't worry about it. I'll ask one of the other forum members who've been kind enough to explain details I don't understand in the past.

So, carry on... No worries. Thx anyway.

• Hey, a simple thing you can do to definitely hear the accent is to take any patch and in the mod page, first tab, set pitch control to velocity and give it a high value. Now your accents will play at a higher pitch.
    The reason you are not hearing differences is simply that most of the patches don't seem to be different at different velocity values.

• Just looked myself and there is really not that much patches with velocity control, sorry.

Here an example where i can explain a bit more:

• Select the preset "Arp: 03 Analog Filter"

• To make it easier to hear it just remove the "tie" marks from the sequence because they glue notes together
      and velocity is only take on the beginning of a note.

• put an accent on one of the steps

• Now run the arp

• If you now play with the "Velo accent" you will notice the effect on the accented note.

• If you play with the on screen keyboard you will note that turning "Velo normal" has no effect:
      The velocity for the non accented notes is taken from the "real" velocity of the notes played and
      only a MIDI keyboard can send velocity information.

• Set "Key velocity" to off: Now the velocity for non accented notes is taken from the setting of the knob "Velo normal"

BTW: In this patch the velocity modulates the analog filter envelope depth:
    Tap on the mod page and there "Analog Filter" and you'll see "env*velo" as modulation source
    for the cutoff frequency of the filter.

Hope i wasn't too confusing, it's a difficult thing i know...

Harry

• @skiphunt
    as @Virsyn mentioned it seems like almost none of the factory patches use velocity at all.
    i wasn't trying to be dismissive to you. I usually make my own patches whenever i start a track
    so i hadn't noticed the lack of factory presets that used velocity.

Just do whats been stated above and you should be able to see the results yourself :)

• @VirSyn
    Harry, since you're here, can I ask a quick question? I noticed an unexpected behaviour in the arp --
    you can obviously set regions for all four parts in their individual tabs. And then there is the common tab with settings that effect all four parts of the arp that also allows setting a range. But when a region is set for the whole arp I would expect all four part to observe the range. Instead, only the first part is affected. Is this a bug or intended behaviour?

• @nick this is intended behavior to have different loop lengths, start and end steps for each part. This is where the polyrhythm fun really starts...

• @VirSyn said:
    this is intended behavior to have different loop lengths, start and end steps for each part. This is where the polyrhythm fun really starts...

Do you have any plans to add the arp-improvments from Addictive Pro to your other apps as well?
    (Arpeggist would be neat with these features driving four different synths at once as an example).

Are there any plans to add 'playback' direction for each of the arp-playheads(forward, backward and 'ping-pong'?).

If or when you go AUv3 consider adding a FX-AUv3 app to the portfolio where the order of effects can be changed together with modulation options for the effect parameters :)

• @Samu said:

@VirSyn said:
    this is intended behavior to have different loop lengths, start and end steps for each part. This is where the polyrhythm fun really starts...

Do you have any plans to add the arp-improvments from Addictive Pro to your other apps as well?
    (Arpeggist would be neat with these features driving four different synths at once as an example).

Are there any plans to add 'playback' direction for each of the arp-playheads(forward, backward and 'ping-pong'?).

If or when you go AUv3 consider adding a FX-AUv3 app to the portfolio where the order of effects can be changed together with modulation options for the effect parameters :)

I fully approve of these requests. Speaking of which. You sure are a feature request machine aren't you ? :p

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    You sure are a feature request machine aren't you ? :p

Hehe, well, I just put the ideas that pop up when I mess around with the apps into words.
    See it as 'Free Customer Based R&D' for those developers who embrace them as constructive ideas :D

• @VirSyn said:
    @nick this is intended behavior to have different loop lengths, start and end steps for each part. This is where the polyrhythm fun really starts...

yeah, I know. I would just find it more logical that if you don't set a range in the common tab, you'll have whatever ranges you set in the individual tabs. And that the range in the common tab would add a limit to those others.
    but never mind, it might be more logical (and I would like the functionality) but it may be less intuitive ...

• Is this a better arpeggiator than Arpeggist?

• edited September 2016

@u0421793 said:
    Is this a better arpeggiator than Arpeggist?

yes. its basically Apreggist+Fugue machine.

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@u0421793 said:

I wonder where that leaves arpeggist as a product, then.

• @u0421793 said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@u0421793 said:

I wonder where that leaves arpeggist as a product, then.

I don't think you can drive other synths with addictive pros appregiator. not yet atleast.

• @Samu impressive list indeed...
    I'm careful with promising if and when future things will arrive. Therefore i would like to let you know that i'm always listening to the ideas here and if there is a technical and economical way to do it then it will come.
    But i hope you have fun in the meantime with that what's there :-)

• @gonekrazy3000 you're right - the arp is only working with the built in engine.

• @VirSyn said:

>

But i hope you have fun in the meantime with that what's there :-)

Absolutely!

I find Addictive Pro to be a lot easier to use than it's predecessor Addictive Synth even though they are honestly quite 'similar'. The UI of Additive Pro makes it all a lot more approachable in a good way :)

• Thanks for the thread hijacking! ;)

By the way, when people go on and on about long lists of things an app doesn't do, or behavior they think a feature set should have, and that it's not AU, etc. etc. Especially if it's a recently released app or a new big update, it gives users like me who don't know all the little details, great pause on buying the app. Makes me feel like something is wrong with the app or it's not finished yet or something.

This happened with the recent release of Cubasis. A couple users went on and on about all the things they felt were missing or that they didn't think worked the way they should. This went on for pages full of detailed critical posts that I didn't fully understand but gave me the impression Cubasis wasn't ready to come out of the oven or something. So, I didn't buy it.

I mostly didn't buy because I don't really need another DAW, it the incessant posts about a couple user's micro-critique gave me the initial pause to wait and not pull the trigger.

Jus' sayin.

Back to my original question...

Other users have sent me messages saying they couldn't hear the accent tab effects either. One says he's figured out what's going on for him and will explain his findings to me later.

I tried the accent tabs in connection with the tie tabs, and then deactivated the accent from the tied notes, and still didn't hear a difference.

Are you saying that I'll only hear what accent is doing while using an external keyboard? I have one, but wasn't using it last night. I also haven't tried the suggestions by @virsyn and @nick suggested. Will later. I found definitions of what accent is supposed to do, I just couldn't make it have that effect while trying to learn the app and what all the various parameters do.

• Ok, just went through the suggestion of @nick and could indeed clearly tell what the accent was doing. And then went into the list of what to try from @virsyn and it was even further clarified. Thank you! All good and clear now. :)

• Yep I can show you easily if you still need it @skiphunt

I've a suspicion that some of the Arps have just been done from random noodling as they have the accent tabs used for no logical reason for the preset used ;)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yep I can show you easily if you still need it @skiphunt

I've a suspicion that some of the Arps have just been done from random noodling as they have the accent tabs used for no logical reason for the preset used ;)

Yes! I'm not quite as clueless as I was last night when I asked ;) but anything that helps cement the new knowledge is welcome indeed.

• Open preset: pads 01 TwelveOsc (I've renamed it in the pic)

Go to the arp screen and do the following

As shown in the pic:
    Reduce the gate time to make it easier to here any affect.
    Reduce the Velo accent and Velo normal amounts to low settings.
    Make the arp for a single track with no other changes except two accents.

Now go to the Mod / Filter page:

Now go to the modulation source for the cutoff:

Make sure this is set to velocity. Now we are affecting the cutoff by velocity. Make sure the amount is not set to zero or to low as you may not hear any effect still. The current value of the original preset is just fine.

Now go back to the arp page and play the preset.
    Take off the accents and listen again.
    Replace the accents and alter the Velo accent dial - you should now be able to clearly hear the affect the accent tabs are having on the sound.

Hope this helps further exploration :)

Sorry if someone else has already explained this, as I've not read the whole thread as busy

• @Fruitbat1919 even more knowledge ammo. Thanks!

• @skiphunt said:
    @Fruitbat1919 even more knowledge ammo. Thanks!

Obviously more you can do than that example, but that's for you to find out and give me the heads up on ;) :p