Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy setup - RC 3 clone?

I'm wondering if it's possible to setup loopy to mimic a Boss RC-3. Basically having one footswitch that can performs all the controls: record/overdub/stop/clear.

If that's not possible I could use two switches, but is there the ability to add a long press option to them?

Comments

• Loopy supports long press over MIDI, yes. Not sure if you can do all of that with a single pedal but I'm also not sure how the RC-3 works. Maybe describe how it's done with the RC-3? Loopy can do all 4 functions with with two pedals for sure.

• I used the RC-3 as it's probably the most common single switch loop pedal (Ditto would have worked too). It's operations are:

Press to record
    Press again for overdub
    Press again for loop playback (from this point toggles overdub)

Press twice to stop

Press and hold to clear.

• One thing to keep in mind is that a vast majority of midi foot controller pedals send midi program change messages whilst for the long press function loopy requires C C (control change) messages.

I've had many of them and as far as I know only fcb 1010, ik blueboard and positive grid's latest Bluetooth pedal support cc.

• KMI Softstep and 12 step, I think.

• @aaronpc said:
    KMI Softstep and 12 step, I think.

Yes, you're right. Just a word of caution @jayfehr pedals like blueboard and soft step don't provide as much tactile feedback as boss pedals so even if they light up, when you're facing the audience it isn't always ideal to be looking down to check weather the pedal has been activated. I sold my blueboard because of this.

• What about this one?

Ostinator-looper,sampler by Living Memory Software
    https://appsto.re/gb/LLc79.i

• @jayfehr I don't think there is a one-button solution in Loopy. You may end up having to learn a new foot tapping habit that uses two buttons. The good news is that pretty much any foot controller you use with loopy will have 2 buttons or more.

The main action you would use is "toggle record, then overdub" in Loopy settings. This action takes care of everything on your list except the stop and clear functions.

• A related question: anyone here using the new Positive Grid foot pedals? They look nice and "clicky" and like a solid Bluetooth option.

https://www.positivegrid.com/bt4/

• edited September 2016

Hey guys - I'm going full-tilt getting Loopy Masterpiece (soon to be known as Loopy 3, btw) ready for market over the next couple of months. One of the big new features is the control system, which is waaay sophisticated - and yep, you'll be able to emulate the RC3 pretty easily (for example, Loopy 3 adds double-tap MIDI actions, as well as multi-action bindings and action sequencing).

You've reminded me: I would really like to bundle some control presets for commonly-used hardware which emulates popular loopstations, but I think this is probably a job for someone more familiar with them than I am. I intend to open L3 up to beta shortly, and would really appreciate some help assembling these, if anyone's interested. You can now import and export control profiles and switch between them (either via the UI or via a MIDI trigger), so it'd be a matter of putting together a profile and emailing it over.

If you're not already on the mailing list, do sign up - I'll be doing a call for beta testers in not-very-long-at-all.

Yours in fatigue and excitement,
    Michael =D

• ^^^. So excited :) :). :)

• Tell me about it :D

• @Michael said:
    Tell me about it :D

Michael, while you're at it. Any chance of having long press function for PC messages? Or is it too much work?

I'm only asking because the vast majority of midi foot controllers only transmit PC.

Joining you in all the excitement!

• edited September 2016

Hmmm - am I missing something? PC is only momentary, isn't it? Which means there's no on/off state associated with it...

...I guess if a pedal sends one PC message on press, and a different one on release, that could be detected, though. Hard to configure, but.

• @Michael said:
    for example, Loopy 3 adds double-tap MIDI actions, as well as multi-action bindings and action sequencing.

You can now import and export control profiles and switch between them (either via the UI or via a MIDI trigger), so it'd be a matter of putting together a profile and emailing it over.

Yowza, this sounds great. Can't wait! :smiley:

• edited September 2016

Michael, could we get long press and double click with keyboard bindings too? I've built my own bluetooth pedal board using Adafruit's EZ-Key, which sends key commands, not midi.

Bluetooth Midi controllers are very expensive and usually only have four switches.

• @jayfehr Bluetooth qwerty keyboards on iOS don't actually send a "release" command. So there is no way to do a long press for keyboard bindings.

I think double click should be possible, definitely useful.

• Yep, double-click's no problem - hold's going to not be possible, though, same as MIDI PC

• edited September 2016

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

Michael, while you're at it. Any chance of having long press function for PC messages? Or is it too much work?

I'm only asking because the vast majority of midi foot controllers only transmit PC.

It may be a limitation of the foot controller, they would just fire the program change message when you press down on the button, and nothing (because what would it send?) on release. It would be a weird, esoteric feature to send different PC messages on release. Probably any foot controller that could be programmed to that degree would have note messsages.

If it can do note on/off messages, then you can have the software be able to do something with long presses, because it is getting the note on message when you first press down, and thus knows it is a long press when it hasn't gotten the note off message after a second or two.

• (Or, specifically, 0.5 seconds =))

• You can now import and export control profiles and switch between them (either via the UI or via a MIDI trigger)

Swoooon. So you can have a profile you use for building up loops, hit a switch and be using a different mixing profile?

• A-yup. How cool is that??

• @Processaurus said:

@supadom said:

@Michael said:

It may be a limitation of the foot controller, they would just fire the program change message when you press down on the button, and nothing (because what would it send?) on release. It would be a weird, esoteric feature to send different PC messages on release. Probably any foot controller that could be programmed to that degree would have note messsages.

If it can do note on/off messages, then you can have the software be able to do something with long presses, because it is getting the note on message when you first press down, and thus knows it is a long press when it hasn't gotten the note off message after a second or two.

@Michael said:
    (Or, specifically, 0.5 seconds =))

@sonosaurus has the point. It could be a comfortable range 0.8 - 1.5 secs. Of course I totally understand if it isn't worth the punt that's cool. Just pity as there's a lot of quality foot pedals out there.

Wouldn't want to delay loopy 3 release anyway.

• Just to be clear, that was @Processaurus, not me :)

• So hard to keep the dinosaurs straight.

• edited September 2016

@lukesleepwalker said:
    So hard to keep the dinosaurs straight.

They're starting to come back!

• .> @jayfehr said:

I used the RC-3 as it's probably the most common single switch loop pedal (Ditto would have worked too). It's operations are:

Press to record
    Press again for overdub
    Press again for loop playback (from this point toggles overdub)

Press twice to stop

Press and hold to clear.

I don't want to hijack this thread for blatant advertising. But my new looper app Quantiloop is able to support a setup like a RC3 or Ditto, but also 300 etc. One of the main design goals is that it should operate like a hardware looper that you are already familiar to.
    It supports hold, double tap and tap action per midi controller. Currently MIDI CC only. Note On/Off will be coming. (Note that for hold to be possible the MIDI controller has to support momentary actions; some MIDI controllers are latching only. In the case of an IRIG Bluebeard for instance make sure to upgrade to the latest firmware which supports momentary operation).

• @michael do these amazing improvements include auto record? Also, in regard to putting together a profile and emailing it to you. Do you mean a description of the actions used similar to what @jayfer did above this post ^^ ?
    Really loving the importing and switching between control profiles idea. Especially via UI.

• Do you mean Audio Punch-In, @Ben? If so, why yes, they do =)

Actually, no, I mean the actual profile: you can now create control profiles, and share them from the app (via iMessage, email, etc). Then you can import them into the app from the other end.

Yeah, I'm excited about profile switching, too. It's way cool. Also way cool: switch projects from a MIDI/Bluetooth command, either a particular project or the next one in the same folder. So, set lists!

• @michael. Auto Record mode as I know it means recording begins when the looper detects input.

Sorry for being stupid but the control profiles are something that we'll be able to personalize and import and this is done after Loopy3 is released?

Set lists. Love that.

• Yep, that's Audio Punch-In.

Yes, that's right - you create and edit them as you like, and share, etc. And I'd like to have some built-in already, too.