Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recycle-like loop chopping in iOS, with original timing?

Are there any ios app options that do loop slicing/chopping, that can play the slices back with their original timing in the loop, like in Reason, with Dr. Rex? I'm thinking about the very handy button where it fills the piano roll with ascending notes, to play the loop in it's original order and timing (no quantizing).

The reason I ask, is it is the most natural "time compression" scheme for loops, the fidelity is outstanding, because the audio remains untouched, it just scrunches the slices closer together, and the edits happen in the quietest part of the sound. Not interested in glitchy remixing. Just seems like the main choices for slicing (Egoist, Abu Dhabi) are stuck on the grid, very mechanical sounding, or at least, doesn't have a way to extract the original timing to the sequencer.

I guess Apple Loops are apple's answer to the Recycle file format (.rex), with embedded tempo info, and transient markers, and Garageband can play them, but I'm not sure you can create them on the ipad, I believe you'd need Logic, on the computer, to prepare the loops.

Thanks!

Comments

• Beat twirl
    Or
    Strom

• @dblonde said:
    Beat twirl
    Or
    Strom

I saw Beat Twirl, and it looked right, but the reviews were pretty negative, mostly regarding it's stability. Even the guy that loved it had some weird work arounds so it doesn't crash. Also not updated in a long time. Do you use it?

Didn't know strom does that, I'll take another look, thanks!

• @Processaurus said:

@dblonde said:
    Beat twirl
    Or
    Strom

I saw Beat Twirl, and it looked right, but the reviews were pretty negative, mostly regarding it's stability. Even the guy that loved it had some weird work arounds so it doesn't crash. Also not updated in a long time. Do you use it?

Didn't know strom does that, I'll take another look, thanks!

This is an iOS music unicorn. There's been much discussion about the promise of beat twirl… And it's disappointments.

Numerous times I have actually posted on these forums asking if there is a developer who is looking for an investment to build a tool like this. It doesn't exist.

• so you need a slicer with transient detection?

• @kobamoto said:
    so you need a slicer with transient detection?

I guess it doesn't even need to be a full sample player, just a looper that does tempo changes by slicing at transients. It just sounds so excellent doing it that way.

Samplr does it, minus the transient detection, with the play button in the blue trigger tool. There is a little jerkiness to the attack, it seems like, though, it doesn't sound seamless, like Recycle.

Abu Dhabi has everything, except transient detection, and a way to fill the piano roll with the original timing and sequence of the loop.

• @j_liljedahl You're not doing anything more pressing, by chance?

• Auria pro can do it, but is a DAW, not a sampler.

• Would Egoist work?

• edited September 2016

I would like this feature in Egoist too, maybe suggest to Sugarbytes.

I spend a fair bit of time doing it manually in Egoist as a starting point. it's time consuming but only possible if you do it yourself. Looks like the same in IMPCpro though i don't have that yet.

Ableton Live has this built in, Slice to new midi track, where the timing remains intact but yes, would be nice if Egoist did this apart from just detecting transients.

• it's an option in impc pro, so you can do it both ways

• @kobamoto said:
    it's an option in impc pro, so you can do it both ways

Ok I didn't know that, so in IMPCpro all the slices come out with the midi points at the correct corresponding time in the sequencer?
    Might have to get that, although unfortunately it's not Egoist.

• I'm sorry I might have misunderstood, what do you mean by midi points?

the impc slicer has transient slicing, non-transient slicing, and time stretched slicing.

• @kobamoto said:
    I'm sorry I might have misunderstood, what do you mean by midi points?

the impc slicer has transient slicing, non-transient slicing, and time stretched slicing.

I'm guessing he wants the timing of the original slice points to be extracted to a midi track so the loop plays back exactly the same even though it is sliced. And each slice is able to be triggered from a midi note.

• @mireko_2 said:

I'm guessing he wants the timing of the original slice points to be extracted to a midi track so the loop plays back exactly the same even though it is sliced. And each slice is able to be triggered from a midi note.

Beatmaker 2 does that :)

• @kobamoto said:
    I'm sorry I might have misunderstood, what do you mean by midi points?

Each slice has a corresponding midi triggering note, so in Ableton Live when you slice to midi it lays it out on the sequencer so when you play it back it keeps the time correct. This is what I'd also like as an option in Egoist. wondered if it does this in IMPC

• edited September 2016

_oh ok, skip ahead to 12:48 in the clip
    _

• edited September 2016

also the impc pro has the capability to assign different tempos/bpm to individual sequences, even every pattern in your song if you want. forgot to mention that earlier as I see you need tempo automation too

• ok thanks, looks useful, but it looks as that only works when you split into equal subdivisions from that clip, not if you split by transient detection. To make it play back in the correct way (in the same way Live does) after transient splitting, it looks as though you would have to do it manually. But would definitely get impc pro if it does do that.

• edited September 2016

that last clip was made long before transient detection and realtime time stretch was implemented if I'm not mistaken, now with the transient detection it should work the same ( don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

I concur though, they've got a long, long way to go before they out do ableton live (fav software of all time), but the impc pro does pretty good for being only $12.99 compared to other slicer apps that don't allow tempo automation, or have these 3 types of sample slicing.

• Look like I'll get IMPC pro eventually, wondering whether new upcoming Beathawk update has any tricks up it's sampling sleeve...

• @Carnbot said:
    Look like I'll get IMPC pro eventually, wondering whether new upcoming Beathawk update has any tricks up it's sampling sleeve...

Beathawk...Beathawk?!

"Good things come to those who wait"

• I'm waiting to see what bm3 has got going, and fl mobile even more!