Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit users , gotta question for you!!!

does the side chain comp on the circuit work on audio or is it based on lowering velocity via midi, I'm trying to figure out if I can use it to trigger pseudo sidechain comp on external synths being controlled and sequenced by the circuit?

Comments

• what happened to all the Circuiteers?

• I think they are in bed asleep :)

• ahh, could be. lemme see what I can find on the google machine

• if you ever buy this thing, @kobamoto , it will be the most well-researched purchase in the history of capitalism.

• if it's a velocity based sidechain then we'd be able to bypass the synth parts all together, still get the side chaining effect and be able to pan the synth parts :)

• @kobamoto said:
    if it's a velocity based sidechain then we'd be able to bypass the synth parts all together, still get the side chaining effect and be able to pan the synth parts :)

Oh either way I am sure you would find a ton of creative uses for it.

• Pretty sure it's audio based, if you have longer held notes they still duck. Muting the kick removes the sidechaining effect too. I don't think it's based on a compressor though though, I think it's modulating the volume directly.

• Hi,
    Sorry for hijacking the thread. I have a question about sample import. It says you can fill the 32 pads with custom samples. Are all the factory (drum) sounds replaced ?
    I thought Circuit has 4 drum banks (plus you can use octave up down) and custom samples go to specific bank.

• edited September 2016

I thought it was audio based, but I've just done a test and I can find virtually no difference in the sidechained signal even with wildly non-kick samples in place (and even "empty" sample slots). Seems to be a rhythmic gate rather than a proper sidechain...

EDIT: Step velocity is also ignored. It's a pure gate.

• ah ok, thanks Tarekith/jiggywig... I was thinking if it's a midi thing then I should be able to run it out to other synths and still get the effect while still being able to pan my stuff how I need via external mixer :( ok I give up.

• edited September 2016

@Korakios said:
    Hi,
    Sorry for hijacking the thread. I have a question about sample import. It says you can fill the 32 pads with custom samples. Are all the factory (drum) sounds replaced ?
    I thought Circuit has 4 drum banks (plus you can use octave up down) and custom samples go to specific bank.

There are 64 drum sample slots, you can replace anything you like, but there is a limit of 60 seconds of audio in total. Each of the drum parts plays one sample selected from the 64. Though note, with the newest firmware release you get "sample flip" which is automation of the patch selections for each drum part i.e. you can still only have 4 drums sounding at once, but you can change the samples in use every step if you wish.

It's pretty cool. I wasn't much interested in replacing the samples at first, when the feature first appeared; so long as I could only play 4 sounds I thought the factory sounds were good enough, especially since you can automate the drum shaping macros ( pitch/decay/distortion ). But the new sample-flip now makes it easy to mix in drum variations, fx, risers, chord stabs etc. This one addition pushed this little box of wonders up another level.

:smile:

• Thanks @JiggyWig :) .I really appreciate the Novation team for offering these upgrades (some people instead of congratulate the free-add on-upgrade ,where disappointed and expected more..)
    So the 64 samples replace all sample banks (meaning the 4 drum parts) of circuit?

Maybe instead of asking I should try finding my self , it's just I have the circuit less than a day and need to learn other stuff first.

• @Korakios said:
    Thanks @JiggyWig :) .I really appreciate the Novation team for offering these upgrades (some people instead of congratulate the free-add on-upgrade ,where disappointed and expected more..)
    So the 64 samples replace all sample banks (meaning the 4 drum parts) of circuit?

Maybe instead of asking I should try finding my self , it's just I have the circuit less than a day and need to learn other stuff first.

Yes, there are no "banks" as such. There are 64 samples, and 4 drum "parts" that can play them.

Consider popping over to the official Circuit Owners Group on facebook for more Circuit-centric discussion.
    ( Hope this isn't an inappropriate plug: https://www.facebook.com/groups/circuitowners/ )

• any of you circuit users wanna trade your circuit for my launchpad pro?

• edited September 2016

No.
    :)

This is starting to sound like a Dawn Penn song :D

• what you guys need is a wonderful Launchpad Pro to go with your circuit :)

• @kobamoto said:
    what you guys need is a wonderful Launchpad Pro to go with your circuit :)

I've got Launchpad MK II which is nice, although I must admit a Pro would be nicer :)

• edited September 2016

how could it not be a match made in heaven.... both working without a computer, both working with an iPad if you like, and both working with other external hardware, no other launchpad will do all of that for ya

• edited September 2016

@kobamoto said:
    how could it not be a match made in heaven.... both working without a computer, both working with an iPad if you like, and both working with other external hardware, no other launchpad will do all of that for ya I now cause I have them all

You make them sound like pokemon :D

• they'll make you as happy as a pokemon :)

• It didn't work when I tried offloading my QY700 !

• Actually thinking about it, @launchpadforios could be a Pokemon name :D