Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help: IAA mixdown of Animoog in Cubasis

Hi.

Am getting back into Cubasis after the update - but can anyone tell me if/how they use Animoog as an IAA instrument in Cubasis?

I can get it to load and hear it, but when I freeze the track or do a mixdown, the track is silient.

Is this a known bug?

Anyone got it to work, ever?

@lars @GeertBevin @MoogMusicInc - anyone tested this combination?

Comments

• Same here @Matt_Fletcher_2000
    Switch to Poseidon and the same track freezes perfectly, back to Animooog completely empty audio track again. Bug in Animoog?

• I wonder if it's a new bug with the Cubasis 2 update, or if Animoog has never worked as an IAA in Cubasis.

It's a real shame anyway.

• There was a 'silence' issue with freezing Model 15 tracks in the initial release that Moog managed to fix.
    So it's likely the same 'issue' in Animoog.

• Thanks @Samu.

Is there any way to record the output of a single Cubasis IAA track into another Cubasis track 'live'?

That would at least be a work around I guess.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Thanks @Samu.

Is there any way to record the output of a single Cubasis IAA track into another Cubasis track 'live'?

Audiobus?

• @Jocphone said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Thanks @Samu.

Audiobus?

Yep - having it as an audiobus track driven by a midi track is a work around I guess. That does work (I tried it). But bit of a faff to be using IAA for everything else and Audiobus just for Animoog.

Thanks @Samu.

You can always use Animoog as IAA-Generator and feed the midi from another track until the nice folks over at Moog come out with a fix :) (You'll need to mess around with the MidiDelay settings in Cubasis Preferences to align the resulting audio to the midi-notes you send to Animoog).

Personally I just hope @LFS and his team sorts out the 'bugs' that cause the frozen tracks from all IAA/AU-X-Instruments to end up 'off the grid'. Track-Freezing with the built-in Mini-Sampler and Microsonic works perfectly while the Micrologue suffers from the same freeze issues together with just about all IAA and AU-X instruments.

So even when 'Freezing' from Model 15 'works' if you look closely and compare the midi-notes and the 'frozen audio' they are not aligned with each other as they should have been if freezing worked properly...

As a temporary solution (until it gets fixed in Cubasis 2.0) I use Garageband to render the AU-X to audio-files (they are spot on the grid) and import them into Cubasis. Or create Mini-sampler instruments from the audio...

@Jocphone said:

Thanks @Samu.

Audiobus?

Yep - having it as an audiobus track driven by a midi track is a work around I guess. That does work (I tried it). But bit of a faff to be using IAA for everything else and Audiobus just for Animoog.

Just needs Moog to fix it by the sounds of things. @Samu said they had to do the same for Model 15 (I don't have it) so maybe email them?

• @Jocphone said:

@Jocphone said:

Thanks @Samu.

Audiobus?

Just needs Moog to fix it by the sounds of things. @Samu said they had to do the same for Model 15 (I don't have it) so maybe email them?

You need to get Model15. It sounds absolutely amazing!

• @Samu said:

Thanks @Samu.

You can always use Animoog as IAA-Generator and feed the midi from another track until the nice folks over at Moog come out with a fix :) (You'll need to mess around with the MidiDelay settings in Cubasis Preferences to align the resulting audio to the midi-notes you send to Animoog).

Personally I just hope @LFS and his team sorts out the 'bugs' that cause the frozen tracks from all IAA/AU-X-Instruments to end up 'off the grid'. Track-Freezing with the built-in Mini-Sampler and Microsonic works perfectly while the Micrologue suffers from the same freeze issues together with just about all IAA and AU-X instruments.

So even when 'Freezing' from Model 15 'works' if you look closely and compare the midi-notes and the 'frozen audio' they are not aligned with each other as they should have been if freezing worked properly...

As a temporary solution (until it gets fixed in Cubasis 2.0) I use Garageband to render the AU-X to audio-files (they are spot on the grid) and import them into Cubasis. Or create Mini-sampler instruments from the audio...

Thanks @samu I'll try that. So would I have to Freeze both the midi track and the Animoog IAA-Generator? I'll try it anyway.

Thanks @samu I'll try that. So would I have to Freeze both the midi track and the Animoog IAA-Generator? I'll try it anyway.

No need to 'freeze'.
    Just do a normal recording and enable recording for the track that has Animoog as an IAA-Generator :)

@Jocphone said:

You need to get Model15. It sounds absolutely amazing!

So I believe from reports on here. Maybe when I eventually upgrade to something with more poke and storage space.

Actually one thing that did sound amazing was when I tried Animoog to verify this issue and hadn't realised that I had Cubasis saturation (from the new channel strip) and a overdrive or distorion plugin on top. Hit some notes and thought blimey! I don't remember Animoog sounding this insane..

• @Samu said:

No need to 'freeze'.
    Just do a normal recording and enable recording for the track that has Animoog as an IAA-Generator :)

Hi @samu / anyone else , I'm stuck!!!

How do I get Animoog to be an IAA-Generator???

I can only seem to add it to a midi track - and there's just one option in IAA instruments and it's simply 'Animoog'.

What am I missing?

• You can route Animoog to an Audio track (use the "Routing" tab on the left), then send a midi track in Cubasis to Animoog.

Hi @samu / anyone else , I'm stuck!!!

How do I get Animoog to be an IAA-Generator???

First...

• Create an Audio-Track in Cubasis.
    • Go to Routing in the Track Inspector.
    • Select Inter-App Audio.
    • Scroll to Animoog and select it.(Animoog launches and you're ready to roll).

After that you can create a midi-track and send the midi-out put to Animoog
    (This is also done in the routing menu in the track-inspector of the midi-track).

Don't forget to arm recording on the audio-track containing Animoog when you're ready to record...

• @1P18 said:
    You can route Animoog to an Audio track (use the "Routing" tab on the left), then send a midi track in Cubasis to Animoog.

Erm... I take that back, can't get it to work, though it should work...

• @1P18 said:

@1P18 said:
    You can route Animoog to an Audio track (use the "Routing" tab on the left), then send a midi track in Cubasis to Animoog.

Okay, got it to work by playing the keyboard in Cubasis (was previously using a midi clip, though that should work too in theory).

• @1P18 said:

@1P18 said:

@1P18 said:

Okay, got it to work by playing the keyboard in Cubasis (was previously using a midi clip, though that should work too in theory).

Yeah, midi clips won't go through to Animoog for whatever reason, but the keyboard will. Some of the shine is coming off Cubasis 2. :(

• @1P18 said:

Yeah, midi clips won't go through to Animoog for whatever reason, but the keyboard will. Some of the shine is coming off Cubasis 2. :(

Midi-Clips go to Animoog too, I just recorded some audio from 'Animoog' driven from a midi-clip in Cubasis 2...

• edited September 2016

@Samu said:

@1P18 said:

Midi-Clips go to Animoog too...

Got it to work, loading "No Instrument" into the midi track did the trick. Cubasis 2, shiny again. :)

• @1P18 said:

>

Got it to work, loading "No Instrument" into the midi track did the trick. Cubasis 2, shiny again. :)

Goodie :)

To get things to 'lined-up'(ie. spot-on the grid) is another pretty tedious task.
    (This was and still is an issue when recording real midi-hardware and it involves messing with the midi-delay).

If you're missing initial transients from the recordings set the midi-delay to 100ms before starting to record and trim away the silence.(Reset it to 0 when you're done recording animoog or another synth to avoid messing things up).

• edited September 2016

@Samu said:

@1P18 said:

>

Goodie :)

To get things to 'lined-up'(ie. spot-on the grid) is another pretty tedious task.
    (This was and still is an issue when recording real midi-hardware and it involves messing with the midi-delay).

If you're missing initial transients from the recordings set the midi-delay to 100ms before starting to record and trim away the silence.(Reset it to 0 when you're done recording animoog or another synth to avoid messing things up).

Thanks both.

Had more of a play this evening.

Got Animoog working as an IAA generator on audio track, and that works well. So that's the work around for Animoog. I wasn't too worried about latency because it was a big pad soundscape thing.

However with my Model15 arp track, I see what you mean about latency. It's quite off.

For Model15 I figured it wouldn't be good to employ the Freeze or mixdown due to the latency.

So I thought I'd try the IAA generator method, but I can't seem to figure out how to get Model15 to work as a generator. It has the 'audio bridge' option only and I couldn't figure out how to route M15s audio into that and have it sounding the same.

So in the end I just recorded the Model 15 track into AudioShare instead, cropped the silence from the start in AudioShare and 'opened in' Cubasis. Hey presto... perfect timing.

To be honest mixing down the track into AudioShare and reimporting into Cubasis seems like the easiest and most precise method of them all. I think I'll stick with that next time.

One last question... What do people do to tidy up their old midi tracks? It starts to get confusing having essential two tracks (the midi and the audio) for every track. But at the same I don't really want to delete the midi in case I want to alter and re-record. I wish you could place the audio over the midi (is that BM2 that lets you do that?). Or collapse the midi tracks down.

Anyway, I'd say going back and having another go with Cubasis has been relatively successful, but there's still an awful lot of faffing around loading, unloading, routing, freezing and so on. It does reduce down the ammount of time actually thinking about the music. Especially if the idea is to build the whole track up in Cubasis.

The CPU meter also maxed out with Animoog, Model15 and RuisFM playing together (with AUFX Space, but no other effects). It created clicks and glitches. This is on an Air2.

I know they are heavy apps, but AUM seems to be able to cope with that combination absolutely fine. So that's another slight bummer. And means it's tricky to add in other little adornments on top from other apps. I guess it's all about freezing/recording track by track.

I'm thinking now how I can lay down some core parts of a track (big pads, hooky arp) with big apps like the Moog apps, and then take these and somehow create the rest of the track with Gadget (because it's so much quicker/easier to work in). I might try my trick of freezing a long Gadget track, finding the file in iFunBox, and replacing it with my own audiofile with the same name. Believe it or not this worked a few years ago when I tried it!

• I commit to audio, and the AUM + Audioshare combo is great for that. Something about playing live too, makes everything seem more... Alive! Imagine that.

Not sure how I'll factor Cubasis 2 into all that, but one way would be to keep one track exclusively midi, too send out as needed with the rest of the tracks being audio. I'm sure the new time stretch would play a factor there.

• @1P18 said:
    Not sure how I'll factor Cubasis 2 into all that, but one way would be to keep one track exclusively midi, too send out as needed with the rest of the tracks being audio.

That's a good idea - having just one midi track to keep things tidy. You could label the different midi clips instead (I presume you can do that somehow?) and then just shunt them off to the right to keep them out of the way. You'd just need to remember to route you midi track to different apps as required at different times. But that's fairly straight forward.

• edited September 2016

So my idea worked!

A kind of work around for putting long audio tracks into Gadget and writing the rest of the track around them.

• create a freeze track in Gadget
    • Find the audiofile for that freeze track using iFunbox
    • Replace it with your own audio track (named the same filename)
    • Relaunch gadget and hey presto

Only problem is you can't split, or add time before the audio track. And you can only fade it up or down. No other effects. And it won't render out when Gadget mixs down. But you can just render all tracks outs to Auria (or similar) and replace your special track there. Or just record Gadgets master out to AudioShare.