Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Addictive Pro - Arp tutorial

Hi all,

just uploaded a video showing some aspects of the Arpeggiator built into Addictive Pro.
This is Part 1, please let me know what you want to have in Part 2...

Harry / VirSyn

Comments

• Great stuff, very useful - and thanks for another brilliant synth :)

• Will watch later, but great idea and much appreciated :)

• @VirSyn excellent stuff. i gotta ask though. does the synth accept midi clock ?
    for the life of me i cannot seem to get it to tempo sync in AUM....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    @VirSyn excellent stuff. i gotta ask though. does the synth accept midi clock ?
    for the life of me i cannot seem to get it to tempo sync in AUM....

This is the no. 1 question for me also. Id like to have this great synth as part of a synced setup but it doesnt want to play ball at the moment.
    It really is inspiring playing with its arp

• Can part 2 be the Midi Learn fix for TERA synth? Pleeease! ;)

• edited September 2016

Nice arp btw.

• I think may have become my favourite synth.

• @gonekrazy3000 @Richtowns We're currently testing Ableton Link, MIDI sync should work - will include this in the tests.
    @SpookyZoo ...it will come but not as video but in real ;-)

• @VirSyn said:
    @gonekrazy3000 @Richtowns We're currently testing Ableton Link, MIDI sync should work - will include this in the tests.

While you're at it, selecting wave: square or sawtooth gives the same display of partials as each other.

• @u0421793 said:

@VirSyn said:
    @gonekrazy3000 @Richtowns We're currently testing Ableton Link, MIDI sync should work - will include this in the tests.

While you're at it, selecting wave: square or sawtooth gives the same display of partials as each other.

Nice spot :)

• Can't speak for the others, many of whom are far better at handling these things than I, but in a future tutorial I;d find it helpful if you spoke, explaining what control you were using and what it does, etc.

Very nice app, BTW, equally wonderful for those of us messing around with sound and those who are more technically adept.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@u0421793 said:

@VirSyn said:

Nice spot :)

Hmmm it's early here, so can't turn the volume up much, but they sound the same wave on a new init preset

• edited September 2016

@Nkersov said:
    Can't speak for the others, many of whom are far better at handling these things than I, but in a future tutorial I;d find it helpful if you spoke, explaining what control you were using and what it does, etc.

I think it helps to have a good muck about with the app first before watching the tutorial, I didn't realise what the 'tie' icons were doing until watching this so it's clarified things in that respect.

@VirSyn one thing I'm having a lot of problems with is selecting the arp range for each track. Watching your video you're simply selecting an area in the middle of the sequencer and dragging left or right to define the play area. When I do this it sometimes works, but more often than not I end up drawing notes across the screen instead. Is there a trick to doing this? I know that for the start area it helps to start from the far left of the screen, but the end/right hand point is trickier to edit without drawing notes.

@Nkersov said:
    Very nice app, BTW, equally wonderful for those of us messing around with sound and those who are more technically adept.

Apart from the issue I mentioned above, this has already become my favourite synth app for experimenting with. While it's not something I would automatically go to for a bass sound, for example (Moog 15 has that one covered), it is incredibly deep and rewarding to muck about with. I got some amazing complex evolving rhythms and pads going last night, and the UI made it a real joy to play with. I'm slowly getting the hang of what does what now, I think it's just a case of spending time experimenting - and the results are very rewarding.

This is a very unique synth, and capable of some pretty far out sounds.

• edited September 2016

@VirSyn said:

@VirSyn Great news and a amazing synth. Link is defo my first choice. Midi sync may well work but it's not clear how.
    Agree with @MonzoPro, I found creating diferent arp ranges dificult and drew notes instead. It probably works great we just need to know the trick.

• This is definitely one of those synths (yet again) that makes me wish I hadn't wasted any money on any prior synths I've ever bought.

• @u0421793 said:
    This is definitely one of those synths (yet again) that makes me wish I hadn't wasted any money on any prior synths I've ever bought.

You really can drag all sorts of timbres out of this one :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@u0421793 said:
    This is definitely one of those synths (yet again) that makes me wish I hadn't wasted any money on any prior synths I've ever bought.

In many ways, this is your replacement Yamaha TG33.

• @u0421793 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@u0421793 said:

In many ways, this is your replacement Yamaha TG33.

Isn't that the same as the SY22 I used to play with?

• @Richtowns said:

@VirSyn said:

@VirSyn Great news and a amazing synth. Link is defo my first choice. Midi sync may well work but it's not clear how.
    Agree with @MonzoPro, I found creating diferent arp ranges dificult and drew notes instead. It probably works great we just need to know the trick.

@Richtowns found a workaround. When modstep sends clock to addictive pro it actually accepts. Since modstep has ableton link this basically means addictive pro has link too.
    Even if modstep is not actually sending notes to it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@VirSyn one thing I'm having a lot of problems with is selecting the arp range for each track. Watching your video you're simply selecting an area in the middle of the sequencer and dragging left or right to define the play area. When I do this it sometimes works, but more often than not I end up drawing notes across the screen instead. Is there a trick to doing this? I know that for the start area it helps to start from the far left of the screen, but the end/right hand point is trickier to edit without drawing notes.

Good. Thought it was just fat-fingered freddy here. I'm sure there's a trick, but would be grateful to learn it, as this is probably the single annoyance (for me) on this otherwise excellent bit of thing.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Good. Thought it was just fat-fingered freddy here. I'm sure there's a trick, but would be grateful to learn it, as this is probably the single annoyance (for me) on this otherwise excellent bit of thing.

From what my finger can tell:

Writing notes will happen in the highlighted area and outside of it if you drag your finger from in to out.

To move the play area, you need to place your finger outside the highlighted area but near the edge of it. Holding your finger down, move it and the area marker will move.

• To add: there is a jump from first moving your finger where the highlighted area marker moves to the point your finger is at, as the distance you can move the marker from is quite large. If during this time, you release and retouch the screen, you may now be on the highlighted area and make notes.

So, it does work, it's just that slight delay as the marker jumps to your finger and the possibility of lifting your finger for a fraction of a second, can cause the note issue. They could probably adjust the timings of these actions to make it happen less often.

• A question for the midi savvy. Addictive Pro doesn't have midi out, so playing a line in Modstep (using Modstep keyboard) that has the arp on in AP sounds cool but records the midi only of the base note.

Is there a way to write the arp's midi in Modstep (or Cubasis, etc)?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

A few people have confirmed this now, so it'd be useful to have some feedback from the dev, as per best fingering practices

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    To add: there is a jump from first moving your finger where the highlighted area marker moves to the point your finger is at, as the distance you can move the marker from is quite large. If during this time, you release and retouch the screen, you may now be on the highlighted area and make notes.

So, it does work, it's just that slight delay as the marker jumps to your finger and the possibility of lifting your finger for a fraction of a second, can cause the note issue. They could probably adjust the timings of these actions to make it happen less often.

I'll try this. I think the way this works though could be improved - some easy to drag tabs would be handy.

• edited September 2016

Yeah Fruitbat! It works poifectly! This app is sooooo much fun and this arp is really amazing!

• Definitely needs the link update.