Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Phasemaker: GOING UNIVERSAL!

I just wanted to share this with you to help beat the Monday blues...

It's a sneak preview of Phasemaker, a 6-operator FM synth. Basically a hybrid between a DX7 and a TX81Z.
Obviously in AU format.

The audio in the video is not great (recorded from my studio monitors with the iPhone), but it should give an idea how easy it is to tweak sounds while playing (full parameter automation supported of course). Most of the tweaking in the video happens from the "quick" edit view for fast tweakage on all operators simultaneously. But you can edit every operator separately in fine detail.

I think I'm about 50% done... I'll keep you posted...

Comments

• Sweet! Can;'t wait. Buy for me fer sure. :)

• edited September 2016

You keep emptying my wallet :'( . Why does that make me happy though D:

• Instabuy! Period.

• HOLY COW.
    This is fantastic-looking. But 50% complete is only a valuable metric if I know that you started, like, yesterday? A week ago?

Here's hoping.

• edited September 2016

HOLY COW.
    This is fantastic-looking. But 50% complete is only a valuable metric if I know that you started, like, yesterday?

Even knowing how long I've been working is not valuable information, considering the speed of development is a non-linear metric.

B)

• edited September 2016

oh..looking and sounding good.
    hey, is there a reason the rest of the screen (sides) can't be used to extend the interface and enlarge the buttons/controls? Is it a limitation of the AU setup? If my calculations are correct ;), about a quarter of the screen is unused space. Very few things ruffle my feathers like unused space.

• hey, is there a reason the rest of the screen (sides) can't be used to extend the interface and enlarge the buttons/controls? Is it a limitation of the AU setup?

No it's pretty much a convenience thing as it allows the same UI to be used in portrait mode (e.g. when running inside AUM etc.). And it forces me to keep the UI simple and not overstuff it with controls.

• That's taken the Monday Morning Blues away. :)

• @brambos
    Stop stealing from my wallet man! :)

• Woah! Looks amazing! I admit to having that thought when you put out an FM Drum app for AU that we could use a decent FM synth - looks like one is on the way!

As discussed thoroughly in our Volca FM discussion, FM synthesis programming can be fairly intimidating - I assume this will ship with a fair number of presets? (Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM have a good number!)

Thanks!

• Any chance of being able to import and export either DX7 or TX81z patches....?
    I'm hopeful but am expecting no as the answer :)

• Whoa, looks superb!

Yes, please!

• edited September 2016

@Carnbot said:
    Any chance of being able to import and export either DX7 or TX81z patches....?

To be investigated. Not in 1.0... It's not meant to be a DX7/DX81Z emulation, although the engine is similar. So importing existing patches will not sound the same as is, but you'll feel right at home if you're familiar with either synth (or with the Volca FM). It will take a smart translation engine to convert DX7 patches to Phasemaker patches, which is not on the priority list and could take a fair bit of work.

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

To be investigated. Not in 1.0... It's not meant to be a DX7/DX81Z emulation, although the engine is similar. So importing existing patches will not sound the same as is, but you'll feel right at home if you're familiar with either synth (or with the Volca FM). It will take a smart translation engine to convert DX7 patches to Phasemaker patches, which is not on the priority list and could take a fair bit of work.

On the flip side. Even if they won't sound identical just giving the ability to import would add thousands of free patches for those of us sound shape challenged....

• Looki......I mean sounding good :) I'll be in for a copy when it's out :)

• No doubts on this one, I wants it.

• Looks great! Maybe also good for Epiano sounds like tx81z...will buy :)

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

I can imagine it would be difficult. Very much looking forward to this one :)

• Looks great! Maybe also good for Epiano sounds like tx81z...will buy :)

And don't forget the brass and marimba 80s-cheese! Phasemaker should be able to do virtually everything that those classic machines can do. But also lush FM pads (thick and creamy, but just different from the typical analog pads). ;)

• @brambos said:

Looks great! Maybe also good for Epiano sounds like tx81z...will buy :)

And don't forget the brass and marimba 80s-cheese! Phasemaker should be able to do virtually everything that those classic machines can do. But also lush FM pads (thick and creamy, but just different from the typical analog pads). ;)

Oh yeah ;)

• @brambos
    Will it have an emulation of the mega noisy dirty outputs of the original DX7, or do I have to stick it through some fx for that realism? ;)

• I really tried to sit on my hands, but I cannot. WHEN?
    Roughly. Like, October? Or winter? Or 2017?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I really tried to sit on my hands, but I cannot. WHEN?
    Roughly. Like, October? Or winter? Or 2017?

Hard to say at this point. Still quite a few things to work out that I would rate as challenging (and I've already hit some snafus that took a bit longer than expected).

• @brambos I know I'm crazy full of ideas as always but there are just some 'things' that would make this really stand-out.

What about adding setting for individual feedback for each of the operators just like in the ReFace DX?
    And to add to the sonic palette 8, 12 and 16 bit 'wave-forms'(DX100 used 8-bit waves, TX81z used 12-Bit).

The resolution of the carrier waves can add some spice to the sounds :)

I've also been thinking about a totally 'crazy' mono-mode where each operator would optionally get it's frequency from the notes held down.(So pitch of first note goes to operator 1, second note operator 2, third operator 3, these would 'override' the settings in the patch). Talk about duo/trio/quadrophobic mayhem :D

I know these ideas might be waaaay 'out of scope' for what is planned...

Considering the quality of the Ruismakers this will be an easy purchase once released :)

• @Samu said:
    What about adding setting for individual feedback for each of the operators just like in the ReFace DX?

I've actually considered that, but I prefer using the standard feedback setup for a number of reasons. First off, I like the hissy/crackly quality of the DX7 feedback loop - it adds a really dirty and grungy side to the sound. On the ReFace feedback is only used to create sawtooth and pulse waves. I'm already incorporating several wavetypes, so this would be slightly redundant (and very CPU consuming). Although I must say it sounds pretty cool on the ReFace.

There's already a lot going on in each voice (I'm allowing 32 note polyphony, with basically 6 oscillators per voice) so I have to find the right balance between CPU consumption and sonic flexibility.

• edited September 2016

post deleted. wrong subject!

• @brambos said:

hey, is there a reason the rest of the screen (sides) can't be used to extend the interface and enlarge the buttons/controls? Is it a limitation of the AU setup?

No it's pretty much a convenience thing as it allows the same UI to be used in portrait mode (e.g. when running inside AUM etc.). And it forces me to keep the UI simple and not overstuff it with controls.

oh. to be honest that's not the answer i was looking for. could just be me(sounds like it might be), but i won't buy things that waste that much space while the controls/displays could be bigger

• Really looking forward to this :)