Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FRUM

Comments

• @studioAB said:

@skiphunt said:

@studioAB said:

@skiphunt said:
    Hmmm... Not much of this new info really bothers me all that much... other than they didn't ask permission first, which could've been just a slip-up.

However, collecting "your mobile device's unique device ID"... I thought Apple forbid apps collecting that specific information period... a couple years ago? Can any devs here chime in on this? Does appear more than a bit phishy.

I am a developer (not of music apps). Here is the statement from the developer agreement about device IDs:

" Further, neither You
    nor Your Application will use any permanent, device-based identifier, or any data derived
    therefrom, for purposes of uniquely identifying a device."

Well then is definitely no bueno. Do you know why Apple specifically doesn't allow this anymore, and what unscrupulous devs could potentially do with this data?

And, is it safe to assume that if we've already purchased this app, entered the prompted user name that creates an account upon launch, etc. that the dev's software has ALREADY captured this data?

There is a possibility that the unique id can be linked to an individual's identity along with other information contained on devices and how they are used. There are other ways to identify users anonymously for advertising purposes which Apple allows. I am hoping that this app's language does not accurately reflect what is going on, a new developer mistake or perhaps borrowing old language from other apps?

I did not request a refund, btw. I just reported the issue.

I haven't requested a refund yet either. And I'm still cool with just using lightning cable into Logic Pro if I get anything good out of it. I find it hard to believe there would be any malevolent intentions within a little audio app, so I'm hoping it's just a mistake made by a dev who's native language is not English and he cut/pasted something without knowing exactly what it meant.

• I don't know. I don't like the whole join our community business, putting aside even the fact that there's no Audiobus or Link or AudioShare. I see no reason to extend these guys the benefit of the doubt. Too many negatives.

• This latte tasted good when I sipped it in the cafe but when i walked out onto the street the bottom fell out of my cup. 8(

• I tried using it while in airplane mode and it wouldn't even let me load up any of the other sounds.. SHADY

• It is unfortunate for the dev if it was a mistake, but I just don't want anything on my device that may cause trouble. And it IS a cool/fun app, but..,,

• I'm probably in the minority on this, but as long as the app sounds good, I don't really give a shht, and I'm definitely not asking for a refund. There have been way worse apps out there that sound terrible but come loaded with features.

• Just checked, my installs (iPhone/iPad) won't even launch past the logo when in airplane mode. That might be a deal breaker for me. Pity.

• I posted another message on his fb, I really hope he chimes in here and that all of this turns out to be a misunderstanding of some sort as I was really looking forward to this app.

• @skiphunt said:
    Just checked, my installs (iPhone/iPad) won't even launch past the logo when in airplane mode. That might be a deal breaker for me. Pity.

That's my main beef is that it doesn't just work without being connected to the net.

• edited September 2016

@studioAB said:

@skiphunt said:
    Just checked, my installs (iPhone/iPad) won't even launch past the logo when in airplane mode. That might be a deal breaker for me. Pity.

That's my main beef is that it doesn't just work without being connected to the net.

Well, it's strange. Neither of my iPhone/iPad installs would launch in airplane mode. Then, I took them out of airplane mode, and still... neither would launch past the logo screen even though they were connected to internet.

I deleted both, and reinstalled... and they opened and launched fine. Then, I put the devices back into airplane mode, and again they opened fine without an internet connection.

Such a strange app and equally strange behavior over all. I was basically playing with it one last time to see if it's worth the hassle and weird data collection... Decided, it sure is a fun app that's really well done.

Can't decide. I'm kinda getting pissed off about the Privacy Policy, that I never agreed to, but it says I agreed to it by using the app. There's really no way to candy coat that. It's pure, unmitigated bullshit no matter how you slice it.

• Bought this several hours ago. Had fun with it until I noticed that I had to be online at all times to download demo songs and possibly even effects. Then I saw the "terms of use" garbage.

However, with a bit of Google magic...

Just wish these "needs to be online all the time" (for no apparent reason (maybe to questionably use info)) apps can be filtered in some way.

• share the magic

• Hello.
    I'm a friend of the developer from Japan.
    I'm pretty happy to see you guys have fun with FRUM.
    of course I like it too. this FM sounds really crazy.

This time, I heard from him right now that someone wants to ask about the dev
    I'm Japanese so my english is pretty poor but I maybe can answer to some questions.
    At least, I can tell Utabi the developer about it.

He is too busy by his real job.
    me too.
    there's Obon holidays in August in Japan, and after that we always get busy on this season.

I saw some of the speaking but some were too difficult to understand.
    so, please ask me with easy English.

-- about AUDIOBUS.
    I think FRUM don't need Audiobus.
    I'm enough with making only on Frum.
    But he started thinking about AB.

I'm also freelance worker so I'm going to sleep soon but I wanted to give you reliefing to get contact about FRUM.
    If I don't answer I will be back in 9 or 10 hours ...zzz...

• edited September 2016

Hello @usk
    Thanks for your post. Sleep well :)

I had an answer from Frum dev team just now

_We are considering to implement a feature that enables users to export
    their sounds soon as it is requested so much (in fact it is already
    implemented).
    About AudioBus, IAA, or Ableton Link, we are also looking into it now.
    We take your advice seriously and will discuss it among the team.
    Thanks,

frum dev team_

My comment :
    About the privacy issue, I think it may need a bit of clarification with the devs, as it is a proper musical app and not a useless advertised app, some aspects, legal ones, might have been a bit "forgotten" or copy/pasted quickly.
    Keep also in mind that Japanese are hyper connected, so these concepts might be culturally different.
    The real issue I see here is the fact of being connected all the time...
    I think we should give this team a bit of time to explain all this like gentlemen we are :)

• edited September 2016

@studioAB said:

@skiphunt said:

@studioAB said:

@skiphunt said:
    Hmmm... Not much of this new info really bothers me all that much... other than they didn't ask permission first, which could've been just a slip-up.

However, collecting "your mobile device's unique device ID"... I thought Apple forbid apps collecting that specific information period... a couple years ago? Can any devs here chime in on this? Does appear more than a bit phishy.

I am a developer (not of music apps). Here is the statement from the developer agreement about device IDs:

" Further, neither You
    nor Your Application will use any permanent, device-based identifier, or any data derived
    therefrom, for purposes of uniquely identifying a device."

Well then is definitely no bueno. Do you know why Apple specifically doesn't allow this anymore, and what unscrupulous devs could potentially do with this data?

And, is it safe to assume that if we've already purchased this app, entered the prompted user name that creates an account upon launch, etc. that the dev's software has ALREADY captured this data?

There is a possibility that the unique id can be linked to an individual's identity along with other information contained on devices and how they are used. There are other ways to identify users anonymously for advertising purposes which Apple allows. I am hoping that this app's language does not accurately reflect what is going on, a new developer mistake or perhaps borrowing old language from other apps?

Their policy states they capture this data whether you register or not, so based on that if you opened the app they have your details on their server.

The issue for me is that this was done without my knowledge, and therefore without my permission.

Aside from privacy and security concerns there's also the practical implications. If you don't have a connection to their server (it's busy, down, been discontinued or you simply have a bad signal) then you can't access the sounds or your songs.

• Always connected apps should not be encouraged in my opinion.

• @crony said:

some aspects, legal ones, might have been a bit "forgotten" or copy/pasted quickly.

Oh that's alright then.

• edited September 2016

New answer from dev team, as I understand, this is all a misunderstood and communication mistake, that's it.

@crony said:

some aspects, legal ones, might have been a bit "forgotten" or copy/pasted quickly.

@MonzoPro said:
    Oh that's alright then.

@MonzoPro no that's not, but it's not an evil corp from the dark web that want your devices id for sucking and clone your brain to rule the world as a satanist sect either ;)

Hi again,

Thanks for the email.

I understand your concern (and everybody on the forum) and we take
    this issue very seriously now.
    But first, let me explain about what is going on with the network
    nature of the app.

The app uses cloud storage to save user's song data, user profile etc.
    so that you can import all those info from other devices easily.
    This architecture is not meant to collect user's data but to provide
    the convenience to them.

Frum app basically is a web app wrapped by the iOS web view and using
    the sound engine of iOS, so if you don't have an internet connection
    in the first app launch, you cannot use the app at all.
    However if the network connection is available at the first launch, it
    uses the cache next time you launch the app even if you are offline.

Another thing to note is that you cannot save the song data if you are
    though as we use cloud storage to save those data.
    However, the song you currently working on is always saved in your
    device locally, so maybe it's a good idea to re-launch the app
    whenever you become online again, so that you can save it to the
    cloud.

Sorry if we make you worry about your data and its protection.
    We should have state our privacy policy at the first launch of the app
    as you mentioned.
    And this modification is now considered among the dev team.

The last of all, you can always opt-out from the Frum app by the e-mail.
    Also, you need to register on Apple's website to get a refund.

Thanks,

frum dev team

• @MonzoPro no that's not, but it's not an evil corp from the dark web that want your devices id for sucking and clone your brain either ;)

I didn't say they were. But regardless of their intentions, they've still harvested data from my device without my knowledge or permission, which I'm not comfortable with.

I only use music apps, maybe games and other types of app work this way as well. But I would expect to be told they're going to do this before I buy and install them, so I can make an informed decision on whether I want them to have access to data on my device.

• @MonzoPro I totally agree with you, I'm just saying it might just be a communication issue...(and seems it is)

• Thank you @crony for explaining nicely :'(
    We are so happy with it.

Yes (or NO, for collect grammer?), Frum dev team is NOT an evil company.
    If it is, I think they should make more Tinder-like something instead of underground musical application!!

But FRUM DEV team started thinking of how to make the privacy things with clarification.
    Thank you guys for the helpful comments.

P.S.
    @MonzoPro said:
    Oh that's alright then.

I laughed on this comment.
    I like this kind of talking which Japanese normally don't do.

• I got the same responses from them. The approach is off-putting to say the least.

• edited September 2016

Frum app basically is a web app wrapped by the iOS web view and using
    the sound engine of iOS, so if you don't have an internet connection
    in the first app launch, you cannot use the app at all.
    However if the network connection is available at the first launch, it
    uses the cache next time you launch the app even if you are offline.

Another thing to note is that you cannot save the song data if you are
    though as we use cloud storage to save those data.

@usk - you don't make this clear in your store description:

"Features : Generating BUG, Pad division, UNDO, REDO, Live edit, Save and load presets (factory/private)"

There's no mention of this being a web based app, and that we have to be online to save or access our files. I wouldn't have bought it if I had known this.

• I missed to see the important

@MonzoPro said:
    they've still harvested data from my device without my knowledge or permission, which I'm not comfortable with.

I only use music apps, maybe games and other types of app work this way as well. But I would expect to be told they're going to do this before I buy and install them, so I can make an informed decision on whether I want them to have access to data on my device.

I agree with you too.
    FRUM DEV TEAM is going to make it clear.
    For example, FRUM will ask about privacy things before start application.

and 1 more.

@MonzoPro said:

@usk - you don't make this clear in your store description:
    "Features : Generating BUG, Pad division, UNDO, REDO, Live edit, Save and load presets (factory/private)"

There's no mention of this being a web based app, and that we have to be online to save or access our files. I wouldn't have bought it if I had known this.

Yes, this is web-based.
    But if you start the application while it's online, after you can make even though it got offline.
    You can't save on offline but the save data is stocked on the memory so you will be able to save when it gets online.

Truely, we didn't expect the usage on the offline before knowing this forum and how many people really want AUDIOBUS.
    We just wanted to provide a cool gadget.
    But I can understand you guys want to play FRUM BASS on the host apps.

very helpful comments!

Thank you.

• If the app requires connecting to a server to both launch + save work and the servers only purpose data-wise is personal backup.. what exactly does the opt-out option consist of? What are we opting-out of and what then is the resulting functionality of Frum?

PS- I do believe that the data-fears are most likely a misunderstanding here rather than a scam and hope this clears up quick so we can use this lovely app without the distraction.

• I don't think I've ever seen an app fall from grace so quickly.

• Ok with other words, i see , i Need this app Not.
    To curious, i will Only make music.

• edited September 2016

@usk said:

I agree with you too.
    FRUM DEV TEAM is going to make it clear.
    For example, FRUM will ask about privacy things before start application.

I think an appropriate gesture would be to wipe the data you've already collected without permission, from your server.

@usk said:

Yes, this is web-based.
    But if you start the application while it's online, after you can make even though it got offline.
    You can't save on offline but the save data is stocked on the memory

That's state saving, not song saving. I wouldn't have access to anything I'd created before this.

@usk said:
    Truely, we didn't expect the usage on the offline before knowing this forum and how many people really want AUDIOBUS.
    We just wanted to provide a cool gadget.

Yeah I want Audiobus and other connectivity, but I bought this with the knowledge it wasn't supported so that's not the issue. The problem here is you've sold me an app that I can't use properly offline (connection's ropey to say the least around here), and you've harvested personal data from my device without permission.

It is a very cool design and makes crazy sounds I'd love to use in my tracks, and if it wasn't web-based and had the required connectivity I'd happily pay more for it. But it is, it doesn't and you've lost my trust with the privacy issues.

• Could not agree more @MonzoPro