Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

For Lovers of the Sampling Artform

Comments

• how they could leave Samplr out I will never know but... still a good read

• Great article, I have in the past owned a bunch of Mpc's, a few ensoniqs (asr-x, ep16+), a bunch of Akai's (s20, s1000, s900, s1100).
    They are all magical machines, and the one I miss most is the ep16+.. but samplr is just something else, for me it was a revelation

• I really hope it gets updated :(

• the dev says he is, I hope it's by christmas

• love sampling

• edited December 2016

Im just cutting all the half finished tracks that went nowhere into loops to feed it into sector.
    So it's kind of remixing yourself.
    WOW!
    I just went to techno heaven.

• @lala said:
    Im just cutting all the half finished tracks that went nowhere into loops to feed it into sector.
    So it's kind of remixing yourself.
    WOW!
    I just went to techno heaven.

:)

• edited December 2016

Im cutting stuff down into 32 step loops
    Then I rearrange every step with sectors sequencer
    Nice :smiley:
    A little warping on top
    Then switch between patterns

Ho Ho Ho

• to celebrate the release of reslice

• @kobamoto said:
    love sampling

I'm shocked how great Diva sounds in that video.. Amazing!! I might have to jump on that sometime

• i think everything that dev touches sounds great, lil heavy on the cpu but...

• yeah, agreed on Diva. And still we wait for something like Simpler on iOS.

• lost a vital organ yesterday :'(

• found my future wife

• Sampling can be art, and like all genres if entertainment & technology it can be shit.

These cats making new music with found sound, sculpting natural sound, happy accidents and technology together are doing true art. A guy who learns the basics of a sampler, lifts beats off records or sample/groove compilations with zero editing, nuance or individuality isn't doing great "art" in my opinion, but to them & those who may dig their efforts will see it as art. If splitting hairs I'd say they at least have some artistic intent.

I say all this because in my hometown Vegas in the early '90's onwards a lot of musicians (including myself at times) looked at sampling, then AutoTune and then DJ as 'rock star' as the nadir of creativity. But at 19 it's easy to get pissy & indignant, and it wasn't until I got a Yamaha SU-10 sampler in '95 at 21 that I saw "hey, this IS musical, this does have merit. Beck, Fatboy Slim, DaftPunk, etc then showed me it could be commercial & highly artistically valid.

Thanks for all the posts in this older thread, it just hit that note in me to wonk on I guess, but goddamn, to me it's so important that an artist/musician see that their way isn't the only way, and it inspired me seeing Yosi and some of the others in their element.

• @JRSIV said:
    Sampling can be art, and like all genres if entertainment & technology it can be shit.

These cats making new music with found sound, sculpting natural sound, happy accidents and technology together are doing true art. A guy who learns the basics of a sampler, lifts beats off records or sample/groove compilations with zero editing, nuance or individuality isn't doing great "art" in my opinion, but to them & those who may dig their efforts will see it as art. If splitting hairs I'd say they at least have some artistic intent.

I say all this because in my hometown Vegas in the early '90's onwards a lot of musicians (including myself at times) looked at sampling, then AutoTune and then DJ as 'rock star' as the nadir of creativity. But at 19 it's easy to get pissy & indignant, and it wasn't until I got a Yamaha SU-10 sampler in '95 at 21 that I saw "hey, this IS musical, this does have merit. Beck, Fatboy Slim, DaftPunk, etc then showed me it could be commercial & highly artistically valid.

Thanks for all the posts in this older thread, it just hit that note in me to wonk on I guess, but goddamn, to me it's so important that an artist/musician see that their way isn't the only way, and it inspired me seeing Yosi and some of the others in their element.

SU10 was first sampler I owned also, loved that ribbon controller, start of touch control with samples that has come to fruition in apps like samplr. Very portable too

• >

SU10 was first sampler I owned also, loved that ribbon controller, start of touch control with samples that has come to fruition in apps like samplr. Very portable too

That's awesome Stuart. A lot of people I've talked with over the years about sampling had never heard of the SU-10 but I loved that thing. Still have mine, as you said iOS sampling apps are my go to's now but man I dug that unit in the late '90's & early 2000's to fly in stuff and experiment on. The touch strip, playing with sample quality to get speed effects...it was stout for the under a hundred bucks price point.

• @JRSIV I hear you about the thin line between art and trash. But I hear these same chord progressions on the same guitars backed by the same beats on the radio, and I ask: is that really art or just slightly filtered imitation?

Mash-up artists like Girl Talk are the Andy Warhols of our generation--taking the fabric of pop culture and both tickling the listener's thirst for the familiar and subverting it by reframing the context.

• I humbly beg to differ... Girl Talk are not any Andy Warhols, and neither is anybody using the meaningless term 'mash-ups'. you have to go so much further back and plot a chart through from there.. this from Jon Appleton I would regard as vaguely 'warholean' .. well, it's sampling ( from when it took a lot of effort to do ) AND it's re-presenting an advert.. hence its the nearest thing I can think of that fits that Crown..

also check James Tenneys version of Blue Suede Shoes. and those are just early digital pioneers.. the analogue history goes much further back and any discussion of sampling should acknowledge such..
    sorry, no offence meant to anybody, but this thread and it's vague scratching of the surface is beginning give me the 'twitches'
    lets go deeper ladies!! :)

• p.s. SU10 ... along with casio SK-1 in its own day..... absolute proletarian Game Changers.
    an ipad with Samplr or maybe Caustic ( pick yr fave app and insert here ) could be seen as this decades equivalent? it's all been a very exciting ride... and it's not over yet..
    hurrah for Plunderphoniceers everywhere!

• I know how you feel, I feel any discussion about the love of food should mention asparagus but it seldom happens :(

• edited March 2017

@kobamoto said:
    I know how you feel, I feel any discussion about the love of food should mention asparagus but it seldom happens :(

I love asparagus. But I don't fool myself into believing that there are "purity" laws preventing the enjoyment of funnel cakes either.

• Purity... what's that?....... and what's a funnel cake?

• edited March 2017