Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

3.5mm IS DEAD. Betting it all on ligtning, (w/adapter)

And I just bought some ATH-MX50x's!

Comments

• I don't even mean this sarcastically: I'm a big fan of Apple products and really hope that this move doesn't prove to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

If I had to bet, I'd probably still bet on Apple pulling it off - they've been doubted HARD numerous times (the iPhone and especially the iPad being high profile examples of doomed-to-fail ideas from Apple).

But think if it were the other way. What if there had been 10 years of smartphones, which, for some imagined technological reason, none of them had a 3.5mm headphone jack (not enough space, electronic interference/feedback, too much power draw, etc.). And then one company (Apple, Samsung, whatever) announces in 2016 that they are the going to be the first company you could plug your headphones directly into without external adapters, etc. Even in 2016 with Bluetooth rapidly gaining steam (and improving with newer versions), wouldn't that 3.5mm jack be a MAJOR selling point for said phone?

This just flies in the face of a decades-long audio standard that isn't particularly costly or bulky to accommodate, and is used by even the most discerning audiophiles. Even if it poses no "real" problems in using my iDevice, which is very much up for debate, it's just going piss me off as a consumer that I need this stupid white iDongle connected to my headphones to do what I just do automatically on pretty much every other audio device since I was born. Stuff like this doesn't kill companies by itself, but it does chip away - I feel like Sony could've had a much better position in the market if they didn't insist on crap like the DRM wars around 2005, or making their own proprietary storage media (Duo Stick) when everyone else was using SD cards.

• Piss people off, yes. But, let's not forget, Apple just works, only now with extra much needed cable.

• Who knows maybe the small 'adapter' contains a dac that beats the crap out of the old integradet 3,5mm...

• Going try not to jump into this too much, but all tech to one side, my marketing head says don't make a major change unless you a) have to by law or b) can offer something even better, cooler, faster, cheaper to the the people you're trying to persuade (your customers).

They fail this here.

There are going to be a large number of people who have been loyal iPhone buyers who will say that their 6 (or whatever) will be the last one they buy.

There are going to be a large number of people who've been thinking about that Samsung (or whatever) and this will be the cognitive bias they need to pull the trigger when it next comes time to buy a phone.

In other news, unless the received wisdom develops over the next 12 months that the 7 is demonstrably better than all that's gone before, there will be a thriving retro market in 6s :)

• Can't run Gadget or any other apps on Samsung so it's not even an option :D

It's a phone and the improvments to the camera 'sell' it to me...

• @Samu said:
    Can't run Gadget or any other apps on Samsung so it's not even an option :D

It's a phone and the improvments to the camera 'sell' it to me...

They're remarkable.

My old boss was PM for the QuickTake digital camera. Apple is serious about photography. This current round of improvements is striking, with regards to low light, zoom, and software processing. If I could only get over the size of the plus. I'm just not a "compensator" if you know what I mean.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    If I could only get over the size of the plus. I'm just not a "compensator" if you know what I mean.

I know, I'm skeptical too since the dual camera has smaller aperture than the single lens meaning the 4.7" should theoretically be better at low-light..(Bigger pixels and larger aperture compared to the Plus).

I'm also happy the back camera focal lenght is wider than before (I love to shoot 28mm on fullframe, 24 is too wide for me and 35 too narrow).

I wuild most likely use it as a fieldrecorder so the 5.5 makes no sense apart from battery life but i can always get an extra powerbank...

4.7" pianoblack 128GB would be nice :)

• Good luck getting a CCK / 3.5mm-to-lighting combo Jack so you can run audio out AND use a USB MIDI controller.

Pathetic. Short-sighted. It's a big FU to iOS musicians.

• @Icepulse said:
    Good luck getting a CCK / 3.5mm-to-lighting combo Jack so you can run audio out AND use a USB MIDI controller.

You probably described .00000001% or less of the market though. When I need both I will just use a Duo Capture... the stuff out of that jack sounds brutal anyway.

• I use a small hub when doing music on my desk.
    CCK with power to a hub with iRig Keys, iRig Pads, Behringer UCA-202(with headphones).

I really do feel we'll se a lot of small USB DACs that work fine with the non powered cck and don't add too much bulk.

• @Icepulse said:

It is a FU to musicians indeed. But I don't think it's pathetic or short sighted—no one else gives a shit. At least not relative to the size of the iPhone market.

@StormJH1 said:
    I don't even mean this sarcastically: I'm a big fan of Apple products and really hope that this move doesn't prove to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

If I had to bet, I'd probably still bet on Apple pulling it off - they've been doubted HARD numerous times (the iPhone and especially the iPad being high profile examples of doomed-to-fail ideas from Apple).

But think if it were the other way. What if there had been 10 years of smartphones, which, for some imagined technological reason, none of them had a 3.5mm headphone jack (not enough space, electronic interference/feedback, too much power draw, etc.). And then one company (Apple, Samsung, whatever) announces in 2016 that they are the going to be the first company you could plug your headphones directly into without external adapters, etc. Even in 2016 with Bluetooth rapidly gaining steam (and improving with newer versions), wouldn't that 3.5mm jack be a MAJOR selling point for said phone?

I know it was 10 years ago when apple did pretty much that. All of the flip phones had those 2.5" jacks that blew socks.

This just flies in the face of a decades-long audio standard that isn't particularly costly or bulky to accommodate, and is used by even the most discerning audiophiles. Even if it poses no "real" problems in using my iDevice, which is very much up for debate, it's just going piss me off as a consumer that I need this stupid white iDongle connected to my headphones to do what I just do automatically on pretty much every other audio device since I was born.

Totally agree. The shitty part is the total lack of options (for music makers there's pretty much only iOS) and there will come a time in a couple of years where we wont be able to upgrade older phones. I'd like the fancy new camera and all but if my 6 dies/breaks, I'm getting another 6 for as long as I can.

• I understand that the best result are always via a dedicated external audio device, but the jack was always there in a pinch when something failed.

• @Samu said:
    I use a small hub when doing music on my desk.
    CCK with power to a hub with iRig Keys, iRig Pads, Behringer UCA-202(with headphones).

I really do feel we'll se a lot of small USB DACs that work fine with the non powered cck and don't add too much bulk.

Now that I can Link two iPads via my 4s I am thinking of getting another UCA-202 for recording one to other in Blocs Wav while on the road. :)

• edited September 2016

When the iPhone is a flexible, 1cm thick transparent card, then I'll respect the decision. Until then, I'm not seeing any advantage besides the one on Apple's bottom line, for selling new dongles and BT buds.

• @Samu said:

Charging ?

• @DeVlaeminck said:

@Samu said:

Charging ?

Yes the CCK3 can chardge the iOS device at the same time as it powers the hub.

• CCK3 it is then.

• @Samu said:
    I use a small X hub when doing music on my desk.

Question's would be how small is small, how much power will it consume, sample rate spec, if third party will it get wrecked in an iOS update.

• I've been moving away from iOS music anyway, at least in terms of how it integrates into my workflow. At this point, I only use it to feed my OP-1 From the headphone jack, anyway.

• I was off riding my bike, swimming, and shooting some baskets at the neighborhood court. Haven't even read or seen anything about the announcements. Was more interested in whether they'd announce new Macbook Pros, or maybe a new iPad.

Was initially put off by the reports the headphone jack would disappear, then realized I rarely use wired headphones with my iphone anyway. Been using BT buds for awhile now, but I always have to remember to bring a wired backup because the battery doesn't last that long. Looks like the new Apple ones will only last about as long as my cheap ones.

I'll adapt for sure, but I bet this turns out to be a misstep. And, I hope they don't kill the 3.5 on the ipads too, but something tells me they will.

One more dongle to keep track of. And when it fails while traveling, good luck easily finding a replacement on the road.

Guess my next iPhone will be an iPhone 6s or SE. :)

• "At Apple we believe in the future."

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Going try not to jump into this too much, but all tech to one side, my marketing head says don't make a major change unless you a) have to by law or b) can offer something even better, cooler, faster, cheaper to the the people you're trying to persuade (your customers).

They fail this here.

There are going to be a large number of people who have been loyal iPhone buyers who will say that their 6 (or whatever) will be the last one they buy.

There are going to be a large number of people who've been thinking about that Samsung (or whatever) and this will be the cognitive bias they need to pull the trigger when it next comes time to buy a phone.

In other news, unless the received wisdom develops over the next 12 months that the 7 is demonstrably better than all that's gone before, there will be a thriving retro market in 6s :)

This is unless Samsung and the rest of the pack jump on the jackless wagon in the name of thinness, coolness or whatever other desirable nonsense there can be had.

• @Icepulse said:
    I've been moving away from iOS music anyway, at least in terms of how it integrates into my workflow. At this point, I only use it to feed my OP-1 From the headphone jack, anyway.

I bow to your OP-1

• @AudioGus said:

@Icepulse said:
    I've been moving away from iOS music anyway, at least in terms of how it integrates into my workflow. At this point, I only use it to feed my OP-1 From the headphone jack, anyway.

I bow to your OP-1

Here's one totally OP-1. I love it so.

• Soon they'll be so thin they'll need to be flexible, then Johnny will get to make music and wear his foil hat B)

• How are we doing on the latency issues with Android? Are there any models getting close to usable for music?

• Remember that, for now at least, it is just the phone, and it was done because of competition for tight space. The iPad is what most of us use for music. There is more space inside the iPad. They may not even need to eliminate the jack on the iPad. Doesn't mean they won't. I imagine they probably will just for consistency. But for now the iPad remains unaffected by this change.

• Less (opportunities and convinience)
    is more (customers annoyed and $ for adaptors).
    Happy trails.

• In other news. Sony is still using cables to connect it's PS4 Pro to a TVs set! :p

• @Icepulse said:

@AudioGus said:

@Icepulse said:

I bow to your OP-1

Here's one totally OP-1. I love it so.

nice! Love the track!