Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using Behringer U-phoria UMC204HD interface with iPad?

13»

Comments

• @Ben said:

@dickiefunk said:
    Just found this thread. I’ve just picked up a Behringer UMC404HD today. As some of you are aware the UMC404HD is mains powered and comes with its own mains power supply. I have the USB2 Apple Camera Kit and am getting the “UMC404HD 192k. This accessory requires to much power“ message. Apples USB3 Camera Kit allows you to plug both iPad and UMC404HD into the mains.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

If I have both my iPad and UMC404HD plugged into the mains will this solve the power issue!? I really don’t want to have to go down the route of buying a powered USB hub as well.

That combination worked without issue for me. (Air2)

Great! That’s good to know.

• I bought the USB3 Apple Camera Kit yesterday and everything is working perfectly now :)

• Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I was wondering if anyone has used this with the Yousician app? It's not listed as a supported interface for iPad but I get to much noise with the irig 2.

Id be using the 404HD with an iPad air 2

• Hi guys,

I’m having issues with my UMC404HD again! I had it working great last year with the Apple USB3 camera kit but I’m now getting the “this accessory requires too much power” message again!?
    I have the UMC404HD connected to the mains with by its power adapter. I then have it plugged into the USB3 camera kit via USB cable and then the USB3 camera kit is plugged both into the mains and iPad?

Any ideas why this has now stopped working?

• I had it working with a powered usb 2 hub instead of powering the umc404. This way you can also hook up some usb midi keys.
    Maybe turning on the phantom power makes it draw to much power?

• The phantom power is turned off. Bizarrely all was working fine last year ? I was running 4x LDC’s with phantom power on and midi controller connected .

• edited January 2021

Soo I'm thinking about getting this interfae. What I don't really understand yet is how the effects inserts work. From some video reviews it seems you can add an FX loop with a stereo cable. But where are these effects inserted? Are they visible in iOS as another input/output? Does the signal just go through preamp, then FX loop then is digitalized?

So the purpose lies in using fx with a condensor mic?

• This video tells you how to use an insert:

I haven't tried it. But AFAIK you can add two loops, one for each input. Yes, they are after the preamp. There are only two inputs to the ipad visible in audiobus, so I think they must be just added to the signal from the preamps. I am planning to use these as two additional line-ins in the future (you need an insert cable, or you can try to insert the 1/4" jacks in about 75% to touch the return part as suggested in the comments to the video), but the lack of ability to mix will make this of limited use.

• edited January 2021

but... if you use it as a 2nd input, wouldn't the front input be muted because it's sent into the loop as soon as something is plugged into the insert? I use the 20€ behringer mono mixer for this purpose. or, for 5 bucks more, the moukey stereo mixer, which has the added advantage of also being usb powered. Found both to be noise free enough for my purposes and they give you volume control over each additional instrument. So I can merge my volcas into one input :)

(an insert cable is just a stereo splitter cable, i guess. luckily i've amassed all kinds of splitters and adapters by now :D)

Yeah I'd really have wished those were usable as a hardware-fx loop for softsynths...but you're right, they don't show up as seperate outputs so I guess they're just between preamp and a/d. But well, with 2 ins/outs you can at least make a loop from back to front...

Anyway, I really like this thing so far, well worth its money I'd say.)

• i thought the insert would run in parallel to the path through the preamp, but i think what you are saying (that it preempts the path through the preamp) is more likely to be true, will be interesting to see.

yes, i agree, nice functionality for the price, i'm also happy with it so far.

• If it were parallel to the dry line, wouldn't you need a mix knob though or it would be pretty useless... Ofc you could just take a splitter and make a parallel 2nd effects loop ;)

• @dobbs, you are right, there will be no signal. As soon as you plug in something you have stopped the connection from the preamp to the output, the signal from the preamp goes to the insert.

The thinking is that the insert is either 100% wet, or the insert can put out both dry and wet mixed.

This video on the UMC404HD clearly states this:

So it is still possible to use this for an additional stereo line in, but you need to combine the line-in with the insert send (which you are doing on the front of the unit, but I have a mic there).

• edited January 2021

ohh, so you want to slip in an extra source by just mixing it with the insert output, so you're able to use the mic preamp + another source?

• That was my idea, it's a little bit uglier than I thought, but still possible. Nice to have the flexibility anyway.

• Wishful thinking here:
    I have a reverb pedal in insert 1 and, as my insert cables is v.short, it's sitting on top of the interface. I already have a midi controller footswitch on the floor so it would be lovely if I could leave the reverb on and use my midi footswitch to send a midi CC/PC message to the interface to to activate/deactivate the insert. Anyone know if that is possible (controlling the interface via MIDI)? Thanks!

• I don't think so, don't recall seeing anything about controlling the interface with MIDI? But haven't looked at anything since that video I linked three posts above (in January 2021), so I might be wrong, that would be cool.

@samkennedy01 said:
    Wishful thinking here:
    I have a reverb pedal in insert 1 and, as my insert cables is v.short, it's sitting on top of the interface. I already have a midi controller footswitch on the floor so it would be lovely if I could leave the reverb on and use my midi footswitch to send a midi CC/PC message to the interface to to activate/deactivate the insert. Anyone know if that is possible (controlling the interface via MIDI)? Thanks!