Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone using Behringer U-phoria UMC204HD interface with iPad?

Comments

• @BiancaNeve said:

@gleandibson said:
    Is there any benefit to using the USB 3.0 lightning adapters?

Yes, you can charge your iPad at same time and use some devices that would otherwise need a powered hub

But, would a USB 2 adapter do the same for $20 less if you don't have any USB 3 devices?

• This looks like the only 404HD thread so time for a bump...
    Similar to the other user, I'm experiencing issues device drawing too much power. I have a 12.9" iPad Pro. This is the cck I'm using http://store.apple.com/us/go/product/MD821AM/A?mnid=sjFcjoDsP-dt_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_52243316890_&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid--product-MD821AM/A&mtid=1870765e38482&muid=ae376556-32ae-4320-b42b-7f39ff1f4c33&aosid=p238.
    Is it likely I need the USB 3 cck which has the ability to charge the iPad simultaneously?

• Are you using a powered USB hub?

• @noisefan said:
    Are you using a powered USB hub?

Negative, I thought the cck I had would work. Would a USB 3 cck function as a powered hub to, or would I need a powered hub regardless?
    Also, how would a hub work into the mix from interface > cck > iPad?

• It seems you need to have a powered USB hub even if you have the UMC404 plugged into wall power. I don't have the interface but it seems ideal for me and I've done quite a bit of research. Hopefully that gets you working!

• Interface > powered hub > Apple CCK > iPad.

• @noisefan said:
    Interface > powered hub > Apple CCK > iPad.

Great, I'll look into this. I was pretty disappointed for it not to work the way I thought I would, but circling back on the research I did ahead of time, it's great to see there should be a way to get it to work

• Please post if you have any other issues or if things are working fine once you get all the parts together. I am really curious about this interface.

For my keyboards and knob/fader controllers I use a USB hub powered by a separate USB battery so I'm not connected to any wall power. Freedom!

• @noisefan said:
    Please post if you have any other issues or if things are working fine once you get all the parts together. I am really curious about this interface.

For my keyboards and knob/fader controllers I use a USB hub powered by a separate USB battery so I'm not connected to any wall power. Freedom!

So the USB hub acts as a communication point between your iOS device and hardware correct?
    Just curious, which one do you use?

• @noisefan said:

I have the UMC 404 working this way just fine. Many jams at home and one gig, all with no problems.

• @Hmtx said:

@noisefan said:

I have the UMC 404 working this way just fine. Many jams at home and one gig, all with no problems.

Which hub do you use, do you recommend it or have another suggestion?

• Any functional powered USB 2 hub should work. I would just recommend something with a detachable power supply, so you can swap it for a USB adapter/ battery setup and go mobile with it. (If that's something you might want to do)

• @gleandibson said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@gleandibson said:
    Is there any benefit to using the USB 3.0 lightning adapters?

Yes, you can charge your iPad at same time and use some devices that would otherwise need a powered hub

But, would a USB 2 adapter do the same for $20 less if you don't have any USB 3 devices?

The usb3 cck is the one that allows charging, it runs as usb2 on devices that don't do usb3. The usb2 cck definitely works (that's what I have) but you wont be able to charge and then you'd also need a hub to avoid a device power message.

• Yep. I bought a 404 too.
    Having to use the USB hub is almost certain.

When I read the title of this thread I already guessed what the problem might be..

It is a path well-trodden! and not a particularly joyous one!

One thing which bugs me about the official Apple CCKs is... How do u know you're buying a USB3 one? Vague apple branding doesn't help in this situation!

• USB3 CCK adds the lightning port for charging while the USB2 CCK is just a USB port. But you knew that right? Normally I'd agree that Apple's unnecessarily consistent naming system is stupid but in this case the products are easy to distinguish.

So the UMC404HD (and other U-Phoria) has the Apple volume switch issue which isn't really a problem just need to be aware. But does the app switching noise or any other real problem still exist? Four ins and outs easy to use?

• No I didn't really know that. -I haven't bought one yet. So I've not actually even tried my 404 yet. Any chance you could link us to the usb3 product?

• @SkillipEvolver said:
    No I didn't really know that. -I haven't bought one yet. So I've not actually even tried my 404 yet. Any chance you could link us to the usb3 product?

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter this I believe

• @noisefan said:
    Please post if you have any other issues or if things are working fine once you get all the parts together. I am really curious about this interface.

Picked this up, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-4-port-usb-3-0-hub-black/5631038.p?skuId=5631038&extStoreId=&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=b334d80d-3025-4b96-a57c-44baaee176ed&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=pg199014&ksdevice=t&lsft=ref:212,loc:2

Took me forever to realize the cck plugs into the port next to the power supply on the back, but finally got it working and all is good

• How's it working out for you? How u using this setup?

• edited December 2017

Hey all! I received a Behringer UMC204HD for Xmas. I did some light research on it here and elsewhere, and for the price, it looked like it had a good shot of covering all the features I needed for a home recording setup. This is the one I have:

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--mxUry3VJ--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1473870304/sk8ozf8ziz0elg8uyo4n.jpg

My question is about the Camera Connection Kit. I have an Apple CCK2 and a small USB 2.0 powered hub, so I'm pretty sure I could get it to work similar to a setup described by @Hmtx above.

But I bought one of those knock-off CCK3's that allow you to charge, which I wouldn't have done had I read further and seen all the fine AudioBus Forum members advising only to buy first-party Apple products for compatibility reasons. Actually, my imitation CCK3 mostly works - the only thing it doesn't do so far is charge my 12.9" iPadPro. So it could be a problem limited to USB 3.0 charging with that 29W wall adapter. But it would not supply power for the UMC204HD and/or charge the iPad Pro. (Actually, as I type this, I wonder if I should try using the 12W USB 2.0 charger that shipped with the iPad. Maybe that would work...)

QUESTION: If I had a functioning Apple CCK3, would that supply the power to run the Behringer UMC204HD interface? Or do you need a powered hub to run the interface no matter what you do? I think the answer is "no" - it probably draws more than the iPad can supply, and I can't tell if the CCK3 increases the power output by the USB output while also charging the iPad. Thanks for the help!

• If you want your class-compliant audio/midi interface to work and charge the iPad at the same time, before spending hours for troubleshooting, make sure you can tick the following check marks:

• You're using an iDevice with iOS 9.0 or above. iOS 8 or lower are NOT supported.
    • The original Apple USB3 to Lightning adapter connected to the iDevice
    • The Lightning charger connected to the USB3 adapter and powered
    • The USB audio interface connected to the adapter's USB3 port.

I prefer using Audio Evolution Mobile for testing audio interfaces, the dev has a lot of experience with USB devices, the app is free (for up to three audio tracks) and you can record both audio and MIDI.

• @rs2000 said:
    If you want your class-compliant audio/midi interface to work and charge the iPad at the same time, before spending hours for troubleshooting, make sure you can tick the following check marks:

• You're using an iDevice with iOS 9.0 or above. iOS 8 or lower are NOT supported.
    • The original Apple USB3 to Lightning adapter connected to the iDevice
    • The Lightning charger connected to the USB3 adapter and powered
    • The USB audio interface connected to the adapter's USB3 port.

I prefer using Audio Evolution Mobile for testing audio interfaces, the dev has a lot of experience with USB devices, the app is free (for up to three audio tracks) and you can record both audio and MIDI.

Thanks, but I'm on iOS 11(newest update), and yes I plugged everything in. I also have have several DAW's, but I was just trying a simple test into Audioshare and it wasn't working. There is a power light on the UMC204HD, it was flashing intermittently, which I thought suggested insufficient power.

Not all class compliant USB devices are the same - some simply draw too much power to be used off an iPad (but could work with a powered hub). My question was more specific to this Behringer unit and whether it still needed a powered hub if you used the CCK3 with power supplied. I guess it's not the end of the world if you do need to use a hub with it.

• just came across this post. had a 404 for a few weeks. bought for 4 inputs into cubase. hadnt even thought about using iot with the ipad.
    bit late now but tomorrow will will try setting it up with cck

• @StormJH1 said:
    QUESTION: If I had a functioning Apple CCK3, would that supply the power to run the Behringer UMC204HD interface? Or do you need a powered hub to run the interface no matter what you do? I think the answer is "no" - it probably draws more than the iPad can supply, and I can't tell if the CCK3 increases the power output by the USB output while also charging the iPad. Thanks for the help!

Just thought I’d chime in with an answer. :smile:

I have the same Behringer interface and it works flawlessly with an Apple USB 3.0 CCK and powered USB hub for my 12.9 iPad Pro. You do need a powered hub. This is the one I have:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01FO2QS0O

It has an “out” USB cable that you plug into the CCK. The port on the opposite end says “charging” and I run a lightning cable from there to the CCK lightning port. The Behringer goes into one of the ports on top of the hub. One nice thing about the hub is that is has little toggle buttons next to the ports on top so you can power that port on or off, which is a handy way to turn off the Behringer interface without unplugging it (and the charging port stays on for the iPad).

• I believe the CCK3 does not provide any extra power to the USB port, so the behringer would still require more power and a powered USB hub would be needed.

This is generally true for all audio interfaces on iOS unless they have their own batteries or external power source. So the 204HD would definitely need the powered hub

• @obijohn & @Hmtx - You are both correct. Thanks for the response and assistance. This is my first "real" interface of any kind I've used, not counting the Behringer UCA202, which actually is a terrific dongle that does a great job converting raw audio to digital, and probably will still get use in a grab-and-go situation in the future. So I hadn't tried to power a desktop box like this one (or the Focusrite/Steinberg/etc. ones), and it makes sense that you'd need a powered hub.

Fortunately, I already had a Pluggable brand one - it's only USB 2.0, but I think that's somewhat irrelevant in terms of supplying power and transmitting data here. In fact, as far as I know, the only thing USB 3.0 really does on iOS devices right now is allow faster charge transfer on the few devices that support it.

I just wired everything up, and it did work! I'll stick with my imposter CCK3 for now - it seems to work so long as you use the 12W USB 2.0 charger just to maintain charge while playing, which is perfectly fine. Pretty cool to have 1/4" instrument cable input, XLR input, DIN MIDI In/Out and digital conversion handled all in one box - I could do most of this previously, but it would require a series of different cables and smaller conversion boxes that had to be switched out.

• @StormJH1 said:
    Thanks, but I'm on iOS 11(newest update), and yes I plugged everything in. I also have have several DAW's, but I was just trying a simple test into Audioshare and it wasn't working. There is a power light on the UMC204HD, it was flashing intermittently, which I thought suggested insufficient power.

Not all class compliant USB devices are the same - some simply draw too much power to be used off an iPad (but could work with a powered hub). My question was more specific to this Behringer unit and whether it still needed a powered hub if you used the CCK3 with power supplied. I guess it's not the end of the world if you do need to use a hub with it.

Good to know, thanks. With a 1000mA current spec for the 404, it's no surprise that iOS complains, but with your 204, does this happen too when your iDevice is fully charged? Being USB-power only, the 204 shouldn't draw more than 500mA.
    Also, the Lightning connector for ext. power on the USB3 CCK might need some turning/re-inserting.
    I'm just curious, that's why I'm asking. By now I either had interfaces that either ran off the USB3 CCK well, or needed their own power supply anyway (like the Zoom UAC-8). I once had an eye on the Behringers too because they offer a lot for the money.

• @rs2000 said:

@StormJH1 said:

Good to know, thanks. With a 1000mA current spec for the 404, it's no surprise that iOS complains, but with your 204, does this happen too when your iDevice is fully charged? Being USB-power only, the 204 shouldn't draw more than 500mA.
    Also, the Lightning connector for ext. power on the USB3 CCK might need some turning/re-inserting.
    I'm just curious, that's why I'm asking. By now I either had interfaces that either ran off the USB3 CCK well, or needed their own power supply anyway (like the Zoom UAC-8). I once had an eye on the Behringers too because they offer a lot for the money.

I thought the UMC204HD actually drew more like 100mA - 200mA, but I don't know. Anyway, I'm just going to use the powered hub.

I would need to use it in more depth, but it seems pretty good so far. There actually are some good interfaces at this price point from more-"reputable" companies, but I think there was a specific reason I decided on trying this one some time back. It does have the list of features I was after. I think it's been mentioned that the instrument inputs (which I would use for guitar) are a bit low on the levels, but I'd be using a preamp pedal and cab sim in front of it, so I have to imagine I can get it to work.

• Just found this thread. I’ve just picked up a Behringer UMC404HD today. As some of you are aware the UMC404HD is mains powered and comes with its own mains power supply. I have the USB2 Apple Camera Kit and am getting the “UMC404HD 192k. This accessory requires to much power“ message. Apples USB3 Camera Kit allows you to plug both iPad and UMC404HD into the mains.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

If I have both my iPad and UMC404HD plugged into the mains will this solve the power issue!? I really don’t want to have to go down the route of buying a powered USB hub as well.

• @dickiefunk said:
    Just found this thread. I’ve just picked up a Behringer UMC404HD today. As some of you are aware the UMC404HD is mains powered and comes with its own mains power supply. I have the USB2 Apple Camera Kit and am getting the “UMC404HD 192k. This accessory requires to much power“ message. Apples USB3 Camera Kit allows you to plug both iPad and UMC404HD into the mains.

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/MK0W2ZM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

If I have both my iPad and UMC404HD plugged into the mains will this solve the power issue!? I really don’t want to have to go down the route of buying a powered USB hub as well.

That combination worked without issue for me. (Air2)