Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song of the Month Club - September 2016

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. Instrumentals are fine, but songs with vocals are even better. A bad vocal is better than no vocal, so if you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material.

Comments

• Did this one (& it's a shorter this time boys. lol) with lovely Auntie Vanessa. Done it on a spur of the moment....... Hope you enjoy it. Had to use a headphone as a Mic thru the mixer(bloody Mic broke).....Hope you enjoy it.

• @studs1966 said:
    Did this one (& it's a shorter this time boys. lol) with lovely Auntie Vanessa. Done it on a spur of the moment....... Hope you enjoy it. Had to use a headphone as a Mic thru the mixer(bloody Mic broke).....Hope you enjoy it.

Nice, nice synthy rhythmic stuff going on - like the dubby bass and the vocals are lovely. I'd push the bass up a bit, maybe EQ the bottom end a bit, and make the vocals a lot higher in the mix. Very nice though, I like this - got a haunting quality about it.

• edited September 2016

Here's my usual clatter. A lot of the rhythmic weirdness is provided by Seekbeats, probably a bit of Patterning as well, and I've also tried a bit of Phonem in there. I'm guessing Moog 15 is providing the synthy bits.

A couple of jams all played and recorded live through Aum, with a bit of Frekvens FX, then rubbed together in Auria.

• @studs1966 Dude! I thoroughly enjoyed that! I loved all of the sounds you used and the beat.The singer is amazing!! She's actually your auntie?? Mix wise it was really good,but I may bring Aunty up a little as I can hear her fine,but I can't really tell what she's saying?

You have some lovely textures in this,some lovely little riffs that excite my ears that all play well together and the way you build at the start and pull it back at the end is cool.Now Like I said the music is awesome and has a great energy,but I'd have liked to see you strip it back a bit in places to really create some cool dynamics.I know you take the bass out at 1.55 & that's a cool trick but I'd like more! >:) Just a pad and that vocal for a few seconds or something and then WHAM! (no not Club Tropicana! :D )

Really impressive stuff mate!
    Leo B)

• Hey guys,

Apologies to anyone who's track I missed last month.August was a bit crazy in our house this year.Il get you all this time though! o:)

So here's a little something for all you "truckers" out there!! :D
    This will not be everyone's cup of doughnuts but I appreciate the listen and any comments you provide. :)

I woke up one night early August to this bloody bright full moon shining on my face,which was in equal parts awesome and bloody annoying!! It had managed to fit it's whole self into the one tiny gap my wife had left in the curtains!! Anyway I couldn't get back to sleep,but it did give me the line & the idea of switching the whole "I'm so over the moon!" So at least some good came of it. :p The song wrote itself pretty quickly after that.I used chordbot to sketch the progression & originally just stuck with the apps piano and my vocal.Since then,someone from another forum (Dave...we all know Dave right?!!:) ) kindly wrote and played real piano and bass for me,which was really cool! Mixed in Auria & audiomastering. I really pushed myself on my range on this one.I hope you like it.
    Cheers Leo B)

• @LostBoy85 Somewhere in that place where the Epic meets the Anthem. Bravura vocal and catnip for the fairer sex (who seem to love the dream of comforting a broken boy etc). Can easily imagine this as theme for a movie.

• @MonzoPro said:

Here's my usual clatter. A lot of the rhythmic weirdness is provided by Seekbeats, probably a bit of Patterning as well, and I've also tried a bit of Phonem in there. I'm guessing Moog 15 is providing the synthy bits.

A couple of jams all played and recorded live through Aum, with a bit of Frekvens FX, then rubbed together in Auria.

Something dangerous in a commonly dangerous place. The sound from upstairs when there are a bunch of different televisions tuned off-station downstairs. Better not go. Fairly exact replica of what I felt buying drugs was like in Wandsworth a thousand years ago (without the seagulls).

• @LostBoy85

Credit where credit is due, this is very well done. I like how the bass follows as a counter-melody of sorts (or at least it sounds like that to me) Queen used to do that with their early stuff. Pretty dashed good vocal throughout.

For once, I have only positive things to say !

• @LostBoy85 said:
    @studs1966 Dude! I thoroughly enjoyed that! I loved all of the sounds you used and the beat.The singer is amazing!! She's actually your auntie?? Mix wise it was really good,but I may bring Aunty up a little as I can hear her fine,but I can't really tell what she's saying?

You have some lovely textures in this,some lovely little riffs that excite my ears that all play well together and the way you build at the start and pull it back at the end is cool.Now Like I said the music is awesome and has a great energy,but I'd have liked to see you strip it back a bit in places to really create some cool dynamics.I know you take the bass out at 1.55 & that's a cool trick but I'd like more! >:) Just a pad and that vocal for a few seconds or something and then WHAM! (no not Club Tropicana! :D )

Really impressive stuff mate!
    Leo B)

Thank you for the great complements. Yes, she's really my Auntie(mums younger sister). That was the second mix(I'm only allowed one track) or I would of put both tracks of the same song on. But, our Boss(Song of Month)Mr @richardyot told me off a little bit, for putting on too many tracks( I understand why tho). Might put some of the other stuff on another thread. But thanks again for listening. ;)

• @MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:
    Did this one (& it's a shorter this time boys. lol) with lovely Auntie Vanessa. Done it on a spur of the moment....... Hope you enjoy it. Had to use a headphone as a Mic thru the mixer(bloody Mic broke).....Hope you enjoy it.

Nice, nice synthy rhythmic stuff going on - like the dubby bass and the vocals are lovely. I'd push the bass up a bit, maybe EQ the bottom end a bit, and make the vocals a lot higher in the mix. Very nice though, I like this - got a haunting quality about it.

Thank you very much for listening. Appreciate you input. :)

• @monzopro Hello mate,it is you right? Well,it's nice to have you back and if I had any doubts before then I'm sorry,but your track really gave you away!! ;) :D

I've missed yours and @jocphones madness! (I say that with respect of course!)
    The best way I can describe how this track made me feel is you know when you're really trying to remember something? It's right there,but you just can't see it and it's driving you nuts....well that was the first 5mins or so we're like for me and then...that last minute,"ta-da!" there it is!!! That lovely melodic bit comes in and all is right in the world again. :grin:

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Something dangerous in a commonly dangerous place. The sound from upstairs when there are a bunch of different televisions tuned off-station downstairs. Better not go. Fairly exact replica of what I felt buying drugs was like in Wandsworth a thousand years ago (without the seagulls).

Yeah I was debating whether the jams worked together, but I'm a bit pushed for music making time at the moment, so just let it go. It is what it is.

@LostBoy85 said:
    @monzopro Hello mate,it is you right? Well,it's nice to have you back and if I had any doubts before then I'm sorry,but your track really gave you away!! ;) :D

The best way I can describe how this track made me feel is you know when you're really trying to remember something? It's right there,but you just can't see it and it's driving you nuts....well that was the first 5mins or so we're like for me and then...that last minute,"ta-da!" there it is!!! That lovely melodic bit comes in and all is right in the world again. :grin:

Thank you! Yeah I hope @jocphone puts up something this month.

I like the bit at the end, in fact I played it again and expanded it a bit tonight and might make a whole thing with it. My Horse Gas stuff does (by accident, I'm quite a cheerful sort really) come across as a bit scary, so maybe I'll do something a bit more celestially uplifting next. Thanks for listening and commenting :)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Hey guys,

Apologies to anyone who's track I missed last month.August was a bit crazy in our house this year.Il get you all this time though! o:)

This will not be everyone's cup of doughnuts but I appreciate the listen and any comments you provide. :)

I woke up one night early August to this bloody bright full moon shining on my face,which was in equal parts awesome and bloody annoying!! It had managed to fit it's whole self into the one tiny gap my wife had left in the curtains!! Anyway I couldn't get back to sleep,but it did give me the line & the idea of switching the whole "I'm so over the moon!" So at least some good came of it. :p The song wrote itself pretty quickly after that.I used chordbot to sketch the progression & originally just stuck with the apps piano and my vocal.Since then,someone from another forum (Dave...we all know Dave right?!!:) ) kindly wrote and played real piano and bass for me,which was really cool! Mixed in Auria & audiomastering. I really pushed myself on my range on this one.I hope you like it.
    Cheers Leo B)

Blimey that's bloody good, I think JG nailed it with his 'epic' comment. Beautifully played and sung, lovely chord sequence. Good job, I'd be dead chuffed if I could sing and play like that!

• @MonzoPro said:

Holly smokes! It has a crazy cool download, cevin key kind of vibe to it! Coolio!

• @MonzoPro Weh hey.....welcome back to the hot tub. The last tune I remember you hammering into the Clubs floorboards, involved some confused country show announcer. Now it's an E'd up elephant! Journeys. The intro & first half was relatively calm & dare I say bordering on the "accessible to the mainstream" side of the barbed wire fence ...in comparison to your skilfully created joys that I've witnessed previously. Such a cool, addictive tribalish rhythm you have dictating the show. Definite dance material. Pre/post punk at its pre/postness best.

Then.....at 3.30...... Dental appointment reminder. Thought I was clued up on all molar extraction methods....fist, elbow, knee etc but never with a clutch less chainsaw! Brilliant. Especially at 4.30. Jesus H. Thanks for the peace of your recovery room at 5.0. That heart rate monitor sounds like it's attached to Predators nephew......it ain't human. Love these sound experiences you force me to take & great to hear you strut your stuff here again.

"Do you like the (maths)?" Couldn't quite make the very last word out. From dentist to audiologist in only a few minutes. ;)

• @Bluepunk said:
    @MonzoPro Weh hey.....welcome back to the hot tub. The last tune I remember you hammering into the Clubs floorboards, involved some confused country show announcer. Now it's an E'd up elephant! Journeys. The intro & first half was relatively calm & dare I say bordering on the "accessible to the mainstream" side of the barbed wire fence ...in comparison to your skilfully created joys that I've witnessed previously. Such a cool, addictive tribalish rhythm you have dictating the show. Definite dance material. Pre/post punk at its pre/postness best.

Then.....at 3.30...... Dental appointment reminder. Thought I was clued up on all molar extraction methods....fist, elbow, knee etc but never with a clutch less chainsaw! Brilliant. Especially at 4.30. Jesus H. Thanks for the peace of your recovery room at 5.0. That heart rate monitor sounds like it's attached to Predators nephew......it ain't human. Love these sound experiences you force me to take & great to hear you strut your stuff here again.

"Do you like the (maths)?" Couldn't quite make the very last word out. From dentist to audiologist in only a few minutes. ;)

Thank you very much! I like the 'bordering on the ...accessible' there, don't think I've been accused of that before...

The voice is a sample grabbed from an old Corrie episode: in the middle "all those eyes, all those mouths", and "I've never liked mouths, do you like mouths?" at the end. Not quite sure how it relates to the track (or elephants), it doesn't really but just tickled my fancy.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:
    @MonzoPro Weh hey.....welcome back to the hot tub. The last tune I remember you hammering into the Clubs floorboards, involved some confused country show announcer. Now it's an E'd up elephant! Journeys. The intro & first half was relatively calm & dare I say bordering on the "accessible to the mainstream" side of the barbed wire fence ...in comparison to your skilfully created joys that I've witnessed previously. Such a cool, addictive tribalish rhythm you have dictating the show. Definite dance material. Pre/post punk at its pre/postness best.

Thank you very much! I like the 'bordering on the ...accessible' there, don't think I've been accused of that before...

The voice is a sample grabbed from an old Corrie episode: in the middle "all those eyes, all those mouths", and "I've never liked mouths, do you like mouths?" at the end. Not quite sure how it relates to the track (or elephants), it doesn't really but just tickled my fancy.

Ah the brilliance of the well-chosen non-sequitur. Something for those doctorate students to hang deep and meaningless explanations onto in generations to come :)

• edited September 2016

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

Ah the brilliance of the well-chosen non-sequitur. Something for those doctorate students to hang deep and meaningless explanations onto in generations to come :)

If you play it backwards it says: "shtuom esoht lla, seye esoht lla". Which is very close to an alchemical incantation used by Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus in the 16th century (and mentioned briefly in later editions of the Carmina Gadelica), and may be used to summon and communicate with angels, donkeys etc. Though I haven't tried this personally, as it's usage is illegal in rural areas.

• So we've slowed it down but upped the fuzz for this months entry. Usual apps although the piano is from Sampletank this time. One of these days I am going to work out why I keep spending £20 a month on new synth apps I never use.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Bluepunk said:

If you play it backwards it says: "shtuom esoht lla, seye esoht lla". Which is very close to an alchemical incantation used by Philippus Aureolus Paracelsus in the 16th century (and mentioned briefly in later editions of the Carmina Gadelica), and may be used to summon and communicate with angels, donkeys etc. Though I haven't tried this personally, as it's usage is illegal in rural areas.

Brilliant! :) Living out in the sticks does have its disadvantages then.

• @orchardman Man,I'm a sucker for female vocalists spilling there hearts out in song! (That's why I have the whole "Roxette" back catalogue!! :D )

This is really lovely and moody! I love the guitar work,nothing too crazy or distracting,but nonetheless supportive of the vocal and shines right where it needs to.The vocal is pretty and is a good performance,which is essential for this style.I know that may sound a little odd,but I'm sure you know what I mean.You can't sing a sad song without being/acting sad. (That's why I always watch E.T before I do a ballad!! :D )

Really nice work both of you.
    Leo B)

• Hello, folks!

This is my entry for this month. Have a nice week everybody!

Dimitri.

• @studs1966 said:

@studs1966 I wasn't sure about the intro but once the groove got going it was nice enough, maybe crank up the bass a bit more. For me though the vocal is way to low in the mix. From what I can here auntie has got a great voice but it needs to be right up front on top of the beat.

• @MonzoPro said:

@studs1966 said:

@MonzoPro sorry man this is so far out of my comfort zone I wouldn't know where to start. There were times when I felt like I was lost in some video games arcade stoned out of my head. The last couple of bars were pretty.

• @LostBoy85 said:
    Hey guys,

Cheers Leo B)

@LostBoy85 lovely song with a fantastic vocal as usual. Loving the harmonies and the fact you trying to push yourself vocally. What setup do you use to record your vocals, what mic, fx etc. I throw a load of expensive Waves plugins on our vocals but I'm not getting close to the purity of sound that you achieve.

If I have one criticism, I'm not sure about the piano sound you use on this one, especially at the very start. I have played the song a few times now and I'm still undecided. Overall though you continue to raise the bar both in terms of your song writing and your production.

• @theconnactic said:
    Hello, folks!

This is my entry for this month. Have a nice week everybody!

Dimitri.

@theconnactic loving this one, great spooky vibe with an almost prog rock air to it. It reminded a bit of my youth when I used while away the hours listening to Alex Lifeson play guitar for Rush. Particularly like it from about the 2:25 mark where you have got the lead over the acoustic. Great stuff.

• edited September 2016

@LostBoy85 said:
    @orchardman Man,I'm a sucker for female vocalists spilling there hearts out in song! (That's why I have the whole "Roxette" back catalogue!! :D )

This is really lovely and moody! I love the guitar work,nothing too crazy or distracting,but nonetheless supportive of the vocal and shines right where it needs to.The vocal is pretty and is a good performance,which is essential for this style.I know that may sound a little odd,but I'm sure you know what I mean.You can't sing a sad song without being/acting sad. (That's why I always watch E.T before I do a ballad!! :D )

Really nice work both of you.
    Leo B)

Thanks Leo, I'm glad you liked it. My only real worry is why, after 30 plus years of marriage, is my wife writing sad songs like this :D

• @orchardman said:

@MonzoPro sorry man this is so far out of my comfort zone I wouldn't know where to start. There were times when I felt like I was lost in some video games arcade stoned out of my head. The last couple of bars were pretty.

No worries, thanks for listening.

• @MonzoPro said:

@LostBoy85 said:

Thank you! Yeah I hope @jocphone puts up something this month.

Thanks peeps but I don't really get the time and energy to contribute and participate in SOTMC at the moment. It's kind of nice to drop in and comment on the odd thing that catches my ear but doing the full thing isn't feasible for me lately.