Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TC-11 Note/Grid Assignment (Resolved)

Hello Audiobus,

I need help from someone familiar with TC-11 and it's table system. I want to assign a scale to a predefined grid - i.e C to 8 cells, vertical or horizontal.
I understand parameter assignment well enough - as it relates to touches/distance/time etc.

Surely there is a simple answer. Surely there are people experienced with this program who can answer this succinctly.
I've emailed Bitshape but received no response, I've posted on reddit but IOS users there are hot on sick beats, not grid assignments.

I've read the manual passage on tables upside down and backwards. Maybe I have a deep-seated learning disability preventing me from correlating grid values and note value assignments.

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Felix Aloysius

Comments

• Just to check. Are you wanting to play a series of notes as in, for example, the patch Stomp Box Lead? If so, maybe reverse engineer this patch? There are 2 tables but if you only want one line of a C scale then you can get rid of the first table. I'm presuming you have a chart to convert midi note numbers to music notes but here's one anyway -

http://www.electronics.dit.ie/staff/tscarff/Music_technology/midi/midi_note_numbers_for_octaves.htm

• Yes, that patch is a good example of what I'm after.
    Would that it were so simple...

Table 1 controls octave and table 2 controls note value. What I want to know is how the patch achieves such crisp break between cells.

I've been able to assign notes to cells but not with any sort of precision, meaning the edge of the cell does not correspond appropriately with a change in note.

It would also be nice to be able to assign note values to the R grid as well without relying on distance-from center/touch/whatever

• I wanna be able to set up a piano roll!

• I wanna see @jakoB_haQ continue his tutorial series. ping

• @aaronpc said:
    I wanna see @jakoB_haQ continue his tutorial series. ping

+1

• @Felix_Aloysius said:
    Yes, that patch is a good example of what I'm after.
    Would that it were so simple...

Table 1 controls octave and table 2 controls note value. What I want to know is how the patch achieves such crisp break between cells.

I've been able to assign notes to cells but not with any sort of precision, meaning the edge of the cell does not correspond appropriately with a change in note.

It would also be nice to be able to assign note values to the R grid as well without relying on distance-from center/touch/whatever

When you say cell, you mean the divisions on the screen? These are controlled in Patch Options. You just divide the screen equally (X, Y and circles) here. For example, if you get rid of the first table, then also change the custom X grid to have only one division. Then you just have 9 divisions across the screen, and 9 notes. Therefore each 'cell' is one note.
    If you want a C to C scale you need only 8 notes. Change the index in Table 2 to 8. Give the 8 table values as 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69, 71 and 72. Then, also change the custom Y grid to have 8 divisions. You then have 8 notes, 1 per 'cell'.

• Thanks Fitz,

Yes, I was referring to the screen divisions
    I noticed today that there are scaled templates already provided and I've been practicing with that.

A tricky thing I noticed was pulling up the module dialog box wasn't clearly described in the manual.

tap/hold any of the parameters in the module to bring up the +add/-add parameter
    used in the two scale patches for defining octaves

• @Felix_Aloysius said:
    Thanks Fitz,

Yes, I was referring to the screen divisions
    I noticed today that there are scaled templates already provided and I've been practicing with that.

A tricky thing I noticed was pulling up the module dialog box wasn't clearly described in the manual.

tap/hold any of the parameters in the module to bring up the +add/-add parameter
    used in the two scale patches for defining octaves

I think that just refers to when you press and hold somewhere in the table you get to add a section where you can choose that table to be controlled by another table. This allows the screen to be split on the X grid and the y grid. Therefore more 'cells'. I think if you have the correct number of notes, and the correct number of 'cells' you should be fine with accuracy of touching.
    Not sure what you mean about piano roll though. My feeling is that if you want to sequence you're best using the sequencer rather that the table.

• @aaronpc said:
    I wanna see @jakoB_haQ continue his tutorial series. ping

+1. Unfortunately Jakob stopped doing them just as he was about to get into... er... actually using the app rather than just setting everything up!

• I think that just refers to when you press and hold somewhere in the table you get to add a section where you can choose that table to be controlled by another table. This allows the screen to be split on the X grid and the y grid. Therefore more 'cells'. I think if you have the correct number of notes, and the correct number of 'cells' you should be fine with accuracy of touching.
    Not sure what you mean about piano roll though. My feeling is that if you want to sequence you're best using the sequencer rather that the table.

huh?
    That's the trick, man - not something described in the manual!

Piano roll - meaning a piano roll! A series of cells lined out like a piano roll...
    Sequencing wasn't what I was after.

Anyhow, I got it figured out on my own. Thanks for the comments.

• I'm guessing you mean the keys on the left of the image whereas I mean the sequencing on the right. That's how I normally understand piano roll. All good!

• AW, you are correct! I was using the wrong terminology.
    Cheers!