Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi Routing App - channel cycling

edited August 2016 in General App Discussion

Hello,

I am looking for an app that can cycle through different midi channels, sendng each incoming note (from a midi controller) to a different channel (first note played - ch1, 2nd note - ch2, etc). I've looked at MidiBridge and MidiFlow but they don't seem to have this feature. Do you know of any iOS app that does?

Made a keyboard template in TBMidiStuff that send pitch bends per vertical movement on a key and would like to affect only each note at a time.

Thank you!

Comments

• I think you might do that with meta controllers using Midi designer pro 2...

• edited August 2016

@Helder said:
    Hello,

I am looking for an app that can cycle through different midi channels, sendng each incoming note (from a midi controller) to a different channel (first note played - ch1, 2nd note - ch2, etc). I've looked at MidiBridge and MidiFlow but they don't seem to have this feature. Do you know of any iOS app that does?

Made a keyboard template in TBMidiStuff that send pitch bends per vertical movement on a key and would like to affect only each note at a time.

Thank you!

Hi,

Midi bridge can route channels but not sure what you want to do. Can you briefly explain what you want to do?
    Is it a kind of splitting the keyboard in different channels ?

If this is the case you can do it with Midi Bridge and its function Stream Byte ( where you can program certain things).

All the best

• Thumbjam can do this out of the box, definitely from its own keyboard and I believe it will also modify midi passing through it.

• edited August 2016

Thumbjam is good but it can't send pitch bends per note by vertical sliding on each key, as the template I made does.

To clarify: I need a simple program that receives midi notes on one channel (from my keyboard template on TB midi stuff) but sends each one on seperate and consecutive channels. So if you do a C major chord, the C is sent on ch1, E on ch2 and G on ch3. Then you can bend a sustained note seperately from the others, like in midi controllers like the seaboard rise.

• @crony said:
    I think you might do that with meta controllers using Midi designer pro 2...

Is this true? Can someobe test? I have the old version of Midi Designer. I also looked at Lemur but this feature seems to be inexistent. Midiflow comes close, but ut does not cycke channels, only other controllers, from the manual.

• @Helder said:
    Thumbjam is good but it can't send pitch bends per note by vertical sliding on each key, as the template I made.

To clarify: I need a simple program that receives midi notes on one channel but sends each one on seperate and consecutive channels. So if you do a C major chord, the C is sent on ch1, E on ch2 and G on ch3. Then you can bend a sustained note seperately from the others, like in controllers like the seaboard rise.

Actually in the latest version I did add a new option for pitch bend (x-axis) which does what you describe! To get the channel per touch midi output, just enable that in Prefs->MIDI Setup.

However, I don't know of an app that will "channelize" single channel midi input, but I have considered writing one for a long time.

• edited August 2016

@sonosaurus said:
    Actually in the latest version I did add a new option for pitch bend (x-axis) which does what you describe! To get the channel per touch midi output, just enable that in Prefs->MIDI Setup.

However, I don't know of an app that will "channelize" single channel midi input, but I have considered writing one for a long time.

Thanks for the tip! However I tried to use x-axis pitch bend with touch per channel enabled and it didn't work for me...I tried it with Cassini, iSEM and DRC. When I bent one note all bent as well. Maybe it's these synths engine?

(EDIT: I confirm that it must be the synths receiving pitchbend messages globally, not per channel, because I could make it work with SampleTank)

In any case I would like to use my template in TB midi stuff. Pitchbend is not relative to first touch but it is fixed. Some nice wobbling effects come out this way and it is very expressive.

So yes, an app that channelizes all messages to single consecutive channels would be awesome! And indeed this feature seems to be lacking and is essential for the new MPE protocol. Please let us know if/when you do that.

• should be possible with Lemur. You could build the entire controller there (with pitch bend on the y-axis), or build only the translator/mapper. Are you familiar with Lemur scripts? If not I could help, although I´m a bit limited right now because I have no computer in my Tipi. Sometime in September I´m in my studio again.

• edited August 2016

Ok, thanks. So Lemur can do this sort of thing? That is good news. Can I build such a translater on the iPad editor? I don't know about lemur scripts no. Thanks again.

• you can do everything with Lemur. I will try tomorrow if I can do something with the in-app editor, but I can´t promise if I´ll get it. It is so much more comfortable to use a computer where you can edit and test a template at the same time. Maybe go to the Lemur forum and ask your question there, this could be quicker. Search for "channel rotation" or better just "rotation".

• edited August 2016

Thanks, appreciate it.
    If one can do that with lemur I will get it. It is on sale now as well.
    is it hard to do, even in a computer? I am not so much a programmer :)

• no, it is not easy, as I'm not a programmer myself. But with some effort it pays off quickly. It is not that difficult if you know a bit about maths. As an amateur I was able to build complex synth programmers and DAW surfaces, including internal automation and patch storage, as well as small MIDI translators. And much more. If you have Lemur you don´t have to buy many other apps because you can build their functionality yourself. I would certainly get it now for that low price. I paid 50 SFR in 2012 and was very happy to have a 3000 SFR device/software on my iPad2.