Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Notion is on sale ($7,99 fom $14,99)

Same price in €

https://itunes.apple.com/es/app/notion/id475820434?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Zero musical notation skills here (except drums), but I'll check it out as educational tool.

Comments

• It's a cool app, but I've since deleted it due to lack of use. For some it's the dogs danglies ;)

• It's terrific, difficult, fiddly, brilliant, and beautiful, much like Mrs. Goodyear.

• Got it. Brilliant app. Smooth functioning and good UI. It's one of the few apps that brings me to abandon its analogue on desktop

• edited August 2016

I use it daily. I also integrate it with Notion on the desktop. Great to be able to work on the iPad on the go, and then upload the score - work some on the desktop, and then go back to mobile on the iPad transparently. My #1 scoring program :smiley:

Very easy to use. Pinch and zoom is your friend. The LSO samples are also pretty decent even for final rendering (although I do find the solo violin needs some EQ).

• The breadth/scope of the options are very good, but I am blundering at times...any recs for good tutorials?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

The breadth/scope of the options are very good, but I am blundering at times...any recs for good tutorials?

The online manual isn't bad. Also, check out the Notion YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKaDyzDbZM1WtSy-bIwCvw

• @MusicInclusive said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

The breadth/scope of the options are very good, but I am blundering at times...any recs for good tutorials?

The online manual isn't bad. Also, check out the Notion YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWKaDyzDbZM1WtSy-bIwCvw

Grazie. Very kind.

• Hafta say it makes me a little nervous that after a steady stream of updates it's been quiet since December last year....can never decide if a big sale is a giddyup grab or the precursor to new stuff...

• Hmmm, might have to pick it up as well as the IAP for Apple Pencil compatibility.

• Question: Does have the app symphonic instruments enough to work with?

Thanks

• My #1 scoring program :smiley:

That's all I want to know. Appaholic status updated. Ive fallen off the wagon. :|

• @fjcblanco said:
    Question: Does have the app symphonic instruments enough to work with?

Thanks

As the app comes there are some. You have to buy the IAPs to get a completely rounded-out set of instruments, but, if you do, then, yes, pretty much a full orchestra. You can buy individual instruments or the whole bundle.

What instrument in particular were you looking for?

• @Richtowns said:
    My #1 scoring program :smiley:

That's all I want to know. Appaholic status updated. Ive fallen off the wagon. :|

Not a bad way to go and very cultured after all.....

• @MusicInclusive said:

No one in particular. Probably I'll buy it just for learning.

Thanks to everybody.

• @fjcblanco said:

@MusicInclusive said:

No one in particular. Probably I'll buy it just for learning.

Thanks to everybody.

It is a very interesting piece of work. And while there is obviously much to learn it's not impenetrable to use as a number of more 'advanced' or complex apps can be...

Grazie. Very kind.

Grazie? Johnny, are you from my same side of the water?

• @zarv said:

Grazie. Very kind.

Grazie? Johnny, are you from my same side of the water?

No my friend, but I can say thank you in many languages :) Mrs. Goodyear is also determined that we should spend a year soon in Europe (which doesn't include England in her mind, unfortunately, as that's my original birthplace) and she is trying to decide between Spain, Italy and Switzerland....so I may be closer to where you are sooner rather than later :)

• I'm still getting my head around Notion. I know it's the best platform for a certain strain of my activity once I have the facility built up. I remember most of my notation from my pre-guitar days so that's not so much the issue. And I much prefer adding dynamic markings and articulation markings in score notation rather than adjusting velocities in piano roll or switching between a 'trmobone' soundfont and a 'trombone staccato' soundfont! And using accelerandos and ritardandos is so great.

I find though that I like to start a piece by real-time recording a phrase and then using its rhythmic profile to build a piece, working in notation. I wish Notion's onscreen keyboard gave it note-off signals as well as note-on signals. If I record a phrase with the on-screen keyboard, Notion captures the correct trigger points for each note, but all notes are given full duration until the next note on the same key occurs. So I have to adjust the value of each note in staff and then fill the intervening space with the correct value of rests, which is quite cumbersome.

(I don't suppose there is already a tool for shortening a note and automatically making up the difference with rests, is there? As in, change this quarter note to an eighth note followed by an eighth rest. There's 'fill with rests' but that kills the original note altogether...)

• Not my favorite sequencer yet but I sure do feel inteligent using it. I hope I find a way to extend the note length of selected notes. I have high hopes to make a nice acid house composition with violin instead of a 303. All those silly italian words you use in music theory seem very useful when sequencing on a score. Legato, portamento, arpeggio here I come!

• much obliged for the condescension

• @JonLewis said:
    much obliged for the condescension

I wasnt trying to be clever. I was talking about my experience. Im studying the syntorial course at the moment. I dable in music theory but Im an engineer not a musician. Modstep is like and engineering tool for sequencing. Notion is the same it seems to me but coming from a different discipline, the fine arts!