Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loading multichannel midi files into Sampletank 2 or GarageBand iPad.

Hello,
I'm sure this will be simple for most of you, however as a Newb I'm struggling with loading midi files into ST 2 or GB, I've unzipped them from my Googledrive account, but I can't seem to get them to load. I would appreciate any tips you might have, these are simple files, no more than 5 or 6 tracks. Thanks so much !

Comments

• Neither of those two apps will import midi files so that's why it won't work

• I'm currently looking for an app on the iPhone to do this.

On the iPad you can use Cubasis

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    I'm currently looking for an app on the iPhone to do this.

MusicStudio will do it,

• First, thanks for the responses. I can't believe that these 2 apps will not import midi files, WTH??? This is a basic and super important feature!! What about AUM? I can't afford AP or Cubasis at the moment....there has to be a workaround or trick that someone has used?? Thanks again.

• There's another app that will import a midi file but not sure if that's what you're looking for called Midiband 3
    I got it working butbyou can't edit the midi file at all it just splits the midi inton16 tracks which you can then use to drive ST midi channels

• Gonna save my tunes cash and just use Midiband for now but on iPad gonna use Cubasis

@BiancaNeve said:

@MusicMan4Christ said:
    I'm currently looking for an app on the iPhone to do this.

MusicStudio will do it,

• edited August 2016

It's true. Many iOS music apps don't import MIDI files. Some have sort of an excuse---like Korg Gadget is not linear. GarageBand is Apple, and they just tend to resist making life easy for anyone trying to work outside their domain. The newest QT doesn't even support MIDI, I believe. Sample Tank can't even edit MIDI. For some apps, a potentially complex MIDI file could be more than they could handle.

What you might want is more of a full DAW like Auria Pro, Cubasis, or MultiTrackStudio, or a full-blown MIDI sequencer like ModStep (multichannel, I don't know.) And there are other options.

• @drjazz930 said:
    First, thanks for the responses. I can't believe that these 2 apps will not import midi files, WTH??? This is a basic and super important feature!! What about AUM?

AUM isn't a sequencer. It can play back audio files. It can process the audio from apps loaded into it. It can route MIDI from sequencers and controllers to instruments in it. But it can't play or record MIDI at all.

Genome is $12.99 and can import MIDI files. Others will need to comment on whether it would be suitable for you or not. I don't own it.

It sounds to me like you're going to end up with Auria Pro or Cubasis eventually anyway, so you might want to save up for that instead rather than jump through the many hoops you'll need to in order to get from point a to point b that route though. IMO.

• edited August 2016

@wim said:
    It sounds to me like you're going to end up with Auria Pro or Cubasis eventually anyway, so you might want to save up for that instead rather than jump through the many hoops you'll need to in order to get from point a to point b that route though. IMO.

Sage advice which we old men nod knowingly at etc for while we may not be able to lift ourselves from the chair nor have any notion of this Frankie Ocean we have bought a thousand apps already goddammit and suspect our previous selves could have been more prudent and circumspect also even.

• I thought the question was an app to load midi files on iphone

• If just listening and not editing, bs-16i will open and play midi files as well as the Roland MT app.

• Also MidiOnStage will play multitrack MIDI files with GM sounds (which you can change) but there is NO MIDI out or note editing and no Audiobus or IAA.

• Caustic does this. When you load a midi file you get a grid electing which midi tracks to assign to which caustic tracks. Then all the music appears in the piano roll (not in the patterns menus, obviously).

Music Studio, as people have mentioned. BS-16i if you want to create a multitimbral arrangement but don't need to tweak the MDI anymore.

• If you don't need a sampler and want to save money, then there is the bismark m16 app which is only $2.99. I don't own it, but it has a nice iPhone interface. 16 icons visible at the same time, one for each channel.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bismark-m16/id395915208?mt=8

The drawback with getting this over the bs-16i is that I don't think it works with Audiobus

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I thought the question was an app to load midi files on iphone

Not from the OP. I was responding to @drjazz930 also based on context from other threads. But you're right regarding @Tones4Christ's question.

@JonLewis said:
    Music Studio, as people have mentioned. BS-16i if you want to create a multitimbral arrangement but don't need to tweak the MDI anymore.

I hadn't thought about Music Studio, but that's maybe a good answer. It has a great selection of instruments, has midi-out, and is iPhone compatible as well.