Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

This effect, is this what you'd call granulation?

I'm trying to recreate this awesome sparkly, inter planetary effect. It sounds like a cool kind of interference. It's used in the chords at the start of this track:

Does anyone know how I can achieve this kind of sound? Would love to learn how!

Thanks for reading! :) have a nice day all.

Comments

• Damn! I had forgotten that was such a cool song.

• Try a saw or square wave based patch with clock synced LFO (32nd?) set to the 'Random' shape pointed at the filter's cut-off frequency. Sounds like it the AMP ADSR's release time is set to pretty long and the chords are actually quick stabs. That should get you in the ballpark anyway.

• Indeed. It is a chord or interval being played, with the low pass vcf cutoff frequency being modulated by a that fairly fast LFO (is it clock synced? Probably needn't be), within the range from quite heavily cut off, to fairly open but not fully wide open. Resonance about three quarters up, or less, depending on the synth. However, it may be that the chords are long held ones with a fairly short release. The 'sparkly' impression is the transition from random held high levels of filter cutoff, to random lower held levels, per LFO step, emphasized by the quite high Q of the resonance. What could emphasize this even more is a tiny touch of lag or slew on the stepping of the sample and hold output (that's not what was used here, it was the raw random S&H output, but it might have added a bit of polish if they had). At a guess I'd say this is a paraphonic synth, and only one filter is doing this. It might even have been one synth that makes chords fed into another synth that was doing this all the time, un gated, such as any available poly synth fed into the external input of a Roland SH-09. Talking of which, my Roland SH-09 will be up for sale soon, accompanied by a CSQ-600 sequencer. But yes, any chord source fed through a fairly rapidly S+H modulated filter would give this, and the art is to find that particular point of resonance that sounds wet and drippy without actually going into a honking self-oscillation.

• great description(s), considering the release date and their gear preferences, it's most likely one of those analog ways... love that saw on the track B)

cheers, Tom

• Wow, what can I say? You guys really know your stuff! Must have been in this game for a long time. -I'm only just starting out with synthesisers in the last 6 months.

I think my skills are elsewhere really. -I am big into jamiroquai (despite how old they are). I don't know why really.. well... I can tell you why but I guess when you obsess over something so much it subconsciously feeds into your personality, your outlook, your taste. Since I got into then about 8 years ago I've naturally moved around a lot and found lots of other artists I like but I always come back to this band. Maybe is because they're British (I am), maybe it's a 90's nostalgia (I'm 35), or maybe it's because all the fanfare has long since gone and I still like what they've achieved. Funny enough, I don't obsess much over the lead vocalist (even though he's obviously a star), I just really like the whole package.

I guess I binged out for quite a while and then got into the live recordings where a lot more happens. Been considering getting a tribute band together for ages but for now... took up the mantle of learning the chords (after learning plenty of bass lines already). I'm a drummer mainly I guess but I moved into bass after needing to downsize. And trying to learn keys has led me into synthesisers.

Some ppl say don't imitate, be original. But this is something I've wanted to do for a long time and it would be great to meet ppl on the same wavelength (boom boom), ppl who already know keys, who like funk in general,, and of course jamiroquai.

I'm impressed by how much detail you can detect going into the makeup of these sounds.. i think it's amazing I'm just so new to this stuff it confuses me a bit (some of the terms). I have a lot to learn.

• regarding imitating: not too long ago I watched J. Timberlake introduce a new record (live), that was stunningly similiar to Jamiroquai's style. But (sorry) he moved like an old fart, compared to Jay Kay ... though the latter is 10 years older.
    Great band, some of the most groovy bass lines around. Might be time to practice Runaway again... that stuff is challenging as hell (way beyond my humble league, but always worth a try)

The sounds are not too difficult to identify: there are only so many ways to do it analog.
    In those years 'granular' had a rather harsh sound, lots of metallic high mids.
    This one is just too smooth for that. Today it wouldn't be so clear because there have been significant improvements in digital processing.

• edited September 2016

These replies are all really great. @syrupcore, u0421793: I'm with you up to a point with your descriptions.

But I get fairly lost. I'd rely like to create this sound.

Can anyone give me a few directions if I list a few apps I have? I have iProphet, animoog, Ims-20, im1, ids10, iMini.

• edited September 2016

This enveloppe filter guitar pedal has a Sample and Hold fonction:

And its the effect you are searching for :)

(demo starts at 1:30)

• Very kind of you to help.
    But unfortunately I'm trying to do this on keyboard/midi.
    And through software ideally.

The effect is bang on though.

• If you are using the WOW app (Sugar Bytes), there is a preset named "Always another bar". I guess that with a fast tempo and a good synth, you can produce a similar song

• Yes, wow2 is your best bet for S&H and envelope filter dedicated fx on iOS, or volcano inside Auria

• I'll look into those, thanks guys.

• @pierre said:
    Yes, wow2 is your best bet for S&H and envelope filter dedicated fx on iOS, or volcano inside Auria

Wow, volcano comes at a price! :-O
    Looks like comprehensive software but might have to try and do what I want cheaper..

• Also, if you have gadget, you can do this effect with Phoenix and Wolfsburg, using their proper LFOs