Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• I don't know/get what this thing is? For 10.00 though, I could try it out. A controller?

• I've stopped buying anything that has not had an update for a long time.

• edited August 2016

@High5denied said:
    . A controller?

Short history: before the iPad there was a hardware "Lemur" MIDI controller, essentially the most customizable touch screen MIDI controller ever made. It was mindblowing And it was ( I think ) $2000 !!
    http://blog.dubspot.com/lemur-for-ipad/

So now we have iPads that do the same thing and a company ported the Lemur MIDI controller software to an iOS app.

• It's a great way to run automation on synths directly through Midi and also allows you to control external gear and DAWS with your iPad. It's a pretty deep app, and I've only scratched the surface, but it is fun to play around with.

• I don't have it yet, I've been happy with MIDI Designer Pro.

But at $9.99 it is tempting. Mostly for just gaining access to all the templates available.

• iirc I paid $30 when it was released ;)
    BUT: I wouldn't consider Lemur if I had no idea about programming
    (in the sense of software developement)
    You may be able to mod one or the other patch, but the app doesn't adress 'consumers' in the way various other midi design apps do.

• I picked it up because of the price drop. So far preferring good ol' TB Midi Stuff by a long shot though.

• Do you need to have midi bride to send midi to apps?

• @Kkani said:
    Do you need to have midi bride to send midi to apps?

No

It's all the original controller, plus way more, JazzMutant, was a long time ago, BTW for novices check out the community, a lot of templates available, some wonderful designs.

• edited August 2016

I have to say, although I was annoyed at these guys for making skram free... this is awfully tempting. I remember seeing some user created automation templates for this that were very impressive and appeared well designed.

Also interested in the built-in sequencer. Also universal. Can anyone comment on the built-in step sequencer for novices who don't really want to design their own midi interfaces? Or, am I completely confused on what this thing is out of the box?

• @knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

No

It's all the original controller, plus way more, JazzMutant, was a long time ago, BTW for novices check out the community, a lot of templates available, some wonderful designs.

Thanks,so it's midi ports are visible?How is sequencer timing?I'm thinking of getting it for sequencing apps mainly,are there any issues I should be aware of.

• I picked it up - The LFO studio caught my eye 1st. I actually wasn't aware of these sort-of functional templates - so I'm pleasantly surprised. I"m using Midi Designer for Design - but presuming these general templates work well, I can definitely see using them.

• They obviously did this cuz i bought it for 25 last night.

• @Kkani said:

@knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

No

Thanks,so it's midi ports are visible?How is sequencer timing?I'm thinking of getting it for sequencing apps mainly,are there any issues I should be aware of.

Don't know, but if I remember correctly, lemur I think received an update, to correct midi timing.

• In the user library if you take a good look through you'll also find tutorial templates and other great components too like recordable dials etc., if you do want to make your own, it's often better to create the template on a desktop with the iPad connected, so you get an instant display of your creation on the iPad.

• @knewspeak said:
    In the user library if you take a good look through you'll also find tutorial templates and other great components too like recordable dials etc., if you do want to make your own, it's often better to create the template on a desktop with the iPad connected, so you get an instant display of your creation on the iPad.

Do you use it to sequence iOS apps?

• @rhcball said:
    They obviously did this cuz i bought it for 25 last night.

Thank you! Someone had to do it, and for once it wasn't me.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@skiphunt and @Kkani take this for what it's worth since I haven't spent much time with it. I have spent a lot of time with apps like it (TouchOSC and TB Midi Stuff).

I don't think you want to think of this as a sequencer in the sense that it could replace something like ModStep, Genome, or Infinite Looper. It doesn't have a piano roll for one big thing.

Think of it as a super replacement for a hardware controller. You can set up pages with faders, dials, lfo automation, etc ... and yes, you can sequence things. But it's more like you can set up pages where you can trigger on and off pads or notes, but only for a single pattern at a time. You can even set up sequencer pages that work like Patterning. But unless I'm wrong, it would be like Patterning without multiple patterns and scale mode.

It's pretty technical too. For instance, getting the included drum sequencer template working with just one of my apps required digging into the guts of it with the editor to set up the midi channel and notes for each sequencer lane. Not for the feint of heart. More for guys like me that get a kick out of apps like Su#Vo#.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably the top of the line MIDI control surface app there is. But it's not really a sequencer. It's flexible enough to be made to act like one, but not really it's purpose.

• @knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

@knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

No

Don't know, but if I remember correctly, lemur I think received an update, to correct midi timing.

No Link though, right?

• @wim said:

@knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

@knewspeak said:

@Kkani said:

No

No Link though, right?

That's correct, no Link, if anyone wants to control Reaper on the desktop, look for a template called Binder it's similar to the Ableton Live template. Both excellent controllers but still it's hard to beat TouchAble for Live. Don't just search the user library, templates are all over the web. Different ones for DAW's, plugins, iOS, Reaktor etc.

• I have lemur app. It's great for what's its designed for, and it does it extremely well. Fantastic in fact.
    Being prepared to learn a bit, spend time with it, you will love it, super powerful control surface.
    But
    I use ableton and agree with knewspeak, touchable rocks. This has a piano roll, and is awesome at controlling ableton.
    In fact buy lemur, if you need a super control surface, it runs well on old iPads , and a great price..... You deserve it.

• @Kkani said:

@knewspeak said:
    In the user library if you take a good look through you'll also find tutorial templates and other great components too like recordable dials etc., if you do want to make your own, it's often better to create the template on a desktop with the iPad connected, so you get an instant display of your creation on the iPad.

Do you use it to sequence iOS apps?

I used it in the past to sequence, yes, for notes and CC's, haven't tried it in while, I think it got its slave midi clock updated since I used it because of timing inaccuracies. It can also act strangely when app switching, when using motion controllers (lots in my case) the screen display seems out of sync, but the midi information being sent, was in time. I think priority is given to the data being sent, rather than the screen updating.

• @wim said:
    @skiphunt and @Kkani take this for what it's worth since I haven't spent much time with it. I have spent a lot of time with apps like it (TouchOSC and TB Midi Stuff).

I don't think you want to think of this as a sequencer in the sense that it could replace something like ModStep, Genome, or Infinite Looper. It doesn't have a piano roll for one big thing.

Think of it as a super replacement for a hardware controller. You can set up pages with faders, dials, lfo automation, etc ... and yes, you can sequence things. But it's more like you can set up pages where you can trigger on and off pads or notes, but only for a single pattern at a time. You can even set up sequencer pages that work like Patterning. But unless I'm wrong, it would be like Patterning without multiple patterns and scale mode.

It's pretty technical too. For instance, getting the included drum sequencer template working with just one of my apps required digging into the guts of it with the editor to set up the midi channel and notes for each sequencer lane. Not for the feint of heart. More for guys like me that get a kick out of apps like Su#Vo#.

Don't get me wrong, it's probably the top of the line MIDI control surface app there is. But it's not really a sequencer. It's flexible enough to be made to act like one, but not really it's purpose.

Thanks for the very accurate and helpful breakdown, but.... too late. I already pulled the trigger. ;)

I've discovered over the last several months, I too get a kick out of trying to figure out puzzling interfaces like Su#Vo#... almost as much as actually making something with them. I hate to admit that, because I'm guessing that falls squarely into nerdy/dork territory. ;)

I don't regret buying Lemur yet. It's a new challenging puzzle that will eventually also be useful once I crack the interface code. So far though, I've got the factory presets to control a couple synths and have found some useful user created templates/modules from the Liine user library. You're certainly 100% correct in your assessment of this as a sequencer replacement for something like Genome or Infinite Looper. It ain't.

• @skiphunt said:

@wim said:

Thanks for the very accurate and helpful breakdown, but.... too late. I already pulled the trigger. ;)

I've discovered over the last several months, I too get a kick out of trying to figure out puzzling interfaces like Su#Vo#... almost as much as actually making something with them. I hate to admit that, because I'm guessing that falls squarely into nerdy/dork territory. ;)

I don't regret buying Lemur yet. It's a new challenging puzzle that will eventually also be useful once I crack the interface code. So far though, I've got the factory presets to control a couple synths and have found some useful user created templates/modules from the Liine user library. You're certainly 100% correct in your assessment of this as a sequencer replacement for something like Genome or Infinite Looper. It ain't.

What can the sequencers do and not do when controlling iOS apps?

• Excuse me if this has been covered; can Lemur control Virtual iOS midi apps on the same iPad? How about controlling a second iPad or iPhone through a hardware interface?

• @Kkani said:

@skiphunt said:

@wim said:

What can the sequencers do and not do when controlling iOS apps?

I'm going to have to bow out of this explanation because this level of app programming is way outside of my paygrade. I mean, I understand it somewhat and have made crude software midi controllers before... so I have a vague idea, but if you're looking for something that you can sequence notes, that connect to a midi-controllable synth app, Lemur isn't for you. You're better off with one of the apps Wim referenced. I have Genome and like it. For iPhone I use Infinite Looper's spawn called Aleph. Many here swear by Modstep. You can even do a fair sequencing job with Xynthesizr.

That being said.. you CAN use Lemur to sequence your midi-controllable synth apps, only you're going to have to build it pretty much from scratch in the Lemur programming environment, or tweak one of their samples, or download a sequencer another user has already programmed.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

@bsantoro said:
    Excuse me if this has been covered; can Lemur control Virtual iOS midi apps on the same iPad? How about controlling a second iPad or iPhone through a hardware interface?

Yes. And Yes.

• I think Lemur is great. I used to have my session-set-up controlled by my custom control surface on an Ipad, built within Lemur. I found it better, though, to have seperate remote (using KMix and Quneo exclusively for quite a while, now), since with an iPad I can do so much more at the same time(and Lemur, used as a remote, needs to be dominantly in the forefround). Thus I hardly ever use Lemur anymore. It's magnificent, though. One of it's strengths are the "motion-balls" (or whatever they're called), highly definable movements... I would buy it again.

• Hi

I'm not using too much electronic music but still playing with a good amount of instruments layered. Would you see interesting to buy Lemur?