Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latency issues with connected Effect slot

Hi Sebastian

I am really not a movie guy so here goes my fault description.

1. Launch Audiobus
  2. Launch Loopy HD in output slot. Set tempo to 137 bpm. Set measure to 4 in Loopy (default is 1).
  3. Launch Magellan in the input slot. Load Init Preset (Sawtooth) from the preset menu.
  4. Record a 1/16 note pattern from Magellan via the onscreen keyboard.
  5. Play back the loop.
  6. Load Audulus in the effect slot. Load Stereo Delay Patch from the Audiobus Forum.
  7. Record the same pattern again in Magellan.

Result: As soon as the Loopy count in has finished and recording starts there is an audible crackle. Latency somehow is off and the resulting recording is off timing.

This can be reproduced even when instead of recording it again in Step 7 you load the Loopy track directly in the input slot and record directly in and out of Loopy over Audulus.
If you bypass the FX slot App via sidebar the timing is ok again.

CPU for the FX slot App is barely noticeable so i can't imagine i maxed it out (iPad3).

Thanks for checking
Oliver

Comments

• I did some further testing. This does not happen with sunrizer in the input slot.

Probably a Magellan issue. Contacted Yonac already.

• Update: Yonac Software is looking into this.

• Thanks for updating this! Very informative.

• edited December 2012

So far Yonac has not been able to reproduce this behaviour. Sent him also the link to this discussion. I will keep you posted.

• Update: Jesse did some testing. Here is his feedback, maybe Rolf can say something?
    "Hi Oliver,

I was able to replicate your issue with the static and glitches. I used NLog in the effects slot, and tested Magellan and Sunrizer as the inputs. I got glitches in both Magellan and Sunrizer. I then attained CPU usage reports from Apple's Activity Monitor. They show that NLog is using around 50% of the CPU. This is why there are glitches. Magellan and Sunrizer are only using a small amount of CPU. Here are screenshots from the reports"

I wondered wether NLog actually processes the whole patch when connected to the FX slot and not just the effects (osc1-4, unison etc).

He could not test this with Audulus. But I guess its the same issue. For now the FX slot has to remain untouched by me.

Looking forward to hear Rolfs ideas to this.

• Hi Oliver,

I just wanted to clarify some things about what I said...

The testing I was telling you about was on an iPad 2. It is also specific to the NLog patch that you emailed me. And in Magellan, I was using the INIT patch. I had no problems or glitches when I tested the same NLog patch and Magellan in Audiobus on the iPad 4.

• Hi Jesse
    thanks for the explanation :)
    Well i better start saving now.

Oli