Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

baldguru - My new Studio desk setup

Here is a short video of my brand new 46" Studio Trends desk I got at Guitar Center in Pasadena a little while ago. I'd agonized over this purchase partially because their web site promised I'd have to await delivery to the store. But when I went in to order it they actually had it in stock! It was so easy to assemble and when I added some LED light strips to the underside of the shelf to make the rack mounted gear usable - well, let's just say I'm a really happy camper!!

And for all you folks that need a rackmount solution for the iConnectivity MIDI/Audio 4's, here's how I solved the issue.

Please forgive the choppiness of the edits and the dizziness of my handheld iPhone. It's all a learning process, lol. I purchased an app called Emulsio to help smooth it all out, and it really did a good job. Still, hope you don't get too seasick watching.

The little ending sound track is just something I dredged out of my AudioShare from noodling with J. Cowgill's DarkShadows_SQ preset in iSem back in April.

Hope you enjoy me bragging on my setup...

Comments

• Looks tidy. My music space is a total shit show right now so thanks for the inspiration! Would you mind linking up those dimmable LED lights?

• @syrupcore said:
    Looks tidy. My music space is a total shit show right now so thanks for the inspiration! Would you mind linking up those dimmable LED lights?

I got them at a local electronics supply store. They come in differing lengths and color temperatures. Unfortunately I did not save the packaging so I guess I will have to go to the store (Orvacs) and make a little documentry of them so you can search the Google, lol. I'll get right on that tomorrow. Yay, another fun vid come soon...

• If you have an Ikea nearby, they have nifty dimmable LEDs with color temperature controls, also plain old white LED flexistrips, I think.

• @miguelmarcos said:
    If you have an Ikea nearby, they have nifty dimmable LEDs with color temperature controls, also plain old white LED flexistrips, I think.

Oh man, I didn't think of Ikea. We have several fairly close by here in southern california, so it's doable. However, the walk thru the store is rough for me (medical issues) and I really like to support smaller retailers whenever I can.
    I will look at the Ikea website to check as they likely will be considerably less expensive with more choices. Thanks Miguel!

• @syrupcore, @miguelmarcos suggested Ikea. I looked and they have some good solutions. However, they seem to only be available in store - and the store locator does not work for me. Here is the link to one I think suitable: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50206664/

I will be going to Orvac later today and will get the info for the strip system I'm using.

• edited August 2016

Speaking of Ikea I am headed there this weekend to cobble a standing desk/studio together. All told it should only cost me about 60$. Anyway this site shows a bunch of clever things you can do given that Ikea has tons of modular parts n such. http://www.ikeahackers.net/

• Thanks fellas.

• @syrupcore said:
    Looks tidy. My music space is a total shit show right now so thanks for the inspiration! Would you mind linking up those dimmable LED lights?

Check out Phillips Hue light strips. Just installed two strips on my studio desk and they're pretty amazing. Using a third party app I can effectively sync their brightness / color to whatever is coming out of my monitors. They're on the pricey side, but well worth it IMO ...if you're into that sort of thing.

• Nice desk. I like the racks and how you mounted the iConnect devices. I like small neat hardware.

• @syrupcore

So I went over to Orvac and learned that the light strips are available on their online site: http://www.orvac.com/Catalog/LED-BARS/

What is not clear on the site is the proper power supply:
    http://www.orvac.com/s.nl/it.A/id.43333/.f

Also, there is an adapter cable needed that converts the power supply cable to the light bar. I don't have the link for that, you may have to call them to get that right...

Turns out that the system is made by S1Dezigns and ends up being less expensive that the solutions I found on the Ikea site.

• @syrupcore make that Step 1 Dezigns...

• edited August 2016

@AudioGus said:
    Speaking of Ikea I am headed there this weekend to cobble a standing desk/studio together. All told it should only cost me about 60$. Anyway this site shows a bunch of clever things you can do given that Ikea has tons of modular parts n such. http://www.ikeahackers.net/

Thanks for this, IKEA is cool when hacked

Im intrigued by your planned standing desk set-up, I'd love to see what you come up with: my bride is a writer, and cannot work seated, (excruciating back pain issues)

• @baldguru There's a trick in all the stores I've been to: After entering there is an escalator and stairs. If you take the stairs it will leave you close to a second set of stairs that go back down but inside the store. Then it's a matter of finding the shortest path to lighting.

You can also take the escaltors at the entrance but turn to your left instead of heading for the furniture area and locate the downward stairs into the store.

• @miguelmarcos said:
    @baldguru There's a trick in all the stores I've been to: After entering there is an escalator and stairs. If you take the stairs it will leave you close to a second set of stairs that go back down but inside the store. Then it's a matter of finding the shortest path to lighting.

You can also take the escaltors at the entrance but turn to your left instead of heading for the furniture area and locate the downward stairs into the store.

Now that's ikea hacking!

• edited August 2016

@baldguru said:
    @syrupcore

So I went over to Orvac and learned that the light strips are available on their online site: http://www.orvac.com/Catalog/LED-BARS/

What is not clear on the site is the proper power supply:
    http://www.orvac.com/s.nl/it.A/id.43333/.f

Also, there is an adapter cable needed that converts the power supply cable to the light bar. I don't have the link for that, you may have to call them to get that right...

Turns out that the system is made by S1Dezigns and ends up being less expensive that the solutions I found on the Ikea site.

Thank you very very much for doing this. Is yours the 3k or the 5k?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AudioGus said:

Thanks for this, IKEA is cool when hacked

Im intrigued by your planned standing desk set-up, I'd love to see what you come up with: my bride is a writer, and cannot work seated, (excruciating back pain issues)

Sorry to hear about her back issues. I am doing this partly to help recover from an injury.

I decided to get a new table with a drawer unit while i was there but as you can see all you need to do is attach a shelf to a coffee table which then can go on top of any table. I do recommend attaching the coffee table to the other tables surface though. I just used the same brackets that came with the coffee table, normally used for the middle shelf which I just discarded. I also made sure to crazy glue the shelf to the coffee table on top of screwing it in. It all feels super sturdy.

• @syrupcore said:

Thank you very very much for doing this. Is yours the 3k or the 5k?

The ones on the desk are 3k, I originally got a 5k and used it on another shelf but wanted the softer/warmer temp for the desk.

• @Littlewoodg Wow, really nice standing desk! Looks really functional and well thought out. Thanks for posting it in such detail.

• @miguelmarcos said:
    @baldguru There's a trick in all the stores I've been to: After entering there is an escalator and stairs. If you take the stairs it will leave you close to a second set of stairs that go back down but inside the store. Then it's a matter of finding the shortest path to lighting.

As @syrupcore said, great hack, thanks!

• :smile: Ikea also has two desks that adjust considerably for height. One is mechnical, the other has an electrical mechanism: the Skarsta and the electric Bekant, the latter pricey. I believe both have two width options.

• edited August 2016

@miguelmarcos said:
    :smile: Ikea also has two desks that adjust considerably for height. One is mechnical, the other has an electrical mechanism: the Skarsta and the electric Bekant, the latter pricey. I believe both have two width options.

I did check them out and they seemed nice. I opted for more surface area and storage, plus I already have a sitting desk right next to it. But yah it did look good. Part of me felt that my nest of cables would end up being an issue with an adjustable one too.