Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad and multiple audio interfaces

Hi all,

I am trying to replace my Mac by an iPad for all my music production needs. But I seem to be hitting a snag. I have in my setup a Korg Kronos and a Behringer Xenyx UFX1604 mixer, both are connected to the iPad via USB, via a hub. I am trying to route the iPad's audio out to the Kronos, but the Xenyx's 16 audio channels should go to the iPad's audio in.

So far, I have not found a way to do this. GarageBand will use the Kronos for audio in and out as soon as it is connected, the Xenyx only if the Kronos is not connected. Cubasis LE will not even recognize the Xenyx if it is not connected directly to the iPad. I am hesitant to buy more apps on the off-chance that they might be working. So I'll ask here - does anyone have an iPad running in a setup with multiple USB audio interfaces? What apps work best, what are your experiences? Thanks in advance!

(oh, and: first post :smiley: )

Comments

• alas but ios devices can use at most one usb audio interface at a time

• Hi there, and welcome. As far as I know, it's not possible to use multiple AudioInterfaces at the same time with ios. It just recognizes one Interface (the one, that's plugged in last). Hopefully in the future it will be possible to "aggregate" devices, to make further setups possible. (Like, on a mac now). Have fun anyways, cheers, twobeers

• Using multiple interfaces on one iOS device is pretty much impossible. The exception being if one device only has inputs and the other only has outputs. Eg:- traktor z1 + USB mic. In all other cases one of the interfaces will override the other.

• edited August 2016

I was thinking of making independent simultaneous stereo recordings with Loopy and Loopy HD, using two mixers Behringer USB, but it seems this is not possible, right? Has anyone tried this?

• @maya-br said:

I was thinking of making independent simultaneous stereo recordings with Loopy and Loopy HD, using two mixers Behringer USB, but it seems this is not possible, right? Has anyone tried this?

Hey Maya, you mean outting the USB hub to 2 interfaces?

That won't work, iPad system will only accept one at a time and it will pick for you.

I have a Yetti USB mic that I can't use with my interface because my ipad mounts it as the default sound engine everytime.

• Yes, I would like to record the voice and guitar at the same time but in separate tracks and then keep the music on top of that. (Looper style)
    I know that in mono is easy, but loses luster of the guitarrra effect.
    Studying alternatives.
    Thank you

• Get a cheap interface like M Audio pro with 2 ins, it's the most straight forward solution.

One of my set ups is with a 2 io interface and a powered hub and it can carry lots of peripherals with it.

@maya-br

• Complementing, if you want stereo guitar you'd need 3 ins, that would take you to a more expensive Interface.

• ok, thanks

• You can actually have two different audio devices connected to iOS. If I have my Apogee One or Steinberg UR22 plugged in and then connect an Apogee Jam for example, it will continue to output sound from the first device and accept input from the second device. The catch is I can no longer use the inputs from the first device. Also, if the second device does its own digital to audio conversion it will take over as the output. Not really helpful I don't think, but yeah...

• Seems that ideally you could just throw all the instruments on one mixer, but that depends on the number of instruments, the number of mixer inputs, and whether the USB channel outputs on individual channels. The latter being the most difficult for me, as my mixer just outputs a stereo mix down on USB.

• I appreciate the comments, but maybe I have not properly explained my goal.
    The idea is to record in real time various instruments where each voice and instrument would be independent in each track.
    I've done it in mono mode recording the Left channel Loopy and Right channel Loopy HD, but honestly the effects of my GR55 Roland are much better in stereo.
    I know there are interfaces that send 4, 6, 8 channels for USB output, but it seems that the problem is in iOS, right?

• I'd recommend something like the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    It has 1/4" line in stereo for your Roland and great XLR inputs for your mic. It sends 4 separate channels over USB.

From what I've read, any of the Xenyx Behringer interfaces only send a summed stereo output over USB. It is not an iOS limitation, but it depends on the design of the interface.

• @Hmtx said:
    I'd recommend something like the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    It has 1/4" line in stereo for your Roland and great XLR inputs for your mic. It sends 4 separate channels over USB.

From what I've read, any of the Xenyx Behringer interfaces only send a summed stereo output over USB. It is not an iOS limitation, but it depends on the design of the interface.

thanks for the tip, I will inform me about this interface.

• @animal said:
    Hopefully in the future it will be possible to "aggregate" devices, to make further setups possible. (Like, on a mac now).

hello folks, very interesting thread :)
    any other info about availability of aggregate device on iOS ?
    thanks

• Get a K-Mix. It has 10 inputs or 5 stereo pairs.

• K-Mix has 8 Mono inputs (balanced), not 10. It does have up to 10 outputs, though (8 balanced, 2 per 3,5 TRS headphone out). Concerning the possibility of aggregate devices on ios, there's no news yet (I guess this would need an App similar to "Audio Midi Setup" on a Mac, to be able to be set up...). Hasn't happened yet, I think.

Or did anybody find something in ios 10 yet? ( still on ios 9).
    Cheers, twobeers

• @Hmtx said:

Behringer says it is a 16 in, 4 out USB interface. How many of the inputs show up in iOS? If you can get 4 out of it, then you can use the korg through the mixer without having to buy more stuff. Use the ipad outputs it sees in the mixer, 1/2 as your main outs, then outputs 3/4 to send to the korg. Then bring the korg in on the mixer. An extra A/D cycle isn't the end of the world. Big studios do it willy nilly to use their outboard gear.

• edited September 2016

Hello !

I was looking for the Xenyx UFX1604 at some point...
    First , just one USB interface on a iPad, that's it.
    I'm a bit surprised that Cubasis does not see the 16 individual tracks of your Xenyx...

EDIT : ha seems there's only 4 USB out, but my proposal still works !

You can redirect each of the 16 tracks (so seems it's finally 4) from your iPAd to the Xenyx, right ?
    I would use one of the AUX (you have 4 stereo ! ) to redirect your iPad to Kronos. (Kronos not connected to any USB, just audio, and the Xenyx directly plugued into the iPad.

Kronos should be also connected (on 2 free tracks) on the mixer but not sended to the AUX to avoid a loop.
    Not sure what you want to do with Kronos...A kind of giant looper I guess ?

• This is an old thread, some new gear has come out, maybe someone can give an update. Any device that has 4 separate outs? (I'd love to be able to feed this to some effect and to the mixer) Anyone?

• 2 mono per outside source through interface is how I do.

• edited August 2017

quite a lot of interfaces do this, but choose one with a dedicated IOS control panel.
    Of course such outputs aren't featured in the very low budget line.
    An iConnectAudio4+ is quite versatile.
    But be aware that feeding the processed signal back introduces significant latency that's hard (or rather hell) to compensate when you record that stuff on the iPad.
    Sending out to mixer and PA is no problem at all.

• 2 mono per outside source through interface is how I do.

@Telefunky said:
    quite a lot of interfaces do this, but choose one with a dedicated IOS control panel.
    Of course such outputs aren't featured in the very low budget line.
    An iConnectAudio4+ is quite versatile.
    But be aware that feeding the processed signal back introduces significant latency that's hard (or rather hell) to compensate when you record that stuff on the iPad.
    Sending out to mixer and PA is no problem at all.

Novation's AudioHub is amazing for my taste.

Although I think they are the best because almost all my MIDI stuff and interface I use daily are Novation. Excluding my Livid.

Any way, I have and didn't use of like my iConnect and much rather the Novation.

One less thing that could get jammed up in the ios/Apple/audiobus/app wormhole.

Sort of independent of it all. The lack of "digital control" is well over riden for me by the amazing sound quality and BOOST from it ------quality one at that.

I find many apps inconsistent and this allowed me to adjust baseline level to much more easily get a balanced sound.

Frankly the dual mono thing run through AUM with 3 inputs is better than my "main" iPad sound many times.

INTO AUM
    input 1 ---- Stereo Balance ---------Volume remains 15% higher on this input
    input 2 --- Stereo Pan (70% L)
    input 3 --- Stereo Pan (70% R)