Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does ableton push work with ipad as a general midi controller?

edited August 2016 in General App Discussion

Google wasnt able to help. Im thinking about getting it when i get my tube amp sold, but im also thinking if i should build my own midi controller. Not being able to use the push with ipad isnt a total deal breaker, but might make me consider the diy route instead.

Comments

• edited August 2016

As class compliant device, it seems it is ! :)
    https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185889
    http://www.pinchplant.com/tag/class-compliant/

And as it seems very hackable, a dedicated app that to control it specially on iPad would be great...
    Maybe Midi Designer pro 2 should handle it, but not all of it (the screen is hackable also ! )

EDIT : wow, that would be really cool indeed...

• @crony said:
    As class compliant device, it seems it is ! :)
    https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185889
    http://www.pinchplant.com/tag/class-compliant/

And as it seems very hackable, a dedicated app that to control it specially on iPad would be great...
    Maybe Midi Designer pro 2 should handle it, but not all of it (the screen is hackable also ! )

EDIT : wow, that would be really cool indeed...

I was able to find someone saying that you need to use iconnect midi 4 to use it without a computer. But i have hard time believing that. Would like someone who actually tried it to confirm. Something working in theory isnt usually enough for ios music stuff :D

• @ToMess said:
    I was able to find someone saying that you need to use iconnect midi 4 to use it without a computer. But i have hard time believing that. Would like someone who actually tried it to confirm. Something working in theory isnt usually enough for ios music stuff :D

That makes sense to me...Need live testing, but looks like a very smart solution...It should work fine also with a CCK a usb hub and an iPad...
    Almost sure the logic of the internal Push will be lost (that's why I was speaking about a specific app to recreate the internal logic )

FYI, I found these limitations also on the Ableton website about midi mapping.

You cannot map the User button itself as this would make it impossible to leave User Mode.
    The Touchstrip can be mapped but will continue to send Pitch Bend information simultaneously.
    Touching the top of an encoder will send a MIDI Note, while turning the encoder will transmit a Control Change message (both can be mapped separately).
    All buttons (except the 8x8 pad grid) send Control Change messages. This means they send values of 0 and 127 and can't be used to "toggle" parameters.
    When mapping an encoder, the correct Mapping Mode is "Relative (lin 2's Comp.)", which can be chosen from the Status Bar.
    Push's LCD will not display any feedback when creating custom MIDI mappings in User Mode.

• Hmm..
    https://www.ableton.com/answers/connecting-ableton-push-to-ipad

Well...There's always hope as there's need of testing :D

• Quite an old post but I didn't find any newer info regarding this topic. Looking for a midi controller for my iPad. As I am an Ableton user and I have a Push 2, my first idea was to use it with the user mode. I can confirm that it works when connecting to an USB hub as a class compliant device. So far I can play for example with the pads one synth into BM3.
    As far as I know the Push 2 is open and even the screen is hackable... but as far as I know there is actually no IOS app that will control Push in user mode. Do you know any app that will act as an intermediate between Push and the iPAD apps in order to for example setup scale modes in Push, control velocity etc.?
    I don’t think any of this is possible at the moment which is really a shame because in my opinion Push is a much more better controller than for example the Launchpad Pro (quality wise).
    But I guess that going for a Launchpad Pro is the “logical” and “easy” solution for an integration with IOS apps...

• Zombie Thread, back from the dead. It’s been 2.5 years. Any new developments on this front—using Push controller in iOS? I can send notes to AUM with the pads, but the knobs also send note data.

Thanks for any more info.

• Interesting
    So you have connected your push via a hub ?
    Would love to know more about this, as I have a push,and hub for iPad pro .
    Thought about plugging it in to iPad, but was worried something might break
    Any info would be good

• I think it's possible to write a sysex patch for it to have more functions, via something like Mozaic. But that's beyond my capability :)

• @Carnbot Oh yes, Mozaic script. That makes sense. I have no Mozaic scripting skills, but...One would have to understand exactly what is being output for each of the knobs. Let me put something together...

@Nicebutfun No hub, just straight USB TO USB-C dongle into iPad Pro, 3rd gen.

• By the way, when connected to the iPad Pro, the Push displays no lights, no display.
    All the buttons send cc data twice— value 127 [press] and value 0 [release].
    The knobs send cc, but because they are “endless”, no incremental values, just 0 and 127. The knobs are also “touch-sensitive” so then you touch them in any way, they send note on. No way to avoid that, but could be filtered.

Also, it’s sending data out of the Live Port, not the User Port. Will have to look into a that.

• Yeah, it's possible to force it into user mode with the right commands. I too would like to be able to use the Push with ipad more usefully, might be worth badgering Ableton about this, they might be up for producing a script for ipad. :)

• Thanks for the information
    If I plug in my push power adapter does it light up then ?

• edited June 2020

I bought the push and have since sold it already. All these hacks i looked for it required some next levels skills and you could end up bricking the thing if you do something wrong. There was no way for someone who isnt already skilled with hacking these sort of machines really, unless they want to spend enough time learning how to hack/program this sort of hardware.

But you could always send midi to ipad via bluetooth(or midi cable) and have it hooked on computer. Thats the most viable way, unless there has been some major breakthroughs im not aware(im pretty sure i would be aware of them if there were any).

edit. if i remember right, push 2 was a bit easier to hack, but im not sure

• @Nicebutfun said:
    Thanks for the information
    If I plug in my push power adapter does it light up then ?

Nope