Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT - Apples way to remind you to update... :-((

Comments

• Nothing downloaded , just the repeated and annoying nag on mine.

• iOS updates usually download (only) in the background when your device is idle and plugged into power with WiFi available; you could delay this by putting into airplane mode when you charge it but eventually it will get that update downloaded :D I don't know about stopping the reminders by deleting the update, will have to try that!

• @MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Regardless of whether they can legally do it or not, or who owns the software it's a Royal pain in the arse. I don't want a reminder popping up when I'm in the middle of a music making session - that spoils the usage and enjoyment of a device I've paid for.

They never used to do it, so some idiot has decided they should implement this irritating nonsense. Someone at Apple should point out that sometimes their updates BREAK THINGS, and those of us in the know like to wait a while before taking the plunge and don't want to be treated like naughty children before we do so.

It's competition with Micro$oft's hard sell of Win10 and @Fruitbat1919 what version of iOS are you using, the reminders are rampant on 9.3.3, each iteration of iOS they seem to ramp it up.

I'm on 9.3.4 but I just don't remember ever having reminders at any point. To be fair, I've updated pretty quickly during iOS 9. I waited longer on each iteration of iOS 8

That's the latest version isn't it? Maybe you've got automatic updates turned on.

Nope they are turned off. I updated manually.

I've only ever had two updates downloaded to my device by Apple without me deciding to download. Maybe it's because I've updated pretty quickly during iOS 9. I was a bit slower to update during 8, due to more issues.

• @asnor said:
    updates will cease once performance has been degraded to the point where you're forced to either upgrade the phone, or go mad.

Yep seems so lol.

I think they need to stop bugging people to update when we all know there comes a point with all iOS devices that you are better sticking with what you have and no longer updating.

The problem is that the updates are the only thing that reliable cleans the crap out of iOS. So Apple have us all ways really. Update and eventually your old device will crawl. Don't update and eventually your device will crawl.

At some point Apple need to realise that many can't afford to update their devices quite as often as they want us too :p

• I think Apple have been quite good really, they have allowed updates for iPad2 for years and years. Unlike Android devices that seem to get hardly any updates.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I think Apple have been quite good really, they have allowed updates for iPad2 for years and years. Unlike Android devices that seem to get hardly any updates.

That's true. Android devices you are unlikely to get updates for very long if at all with some devices!

• Two ways to stop the nag screens.

1. Just update the OS.

2. Go to settings, storage & iCloud usage, manage storage, scroll down the list until you see the update (it has a cog for an icon and usually sits somewhere in the 100mb-500mb region), tap it and delete it. Instead of getting rid of the most annoying nag screen on a daily basis, you're only bothered about once every other month.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@knewspeak said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Regardless of whether they can legally do it or not, or who owns the software it's a Royal pain in the arse. I don't want a reminder popping up when I'm in the middle of a music making session - that spoils the usage and enjoyment of a device I've paid for.

They never used to do it, so some idiot has decided they should implement this irritating nonsense. Someone at Apple should point out that sometimes their updates BREAK THINGS, and those of us in the know like to wait a while before taking the plunge and don't want to be treated like naughty children before we do so.

It's competition with Micro$oft's hard sell of Win10 and @Fruitbat1919 what version of iOS are you using, the reminders are rampant on 9.3.3, each iteration of iOS they seem to ramp it up.

I'm on 9.3.4 but I just don't remember ever having reminders at any point. To be fair, I've updated pretty quickly during iOS 9. I waited longer on each iteration of iOS 8

That's the latest version isn't it? Maybe you've got automatic updates turned on.

Nope they are turned off. I updated manually.

I've only ever had two updates downloaded to my device by Apple without me deciding to download. Maybe it's because I've updated pretty quickly during iOS 9. I was a bit slower to update during 8, due to more issues.

Could be - I tend to leave it a few weeks until I see the all clear on here

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Two ways to stop the nag screens.

1. Just update the OS.

2. Go to settings, storage & iCloud usage, manage storage, scroll down the list until you see the update (it has a cog for an icon and usually sits somewhere in the 100mb-500mb region), tap it and delete it. Instead of getting rid of the most annoying nag screen on a daily basis, you're only bothered about once every other month.

Not in this case however. It has not downloaded on my air but still keeps nagging me.

• edited August 2016

Right in the middle of playing with the new Sampletank 2.0 fuckin' Apple have to remind me to update my iPad Pro...
    WTF Apple, I don't wanna update!!! I refuse!!
    They have reminded me at least 100 times now...

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Right in the middle of playing with the new Sampletank 2.0 fuckin' Apple have to remind me to update my iPad Pro...

It's tedious. Popped up while I was using Logic Remote and knocked out my connection.

• @MonzoPro said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

It's tedious. Popped up while I was using Logic Remote and knocked out my connection.

...and Apple wants iPad Pro to become an laptop/notebook replacer...
    They can begin with a Pro settlement how to reminds you about updates...
    If you take your iPad on an liveplay you can't trust that Apple will mess up your performence...

We are many that have an love & hate relation to Apple nowadays :-(

• If you guys/gals are already on 9.x or above just update it won't break anything other than a potential jailbreak.

If there is one thing that annoys the sh*t out of me in this forum it's the almost childish 'refusal to update attitude'.
    Do you treat your Mac,Windows or Linux computers the same way?(This is part of basic equipment maintenance).

There is a reason why updates are pushed out from time to time and they are not pushed out to intentionally break things but to fix things that should have been fixed in the first place long time ago...

I'm actually looking forward to iOS10!

• edited August 2016

@Samu said:
    If there is one thing that annoys the sh*t out of me in this forum it's the almost childish 'refusal to update attitude'.

Calm down.

Maybe some of us would like the option to update when we're ready, rather than be nagged and have our work disrupted in this way?

My old iPad 2, for example, is still running iOS 7x - which after reading countless articles online appears to be the best option, performance wise. If I'd kept updating it'd be about as fast as an arthritic tortoise by now.

Nothing 'childish' about being annoyed by continual pop-up nags (I'm also presented with a key pad, so not one, but two screens to dismiss). I've survived for the last five years using my own intuition on when to update, I'd like to carry on this way, if it's ok with Big Brother Apple.

Whatever next - minor electric shots to remind me to clean my teeth?

• I wouldn't say it was childish, that seems a bit extreme, but I do agree to some extent. These devices are going to get a lot of updates, seems weird to not do it to me and make your life more difficult. I know a lot of people want a stable system and don't want to rock the boat with an update mid project, but the devs who care about their product stay on top of stuff and it's never been an issue here updating day one. Stick with apps you know are supported by the people who make them and just update before you go to bed when a new OS is released. Way less hassle.

• edited August 2016

Not only Apple, more and more apps checking 'Updating on background' by default:

• If you like to make music on a PC or Mac, the best way to wreck your system, albeit temporarily, is to update the OS the moment it's released, El Crapitan took out lots of software. My inner child, balks at that insanity.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

True en> @Samu said:

While I can't fathom the idea of having the sh*t annoyed out me by other people's choices, I do agree with you to some extent about people's fear of upgrades. I've never been burned yet on recent hardware.

However, my iPad 2, which was a perfectly useful tool and would work great on any apps I had installed on it, is basically useless now because of upgrading to iOS 9. Not having any way to go back is intensely annoying.

And that's the root of it @Samu. On a PC or Mac you always have the option of downgrading in some way. That you can't ever go back, and that you are almost forced to go forward is the REAL issue. No way you can equate PC's with iOS upgrade. It's not the same thing at all.

• edited August 2016

I never update until the coast is clear. Apple has a history of initially breaking stuff with their upgrades. I will admit that this mostly applies to desktop stuff.

• I've had excatly zero issues with my iOS devices regarding updates. Maybe It's due to the way I work and the apps I use?!

My old iPad Mini is running iOS9.3.4 and while it's not as fast as my Air 2 that is to be expected considering it's rocking A5 with 512MB ram compared to A8X and 2GB's of ramin the Air 2. It is still useable for running less demanding apps and feeding the audio thru the lightning cable to my laptop.

I'm also using my iOS devices for other things besides making noises so all the security updates and fixes are more than welcome to keep things as safe as can be.

One way to partly avoid updates is to keep wifi turned off but that in turn would make it next to impossible to use Link if that was needed.

I can somehow understand the fear of updating a production system but we also have to remember that our dear developers have a real nightmare targeting the multiple iOS versions floating around and thankfully most major developers keep their apps fully functional with current iOS versions.

I'd also rather see the developers focus on current versions of iOS than trying to fix issues caused by older iOS version that have already been fixed in a more recent iOS version. (This can be a simple 'point' upgrade say from iOS9.2 to iOS 9.2.1 or iOS9.3.2 to iOS9.3.3 the most recent iOS9.3.4 includes just one fix to disable the loophole that was used for the latest jailbreak).

I can also understand why Apple 'blocks' older versions of iOS and that's partly because they (Apple) don't want to be hit by a lawsuit if a user uses a version of iOS with known security issues and ends up in trouble...

Maintaining multiple versions of iOS is also a waste of developer resources.

As a person I love new stuff so when the release version of iOS10 hits the update-servers I'll be happy to update and test the plethora of apps I have. Being an app'a'holic I have my fair share of apps so I'm well prepared when questions like "Does xxx or yyy app work in iOS10". I am bad at judging performance though, it either works or doesn't work :)

• The worrying trend is that both Microsoft and Apple are moving toward forced updates, but the real question is why.

• edited August 2016

There have been updates that have basically crippled certain interfaces for many months at a time. The idea that it's childish to protect against such problems is itself astonishing. The needs of a few thousand iOS musicians are so far down the 'profititability scale' for Apple that inadvertently breaking key functionality for musicians as a byproduct of adding some new thang for Apple Music is a no-brainer for Apple. Sure, they will take a look at the issue, at some point, no promises though...

• edited August 2016

...> @knewspeak said:

The worrying trend is that both Microsoft and Apple are moving toward forced updates, but the real question is why.

Because security flaws are real and potentially very dangerous (noticed the increasing frequency of news reports about data getting stolen and people getting their devices hacked?). And since security updates are less sexy than shiny new features the general public needs a little extra 'incentive' to get these fixes installed.

I don't like all the nagging, but generally there is very little to lose and much to gain from doing the installation.

• I'm all for reminders. A reminder is a helpful thing, it doesn't intrude on my work, and it gives me the option to turn it off if I wish.

The two screens Apple throws up when I'm in the middle of working, several times a day, with no option to turn them off is not a reminder - it's bullying me into doing something I don't want to do.

If Apple provided updates that made my device run faster, and better, with no hardware or software incompatibilities as a result then I'd turn on automatic updates and be done with it. But they don't.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I'm all for reminders. A reminder is a helpful thing, it doesn't intrude on my work, and it gives me the option to turn it off if I wish.

The two screens Apple throws up when I'm in the middle of working, several times a day, with no option to turn them off is not a reminder - it's bullying me into doing something I don't want to do.

If Apple provided updates that made my device run faster, and better, with no hardware or software incompatibilities as a result then I'd turn on automatic updates and be done with it. But they don't.

I'm with you, mate!

• edited August 2016

@MonzoPro said:
    I'm all for reminders. A reminder is a helpful thing, it doesn't intrude on my work, and it gives me the option to turn it off if I wish.

It's aggressive though I look at this as a sign of the relative importance of the updates, not bullying but a very strong hint that indicates something is not only my best interest, but to also protect others whose data is on my devices.

For example I may follow best practices to keep my devices secure, however younger members of our extended family may elect not to.....yet on their devices sit the full name, address, phone number of every other member of the extended family, in some cases location sharing as well.

So in a connected society, security has implications beyond just individual convenience and this is a part of the tradeoff I believe Apple is attempting to balance here.

• edited August 2016

@sirdavidabraham said:

@MonzoPro said:

It's aggressive though I look at this as a sign of the relative importance of the updates, not bullying but a very strong hint that indicates something is not only my best interest, but to also protect others whose data is on my devices.

For example I may follow best practices to keep my devices secure, however younger members of our extended family may elect not to.....yet on their devices sit the full name, address, phone number of every other member of the extended family, in some cases location sharing as well.

So in a connected society, security has implications beyond just individual convenience and this is a part of the tradeoff I believe Apple is attempting to balance here.

It's not balanced though, it's a heavy handed shove.

I think it's important to give owners of their device the option to hide these things - say for 7 days, otherwise it's more than just a reminder. And I get them every time I wake my device - which can be ten times per day. That's bullying, not reminding.

Updates, can potentially break as many things as they fix, so some of us - with connected hardware, and software by developers who are slow in updating their apps, might want to hold back until we know everything is compatible. I don't want to get to a gig, for instance, and find that my lovely Aum setup no longer works.

As for family - I use parental controls, and make sure I don't use a shared device for sensitive content. With all the updating in the World that's just asking for trouble.

It'll be interesting to see how forced updates pan out. If a software company push you into updating, or install updates automatically rendering a device unfit for purpose, that's going to piss off a hell of a lot of customers.

• @MonzoPro said:

I think it's important to give owners of their device the option to hide these things - say for 7 days, otherwise it's more than just a reminder. And I get them every time I wake my device - which can be ten times per day. That's bullying, not reminding.

I'm not convinced this is due to bad intentions or disregard of the user's convenience per se. It could very well be a well-meant "Oh hey there's an 800Mb installer sitting here in your storage space. Can we get on with the installation so I can remove it and free up your space for you again?"

• edited August 2016

@sirdavidabraham said:

@MonzoPro said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

I'm not convinced this is due to bad intentions or disregard of the user's convenience per se. It could very well be a well-meant "Oh hey there's an 800Mb installer sitting here in your storage space. Can we get on with the installation so I can remove it and free up your space for you again?"

Maybe the reminders are more of an issue than losing the disk space?

• @MonzoPro said:

@sirdavidabraham said:

@MonzoPro said:

It's not balanced.

I think it's important to give owners of their device the option to hide these things, otherwise it's more than just a reminder. And I get them every time I wake my device - which can be ten times per day. That's bullying, not reminding.

Updates, generally, can break as many things as they fix, so some of us - with connected hardware, and software by developers who are slow in updating their apps, might want to hold back until we know everything is compatible. I don't want to get to a gig, for instance, and find that my lovely Aum setup no longer works.

As for family - I use parental controls, and make sure I don't use a shared device with sensitive content. With all the updating in the Wirld that's just asking for trouble.

I hear you on the impact of this. For me personally the decision has been not to trust multi-function devices when playing live. Despite my love of computers and software I've drawn a hard line there.

For studio work a big factor in migrating to Logic Pro was that I expect to be able to trust it will be pre-emptively compatible with OS updates. This was never the case with Pro Tools and having too many other 3rd party software interfaces.

I applaud people who've been using iPad for mission-critical music work. I'm not quite there yet :smile: