Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Metal showdown Auria vs Cubasis

edited August 2016 in Creations

Since I have both Cubasis and Auria 2.0 not pro I decided to record the same song in both ..

Same drum track used and the same amp sim (Biasfx) and settings were used.

In Auria all guitars EQed with FF Pro-Q and in Cubasis all guitar EQed wtih Zmors EQ and bass EQed wtih DDff 6144.

I think both are great as long as your not using them on an ipad 3.

Comments

• Why does the Auria one sound Mono and the Cabasis one Stereo?

• Both tracks are stereo not sure why it seems that way on your end.

• Both are stereo on headphones. Only, Auria's side is less wide, but you can still perceive the fills of snares on the left, e.g.

• I also prefer the Cubasis version...

• Auria hands down. Listen people

• It would have been more interesting as a blind test with a poll ....

• I can hear more the less loud it is

• Both are awful no way to say which is worse really given how bad they both are.

• @Tritonman said:
    Both are awful no way to say which is worse really given how bad they both are.

Wow that's harsh and non constructive

• edited August 2016

That it sounds bad? Really? I should lie to make you feel better really? We are talking about metal correct? Is it not supposed to sound awful? More of a compliment given the style. :D

• edited August 2016

@Tritonman said:
    That it sounds bad? Really? I should lie to make you feel better really? We are talking about metal correct? Is it not supposed to sound awful? More of a compliment given the style. :D

Well you can express your opinion in many ways. For example mentioning that all metal sounds awful to you would had made it less harsh. Also saying exactly whats wrong with the mix or what ever is constructive. For example i think that the drums and guitars sounded quite boxy and overall sounded more like a demo than a finished song. Both drums and guitar need more beef, because now it kinda sounds like there is too much room in the mix for this style of music and the boxiness makes it sound thin, while metal should sound huge. But none of this really has anything to do with cubasis vs auria, and those differences are what the topic is for.

• @Tritonman said:
    Both are awful no way to say which is worse really given how bad they both are.

Lol :)

• Interesting to listen to the differences, but does this really show any differences between Auria and Cubasis? Maybe playing one track through both flat as recorded would show more differences? Getting like for like settings out of EQs must have taken an age if you did? So are we listening to the eq setting differences more than Auria vs Cubasis?

Not being argumentative, just not too sure that as a test between the two DAWs, that this shows us anything for comparison. Unless I've missed the point, which is quite likely lol

• edited August 2016

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Interesting to listen to the differences, but does this really show any differences between Auria and Cubasis? Maybe playing one track through both flat as recorded would show more differences? Getting like for like settings out of EQs must have taken an age if you did? So are we listening to the eq setting differences more than Auria vs Cubasis?

Not being argumentative, just not too sure that as a test between the two DAWs, that this shows us anything for comparison. Unless I've missed the point, which is quite likely lol

It's not really a vs I just recorded the song in Auria, then decided to do the same in Cubase. I was not trying to match eqs are make them sound the same. My point is for me they are both good. It up to the user to make the magic happen as @tritonman pointed out garbage in garbage out.

• @hacked_to_pieces said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    Interesting to listen to the differences, but does this really show any differences between Auria and Cubasis? Maybe playing one track through both flat as recorded would show more differences? Getting like for like settings out of EQs must have taken an age if you did? So are we listening to the eq setting differences more than Auria vs Cubasis?

It not really a vs I just recorded the song in Auria, then decided to do the same in Cubase. I was not trying to match eqs are make them sound the same. My point is for me they are both good. It up to the user to make the magic happen as @tritonman pointed out garbage in garbage out.

Damn I better through out some of my garbage then lol

• edited August 2016

The guitars are panned wider in Cubasis. At the guitar break at 2:40 the single guitar is center on the Auria track and panned hard right on the Cubasis track. I think the spacier Cubasis guitars (is it two recordings or one through delay?) sound better through headphones, but what about when it's flattened to mono?

Come to think of it, are there any mixing environments that let you click the master bus to mono (which is always recommended in "how to mix" articles)?

• @sbcfx said:
    Auria hands down. Listen people

I agree. The Cubasis mix sounds hollow to me, but I definitely think that most of the rough mixes here suffer from way too much reverb and delay, so maybe it's my post-punk/indie-rock ears that are suspicious of anything too wet....

• @bigcatrik said:
    The guitars are panned wider in Cubasis. At the guitar break at 2:40 the single guitar is center on the Auria track and panned hard right on the Cubasis track. I think the spacier Cubasis guitars (is it two recordings or one through delay?) sound better through headphones, but what about when it's flattened to mono?

Come to think of it, are there any mixing environments that let you click the master bus to mono (which is always recommended in "how to mix" articles)?

Each guitar is double tracked so 4 guitar tracks total. In regards to Cubasis I just flicked the pan sliders to hard to set precisely.

• Conform thoughts people on my count, 3,,,,2,,,,,,,1,,,,, now everyone do as everyone else and conform our opinions so we can more rapidly develop our hive mentality. C'mon,, YOU GUYS .

• edited August 2016

While not a metal fan and my earlier joking aside, they both sound technically good But different which is really what is what is needed more likely than not. Some like it hot and some like it cold just opinions no matter what our own is.

• @bigcatrik said:

There's a mono switch on the Auria Master Strip.

• @Tritonman said:
    While not a meal fan and my earlier joking aside, they both sound technically good But different which is really what is what is needed more likely than not. Some like it hot and some like it cold just opinions no matter what our own is.

I likes snacks better myself. ;)

On crappy computer speakers, I like the Cubasis one better. I wanted to like the Auria more, cuz I just got Cubasis and I only really barely know how to use Auria, nil on Cubasis.

I love the song. Metal makes me feel good, easy to fall asleep to. I can really hear some Ministry in this one, Mind is a terrible thing to taste. Not real metal, but industrial. Is double tracking the same guitar part a thing in metal? Cuz I'm working on some metal, and I want to do it right ya know :).

• @High5denied said:

@Tritonman said:
    While not a meal fan and my earlier joking aside, they both sound technically good But different which is really what is what is needed more likely than not. Some like it hot and some like it cold just opinions no matter what our own is.

I likes snacks better myself. ;)

On crappy computer speakers, I like the Cubasis one better. I wanted to like the Auria more, cuz I just got Cubasis and I only really barely know how to use Auria, nil on Cubasis.

I love the song. Metal makes me feel good, easy to fall asleep to. I can really hear some Ministry in this one, Mind is a terrible thing to taste. Not real metal, but industrial. Is double tracking the same guitar part a thing in metal? Cuz I'm working on some metal, and I want to do it right ya know :).

Not sure if double tracking is exclusively used in metal or rock but in general when recording rock or metal you want to double track all rhythm guitars. When you try it you will immediately see why you want to do this. I also record the guitar in mono so the second track is making the stereo image. But its the slight differences in the performances that make the tone beefier.

• wimwim
    edited August 2016

What would be more interesting for me to know is which got you to the result you wanted with the least difficulty or in the most enjoyable way. And why.

(BTW, liked the tracks. B) )

• @wim said:
    What would be more interesting for me to know is which got you to the result you wanted with the least difficulty or in the most enjoyable way. And why.

Yea, because this is really what is being compared. Using the same eq plugins etc done the same they should sound EXACTLY the same. The only real difference is in the work flow, and stock plugins.

I think its silly that people think that this is a comparison of what the daws sound like, when its really just a comparison between two mixes done with different daws, not having to do much with what the daw sounds like(daw doesent sound like anything, the plugins used might have a distinct sound), especially when the op didnt even try to make them identical sounding.

• @wim said:

Well in regards to just recording audio I honestly liked them both. Auria differently has Cubasis beat as far as editing, moving regions tracks etc. In Cubasis I'm able to edit move split etc. but I have to been careful I deleted completed tracks by not be careful but I got the hang of it now it is all good. But I'm honestly ok with using either. Yes the FF plugs are nice but so are the AU's so.

The only reason I have both is because of the lame ipad3. I had Auria first but it was to hard on the CPU so I got Cubasis which was not much better. But now I'm on the Air 2 so all is well.

I also forgot to mention that I used Audiobus route BiasFx in the DAWS and not IAA.

• @Tritonman said:

Bru you cant put toothpaste back in the tube, After shitting on this man and his work, you want us to take you serious? Im a music producer and I produce all kinds of music. That being said, He didnt ask you on your opinion on the song he sinply shared hes work with the masses. Some find it useful when people take the time out of there lives to share something with us. So please dont be a dick and if you cant help it just shut up.

• edited August 2016

No thanks. Get over it or don't. You do not have to like it and that is fine. I am ok with that.
    I clarified what I meant but just can not please everyone ;)