Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

please help a first time user

Hi, I've recorded all my parts in garageband (ipad) and bought Audiobus and AUFX:PeakQ, can someone advise how to route/chain them and get me started?

Comments

• The bad news is you can't put GarageBand into the Audiobus input slot, so you can't use aufx with your recordings.

• As @BiancaNeve said. That's why I don't use GB anymore. Shame too, as it has some cool instruments.

The workaround is to export the track out you want to use the fx on. Long winded and not a workflow conducive to keeping in your groove.

• that seems a total contradiction after my google search announced audiobus was compatible with garageband

• GarageBand is only available in the output slot, so you could have recorded via Ab through AUFX into GarageBand....

• @r1ck said:
    that seems a total contradiction after my google search announced audiobus was compatible with garageband

The point is that Apple have chosen to limit GB's AudioBus compatibility to getting audio into GB, not out as well. It's a political decision, not a technical one.

• Can't you use Inter App Audio effects with Garage Band? I thought that was possible, or maybe that's just on an input track.

You're best bet is to ditch Garage Band. It's too closed, and too limited all around.

• FIRST ----Buy MULTITRACK DAW (Harm.Dog) (cheapest DAW)

SECOND --- EXPORT GARAGEBAND PROJECT INTO AUDIOSHARE (but that app)

AUDIOSHARE (input) --- then effect app -- then DAW

I am giving you the QUICKEST EASIEST WAY I KNOW.

There are infinite ways of solving your problem. All within the confines explained above in other posts.

• When it comes to full productions, as opposed to just using it to jam, if you really want to take advantage of what GarageBand offers, I think you need a Mac. GB projects can be loaded into Logic (or GB) on the desktop, and then you can take your basic ideas as far as you like. If you’re just a GB lover without a Mac, I’d consider it to be a recorder not a player. Audiobus compatibility means it can be put in the output slot for recording most any sounds your iOS device can make. But as a DAW, of course mixing and editing is very limited.

• edited August 2016

If you want to master the stereo mix of your GB song, here are some instructions from Jonatan at the Kymatica Forum:

MASTERING A SONG FROM GARAGEBAND THROUGH AUDIOSHARE AND AUFX:PEAKQ

Exporting a file from Garageband to AudioShare
    * In the "My songs" view, long-press the song you want to export.
    * Tap the share/action icon at the top left corner (square with arrow)
    * Choose "Open in"
    * For best results, choose Uncompressed (AIFF)
    * Tap the Share button at the top right corner to continue
    * Wait for export to finish, and choose "Open in AudioShare"
    * The song will be imported and opened in AudioShare

Running the song through an IAA effect like AUFX:PeakQ
    * Tap the song in AudioShare to open it in the main player
    * Tap the record button (microphone icon) to open the Recorder
    * Tap the + button in the top IAA slot above the volume slider and choose File Player
    * Tap the + button in the second IAA slot and choose AUFX:PeakQ
    * You can now press play and hear the song processed through AUFX:PeakQ
    * While playing, switch to AUFX:PeakQ by tapping its icon to make any adjustments
    * When happy, switch back to AudioShare and tap the blue process-button
    * Enter a suitable padding duration, like 1 second or so, and tap Process
    * It will now render the whole file through AUFX:PeakQ and open the resulting soundfile

For best results, make sure OUTPUT LIMITER is ON in AUFX:PeakQ. You can then use the MAIN LEVEL for additional volume boost without introducing any clipping or distortion.

Regarding recording app, if you don't need multitrack recording I would recommend my own app AudioShare. You can record with IAA effects (such as the AUFX series), and it will keep your recordings centralized for easy export/import and sharing.

• @lovadamusic said:
    If you want to master the stereo mix of your GB song, here are some instructions from Jonatan at the Kymatica Forum:

* Choose "Open in"

* Tap the + button in the top IAA slot above the volume slider and choose File Player
    * While playing, switch to AUFX:PeakQ by tapping its icon to make any adjustments
    * It will now render the whole file through AUFX:PeakQ and open the resulting soundfile

For best results, make sure OUTPUT LIMITER is ON in AUFX:PeakQ. You can then use the MAIN LEVEL for additional volume boost without introducing any clipping or distortion.

Regarding recording app, if you don't need multitrack recording I would recommend my own app AudioShare. You can record with IAA effects (such as the AUFX series), and it will keep your recordings centralized for easy export/import and sharing.

+1 Top tip.

• @lovadamusic said:

* Choose "Open in"

Nicely done.

• wow, now we're getting serious. Thanks for all the advice. I need to rethink my whole recording process. The reason for using GB was the speed and ease at which I could get my ideas down and saved. using other software for mixing and mastering is definitely the way forward.