Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Emulation of OB-X

https://obxd.wordpress.com

This is great, and FREE! but for desktop :(
Anyone knows if there is something similar for iOS (iSEM apart)? Or there's any dev going for it?

Comments

• that's NOT an emulation of the OB-X but an arbitrary sound generator inspired by the Oberheim's architecture.
    Precise modelling of analog parts is a demanding task, which in this case comes with even source code included ... ;)
    Even Arturia fails in the 'realism' part on a regular base (they may build nice devices, but claim to have done a perfect job - which never was the case with anything I tried by them)

cheers, Tom

• @Telefunky said:
    that's NOT an emulation of the OB-X but an arbitrary sound generator inspired by the Oberheim's architecture.
    Precise modelling of analog parts is a demanding task, which in this case comes with even source code included ... ;)
    Even Arturia fails in the 'realism' part on a regular base (they may build nice devices, but claim to have done a perfect job - which never was the case with anything I tried by them)

cheers, Tom

Yours is well founded opinion, I see. Fact is, when I tried to reproduce a classic sound of the Oberheim, like that in Jump intro, it was way more easy to do with this sound generator than with Alchemy or Massive (always starting from init, ofc). If putting together a few oscillators and filters were enough to concoct a synth, all synths based on SS would be the same. This is a nice tool, given for free, UI, code, presets and all. Hope we'll have more of the same in iOS

cheers, Paul

• @Telefunky said:

"Fails" seems a bit harsh?..... unless you're speaking directly about Arturia's iOS apps only. Those fail, but their V collection for desktop comes damn close. Closer than any of the other emulations of select instruments I've encountered I would say. Of course Softube Modular is in a completely different league on this topic. Their modeling skills are frightening. But I gotta say, still impressed with some / most of Arturia's offerings lately.

@zarv said:

Fact is, when I tried to reproduce a classic sound of the Oberheim, like that in Jump intro, it was way more easy to do with this sound generator than with Alchemy or Massive (always starting from init, ofc).

;) That's all that matters, my friend. The tool is insignificant if the outcome is real to your ears.

• edited August 2016

sorry, if my answer came over too snappish - it was driven mainly by the title ...
    Such announcements usually imply the afforementioned claim of 'cannot tell the difference'.
    I don't question that the synth is a useful tool.

@brice as mentioned I don't buy their stuff, but I'd rather have expected the IOS versions to be on the better side, than the Intel ones.
    When Arturia started, they claimed aliasing free filters - the filters were alising...
    Play a YT recording of an original Jupiter versus the Arturia implementation - lame.
    That's way sublevel of today's modeling standards.
    But that's just my personal opinion based on my personal scale, taste may vary.

I don't hold my breath on Softube either, I have one of their amp models which is smoked by BIAS with ease and tried a lot of their demos.
    Softube did some work for the German Creamware company ages ago and certainly got in touch with the Creamware Modular Synth.
    (in fact the SDK of the Creamware Scope system is just one huge 'modular' environment)
    So I know pretty well what to expect from them - since I have the 'blueprint' myself with various extensions (> 200 different modules).
    They'll never get anywhere near the point the existing system marks since a decade or so.
    http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=127&lang=us

btw: the DRC synth on IOS partially comes close the (basic) sound of that Modular to a stunning degree, so it doesn't always have to be the 'big names'...

Not relevant in this context, just mentioned to back my (admittedly) harsh opinion
    never mind, though... ;)

cheers, Tom

• @Telefunky said:
    sorry, if my answer came over too snappish - it was driven mainly by the title ...
    Such announcements usually imply the afforementioned claim of 'cannot tell the difference'.
    I don't question that the synth is a useful tool.

@brice as mentioned I don't buy their stuff, but I'd rather have expected the IOS versions to be on the better side, than the Intel ones.
    When Arturia started, they claimed aliasing free filters - the filters were alising...
    Play a YT recording of an original Jupiter versus the Arturia implementation - lame.
    But that's just my personal opinion based on my personal scale, taste may vary.

I don't hold my breath on Softube either, I have one of their amp models which is smoked by BIAS with ease and tried a lot of their demos.
    Softube did some work for the German Creamware company ages ago and certainly got in touch with the Creamware Modular Synth.
    (in fact the SDK of the Creamware Scope system is just one huge 'modular' environment)
    So I know pretty well what to expect from them - since I have the 'blueprint' myself with various extensions (> 200 different modules).
    They'll never get anywhere near the point the existing system marks since a decade or so.
    http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=41&Itemid=127&lang=us

btw: the DRC synth on IOS partially comes close the (basic) sound of that Modular to a stunning degree, so it doesn't always have to be the 'big names'...

Not relevant in this context, just mentioned to back my (admittedly) harsh opinion
    never mind, though... ;)

cheers, Tom

No worries B) And I don't completely disagree with your initial reply. I think there are things to be desired from the Arturia camp. Jupiter-8 V3...still aliasing.. Same with Mini V3....same with....But, I remain hard pressed to find much better emulations on the market for my laptop-based experiments. Diva of course is very nice, Serum is excitement, but for emulations of classic analog I don't feel good about many other options. But, I admire your high taste for such things, and would love to hear of any further suggestions that might be worth checking out for desktop synths.

On iOS, DRC is indeed at the top of my go-to list. Interestingly enough, I don't see it mentioned that often. I'm not sure why. It knocks my socks off continually! And we'll have to disagree on Softube Modular ;) I've never heard anything that has a "save as" button on it sound that unpredictable and analog before.

• Looks like I've kindled a bonfire of expertise... nice.

However, all I did has been to copy the title of the site where the synth is downloadable. Personally, I'm not very interested in the fidelity of reproduction of oldies, great as these may be. It's only occasionally that I find myself trying to come near Vangelis or JMJ, just to name (it depends on the music I'm working on, ofc).

My point was another, and the example of DRC is fitting. Now, this synth maybe a good piece of software, and if both of you say so, it certainly is. But, I say, it's really necessary and fair to present it as a free app, while you have to pay for anything really interesting? Ask those $15 upfront, and everyone will decide if get or not.
    There are many many plugins for Intel that are offered really for free, and are working very near the full version, when this exist (look at Computer Music Magazine: you buy a single issue and get a mountain of working sw, almost always high quality one,).

This is way less frequent for iOS. When it happens, it's often some relevant firm trying to catch your attention; Propellerhead's Figure be enough as an example.
    On the half full side, there are apps that are real value and cost a trifle. Think of Laplace, Lorentz, and several efxs that are under $10. The same iMini, love or hate it (I like it) is such.

Well, reached the TL;DR line I see. Cheers

• @Telefunky said:

Since you mentioned Jupiter emulation I was wondering about Roland's JP-08 Boutique synth. I bring it up because even though it is a separate unit, it is like the Arturia in that it is a digital recreation using Roland's analog circuit behavior. Does it sound close to the original?

• Check out OP-X PRO II if you are looking for a decent OB-X VST emulation:

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/description.html

• edited August 2016

@mkell424 said:
    Since you mentioned Jupiter emulation I was wondering about Roland's JP-08 Boutique synth. I bring it up because even though it is a separate unit, it is like the Arturia in that it is a digital recreation using Roland's analog circuit behavior. Does it sound close to the original?

depends on purpose - it will do the job in a live setup for shure, but the original acts way smoother.
    There's a nice video by prozak morris going step by step through all sections of the JP-08.
    Unfortunately no such thing exists for the original.
    The basic sound has a stunning similiarity to a synth called OP-8 (never cared about the name, but as I think of it now...)
    It runs on a Sharc DSP board, a chip Roland frequently uses, too.

My guess is that the boutique line is based on a reincarnation of their VariOS module extended with knobs.
    (Re-use is Roland's greatest virtue anyway... they are really good in this)

A big drawback of the JP-08 module is it's unplayability - very obvious when you watch someone deal with a real Jupiter. But for studio use with external controller data or automation that may not matter too much - and the thing is quite affordable.
    sidenote: of course the 'Jump' video appreared in YT's sidebar... the audio is a fake of course, but it's funny to watch - and an Oberheim is played.

cheers, Tom

• Side bar but I think monark nails the emulation! That thing is sweet, but totally not oberheim.

• The Monark rules. Much better than Arturia's emulation.

Never heard of the OP-8 but I found this about the JP-08 comparison:

• Patch 220 on an Oberheim Matrix 1000 — “obxjmp”.

• @zarv said:
    Looks like I've kindled a bonfire of expertise... nice.

However, all I did has been to copy the title of the site where the synth is downloadable. Personally, I'm not very interested in the fidelity of reproduction of oldies, great as these may be. It's only occasionally that I find myself trying to come near Vangelis or JMJ, just to name (it depends on the music I'm working on, ofc).

My point was another, and the example of DRC is fitting. Now, this synth maybe a good piece of software, and if both of you say so, it certainly is. But, I say, it's really necessary and fair to present it as a free app, while you have to pay for anything really interesting? Ask those $15 upfront, and everyone will decide if get or not.
    There are many many plugins for Intel that are offered really for free, and are working very near the full version, when this exist (look at Computer Music Magazine: you buy a single issue and get a mountain of working sw, almost always high quality one,).

This is way less frequent for iOS. When it happens, it's often some relevant firm trying to catch your attention; Propellerhead's Figure be enough as an example.
    On the half full side, there are apps that are real value and cost a trifle. Think of Laplace, Lorentz, and several efxs that are under $10. The same iMini, love or hate it (I like it) is such.

Well, reached the TL;DR line I see. Cheers

I remain baffled by all the negative perspectives on DRC surrounding its price and how it is offered. And, all due respect, I've yet to hear a valid complaint. I just don't see the deception as reflected in the commentary. It says it offers IAP directly below its name. And the fact that you can DEMO it before making the purchase is actually a great thing. But from what I gather in the commentary I've read about DRC is that people would somehow rather pay $15 upfront, and THEN make their decision on whether or not it was a good idea to purchase. I mean, what? That logic makes my brain hurt. I mean no disrespect, I'm just genuinely curious as to where this try before you buy model became a bad thing for so many people?

• edited August 2016

@brice, what do you do with an app of this kind with the synth engine locked? I'd understand if there were less or no presets and, say $10 upfront, then IAP for the presets, and I'd likely have got it... By the way, the latter is the more common presentation for IAPs, and no complaint about it from me. Moreover, outside iOS, the more common way of try before you buy is by limiting the functionality in time (almost all the DAWs Reaper and Ardour apart do so), and again that's fine to me and I think to most people

• edited August 2016

@mkell424 said:
    The Monark rules. Much better than Arturia's emulation.

Never heard of the OP-8 but I found this about the JP-08 comparison:

The boutiques sounded quite good when I went to listen. Not quite there sound wise from what I remember, but they are close enough for some purposes.

The major downside is the interface. The Roland synths were partly great due to their great ease of use and feature set for live use. The boutiques lose some of the feature set and lack the great ease of large faders and knobs.

One thing to bear in mind though is how some of the love for certain synths is for particular reasons. Take for instance the love for the Juno 106. I used to play one in the music store I worked in. Sounded good enough, but next to it was a great big Korg Trident MK2, it was no comparison in my opinion. Yet the Juno series were cool. They were the mainstay of many starting bands. The Juno 60 is a particular fave of mine. Sometimes I'm sure it's just me hanging on to memories. Bearing in mind that I played most of those synths through guitar amps ;)

• edited August 2016

arturia sucks, pretty pictures and nothing behind it :p
    the new roland hard and software rules, diva rules, the NI stuff rules - thats the state of the art stuff :)
    dagger from beepstreet rules too :)

• @Fruitbat1919 Me too. I played everything through a little Peavy amp.

@lala said:

the new roland hard and software rules, diva rules, the NI stuff rules - thats the state of the art stuff :)

I with you on that. Do you have any experience with the Roland plugout synths? The Aria System 1 looks like the best option.

• @mkell424 said:
    @Fruitbat1919 Me too. I played everything through a little Peavy amp.

@lala said:

I with you on that. Do you have any experience with the Roland plugout synths? The Aria System 1 looks like the best option.

I've had a play with the Aira 1m the rack version and it sounds really good. Have no idea if the plug outs sound anything like the real hardware, but it sounds good so that's all that counts

• @mkell424 said:

@Telefunky said:

For me it has more to do with 'character' than 'exact replication'. Particularly with this vintage of analog synths... emulation could really only ever be for one of the units anyway, no matter how good their production methods were. iSEM ain't any SEM-8 that ever existed with all of it's power and quirk but it does have the characteristics (or at least the ones I care about) of a SEM-8. With presets. And MIDI. For $10. :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I've had a play with the Aira 1m the rack version and it sounds really good. Have no idea if the plug outs sound anything like the real hardware, but it sounds good so that's all that counts

I have a System-1m and a Roland SH-1. Although there is no SH-1 plugout, I have compared the SH-2 plugout using only one oscillator to my SH-1. When patched the same, it is very very hard to tell which is which. Main difference I notice is the filter response is slightly different, but that could be due to the fact that SH-1 and SH-2 had different filters, and the SH-1 pulse width modulation is "warmer" than the System-1m. Running the System-1m oscillators into the SH-1 is a lot of fun, gives me a 3 oscillator SH synth.

• @syrupcore said:

@mkell424 said:

@Telefunky said:

For me it has more to do with 'character' than 'exact replication'. Particularly with this vintage of analog synths... emulation could really only ever be for one of the units anyway, no matter how good their production methods were. iSEM ain't any SEM-8 that ever existed with all of it's power and quirk but it does have the characteristics (or at least the ones I care about) of a SEM-8. With presets. And MIDI. For $10. :)

Yeah, I have no clue what a SEM-8 did but I agree that iSEM is great, it sounds great has a cool interface, is AUx etc. I am actually pretty uninterested in replicas and recreations. But that's just me.

• @locosynth said:
    Running the System-1m oscillators into the SH-1 is a lot of fun, gives me a 3 oscillator SH synth.

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to Roland's special sync? I've seen it on YouTube. One was syncing two JP-08s together to make an 8 oscillator Jupiter synth. The other was a JD-Xi synced to a Aria MX-1 mixer:

• @zarv said:
    @brice, what do you do with an app of this kind with the synth engine locked? I'd understand if there were less or no presets and, say $10 upfront, then IAP for the presets, and I'd likely have got it... By the way, the latter is the more common presentation for IAPs, and no complaint about it from me. Moreover, outside iOS, the more common way of try before you buy is by limiting the functionality in time (almost all the DAWs Reaper and Ardour apart do so), and again that's fine to me and I think to most people

I'll tell you exactly what you do; you listen to it; look at the GUI and see how it feels; and generally get a picture of it beyond what you'd get by simply watching a YT video or listening to SC tracks. I've purchased several apps before based on videos and audio examples only to find that the general experience of the app was not great. Had I been able to experience these apps, even if their fundamental operations were locked I never would've purchased them. So you would've bought DRC simply if it was labeled / priced more clearly? Are you not buying it out of spite?? Just get it...it's a killer synth!

You're right; timeouts; periodic white noise; 10-day trials; those are all common practice for evaluating products outside of iOS. But for as many products as I've demo'd that practice those methods, I've demo'd just as many that have their sound engines locked. So I just don't see the friction with DRC. Agree to disagree. But seriously, just make the purchase. If you regret it afterwards you can blame me for it. ;)

• Meant to post this a few posts back when I was rambling about unrelated stuff. Do you have Diva? If you do, and if you don't have these already, then you'll probably want to grab the OBX presets this dude made.

http://swanaudio.co.uk/

I've got 'em and they're phenomenal

• @brice said:

@zarv said:

I'll tell you exactly what you do; you listen to it; look at the GUI and see how it feels; and generally get a picture of it beyond what you'd get by simply watching a YT video or listening to SC tracks. I've purchased several apps before based on videos and audio examples only to find that the general experience of the app was not great. Had I been able to experience these apps, even if their fundamental operations were locked I never would've purchased them. So you would've bought DRC simply if it was labeled / priced more clearly? Are you not buying it out of spite?? Just get it...it's a killer synth!

You're right; timeouts; periodic white noise; 10-day trials; those are all common practice for evaluating products outside of iOS. But for as many products as I've demo'd that practice those methods, I've demo'd just as many that have their sound engines locked. So I just don't see the friction with DRC. Agree to disagree. But seriously, just make the purchase. If you regret it afterwards you can blame me for it. ;)

Well, you put it so kindly that I could not resist giving a second look.
    What I've done is to fiddle somehow longer with the synth, and look around for reviews.
    Now, you are right, it is a good subtractive synth, commands are responsive and parameters are well represented and intuitive to find. Sub osc I found particularly effective.

I usually don't go to the manual for apps so simple, but this time I've done it, and, on the very first page, I found said that THERE IS a timeout (7 days): I had figured that the "sinth engine lock" meant you were not able to save your tweaks, and I've not tried to do anything of the sort (my fault, ofc). The timeout is also spoken of in a short review on Music Radar. Allow me to say that you did not point it to me, so maybe you also were unaware of it.

Such being the situation, I feel the need to apologise. The timeout is there and fair, and the app is a good one. Devs look decent ones and, being sort of indies, I thinks deserve support. When I'll feel the need of a subtractive synth to add to the huge number I already own, DRC will be surely in pole position. As I have said, I am not so much after fidelity of hw circuits reproduction, so maybe my enthusiasm is less than deserved

cheers, Paul

• edited August 2016

@jbvdb said:
    Yeah, I have no clue what a SEM-8 did but I agree that iSEM is great, it sounds great has a cool interface, is AUx etc. I am actually pretty uninterested in replicas and recreations. But that's just me.

perfectly ok, but you have to consider that (in a general context) the exact reproduction has become the most important aspect in marketing, if not the only one.
    Photorealistic surfaces, a big name or the name of a 'classic' are essential, for it suggests value (a $$ piece of gear for...).
    It's as stupid as it is effective and it really works.
    I much appreciate your approach, but it represents less that 5% of customers.

It's a significant disadvantage for developers like the one(s) of DRC.
    IOS seems less affected than VST, though, as 'unusual' solutions are a part of the system by nature.

cheers, Tom

• @zarv said:

@brice said:

@zarv said:

Well, you put it so kindly that I could not resist giving a second look.
    What I've done is to fiddle somehow longer with the synth, and look around for reviews.
    Now, you are right, it is a good subtractive synth, commands are responsive and parameters are well represented and intuitive to find. Sub osc I found particularly effective.

I usually don't go to the manual for apps so simple, but this time I've done it, and, on the very first page, I found said that THERE IS a timeout (7 days): I had figured that the "sinth engine lock" meant you were not able to save your tweaks, and I've not tried to do anything of the sort (my fault, ofc). The timeout is also spoken of in a short review on Music Radar. Allow me to say that you did not point it to me, so maybe you also were unaware of it.

Such being the situation, I feel the need to apologise. The timeout is there and fair, and the app is a good one. Devs look decent ones and, being sort of indies, I thinks deserve support. When I'll feel the need of a subtractive synth to add to the huge number I already own, DRC will be surely in pole position. As I have said, I am not so much after fidelity of hw circuits reproduction, so maybe my enthusiasm is less than deserved

cheers, Paul

What's this term "manual" you refer to? How did you there? Can anyone go....or...? ;) I should take my sarcasm as advice and refer to those things more often. It sure beats asking my dog where the fuk'n "arpeggiator off" switch is!

No need to apologize. Had we not disagreed you might not now have a fun new synth in your arsenal.

• @brice under the help voice

• @Telefunky said:

@jbvdb said:

perfectly ok, but you have to consider that (in a general context) the exact reproduction has become the most important aspect in marketing, if not the only one.
    Photorealistic surfaces, a big name or the name of a 'classic' are essential, for it suggests value (a $$ piece of gear for...).
    It's as stupid as it is effective and it really works.
    I much appreciate your approach, but it represents less that 5% of customers.

It's a significant disadvantage for developers like the one(s) of DRC.
    IOS seems less affected than VST, though, as 'unusual' solutions are a part of the system by nature.

cheers, Tom

I'm in the minority that put realism behind functionality. I prefer an essential, but working, interface à la DRC to all those cables transparent or not, which drive me mad (this is not a judgement of the apps per se)

• @mkell424 said:

@locosynth said:
    Running the System-1m oscillators into the SH-1 is a lot of fun, gives me a 3 oscillator SH synth.

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to Roland's special sync? I've seen it on YouTube. One was syncing two JP-08s together to make an 8 oscillator Jupiter synth. The other was a JD-Xi synced to a Aria MX-1 mixer:

SH-1 is from 1978 so there is no MIDI, I use CV and Gate to Sync them, the SH-1 gives gate/CV out which goes into System-1m and then I run the oscillator mixer out from 1m into external input on SH-1.