Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The IPad Pro and Power

I recently upgraded to the 12" IPad Pro, in large part to work more conveniently with the Moog M15 app, and I'm really loving it.
I invested in the new USB/Lightning dongle so I could charge the unit during use. The M15 app draws a fair amount of power...couple this with Auria and a few supporting apps, and the battery life gets pretty short, and charging times are long.

I was suprised to find that even with the power plugged in, this only slowed the battery dischaging but could not stop or reverse it during my normal workflow.

As it turns out, the 12.5 watt adapter that comes with the IPad Pro is fine for charging up the unit overnight, but inadequate for continued serious work with the unit.

The Good News: there is a 29 watt Apple charger available that uses a USB 3 connection to fast charge the unit, and in my tests today, it seems more than capable of holding its own against my typical workflow power drain.

The Bad News: The adapter and a 2 meter USB to Lightning cable will set you back a cool $90 or so. I spent some time looking for a cheaper solution, but there seemed to be conflicting reports about whether other non-Apple devices would work correctly, so I bit the bullet and went with the known quantity.

I can say that it works a treat for my power needs.
Something to think about, if you're planning to upgrade as well.

Comments

• There are alternatives to Apple's USB chargers and cables that are high quality and much less expensive. Anker, for example, and other brands.

• Funny, I just saw that yesterday (the draining of battery) but was wondering what could be the issue...Thanks, now I know :)

• ive noticed this to, but in general battery drains much faste than on my Air 2 :(

• edited August 2016

@Audiohub said:
    I recently upgraded to the 12" IPad Pro, in large part to work more conveniently with the Moog M15 app, and I'm really loving it.
    I invested in the new USB/Lightning dongle so I could charge the unit during use. The M15 app draws a fair amount of power...couple this with Auria and a few supporting apps, and the battery life gets pretty short, and charging times are long.

I was suprised to find that even with the power plugged in, this only slowed the battery dischaging but could not stop or reverse it during my normal workflow.

As it turns out, the 12.5 watt adapter that comes with the IPad Pro is fine for charging up the unit overnight, but inadequate for continued serious work with the unit.

The Good News: there is a 29 watt Apple charger available that uses a USB 3 connection to fast charge the unit, and in my tests today, it seems more than capable of holding its own against my typical workflow power drain.

The Bad News: The adapter and a 2 meter USB to Lightning cable will set you back a cool $90 or so. I spent some time looking for a cheaper solution, but there seemed to be conflicting reports about whether other non-Apple devices would work correctly, so I bit the bullet and went with the known quantity.

I can say that it works a treat for my power needs.
    Something to think about, if you're planning to upgrade as well.

Hi Audiohub!

I don't get it... Perhaps as my language is not primary english....

I have the new 12.9" iPad Pro and an 29W charger from Apple and the needed USB-C to Lightning cable...
    Without the right cable there's seems to be only 12W that delivers...

But, do you say that the new adapter USB/Lightning don't work with the new 29W charger?

• I use mine with the new adapter and a powered USB hub. I haven't ever notiuced it draining while plugged in, but I have noticed it struggles to charge while being used. You can get a more powerful charger from apple, I haven't found it necessary though.

• I guess the question is - would something like this Anker USB 3.0 hub for $30 (or a better one you can recommend) make more sense than the $40 USB3 to Lightning cable? It should both charge the iPad at a respectable rate while allowing you to use multiple external USB devices through the CCK.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charging-Adapter-Included-VL812-B2/dp/B014ZQ07NE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• @StormJH1 That Anker looks like a great powered USB hub but it is still just a USB hub which means it does not send power to the host (the iPad in this case). So no, it wouldn't charge the iPad.

• edited August 2016

My unit will definitely discharge when I use it with the supplied 12 watt adapter.

I was still having problems when I was attempting to charge the IPad Pro in a high drain situation using the new USB3/Lighning adapter and the 29W charger, but after spending a fair amount of time on the phone about this with Apple, they sent me a new USB3 adapter, which seems to be working fine.

With the Moog M15, Auria, MidiSequencer and MidiLFO apps open, I was able get my IPad to slowly charge from 80% to over 93% after a few hours, with everything running.

I'm not sure if any of the aftermarket chargers will work for this application, but the Apple accessories, while expensive, are working well for me.

• Have to add that I bought the Apple thingie which charges as it juices (as it were) and while I'm still stung by the 40 bucks (40 bucks!) for just enough plastic to barely bruise a willing bag of prawn crackers it works beautifully with the Big Boy. Which, in other news, is still getting 10 out of 10 over here (but then I do have dinner plate hands Donald so YMMV etc.).

• Welcome to the laptop replacement world!

It seems that there's no magic and the old physics still rule in the battery department. Seeing MacBooks using 65W chargers it does not surprise me that the little brick doesn't keep up. This probably just proves that the pro slate is still a new territory for Apple (strangely) and one or two versions down the line they'll get the balance right.

The apps are getting more powerful and the battery life will be the price to pay until the next generation battery technology hits the market. I just hope the cooling will not be back on the agenda I'd never buy an iPad with a cooling fan a la Surface.

• Not to be argumentative, but some of the power of a laptop can be thought of as its ability to manipulate files. Sadly the IPad Pros still need to be connected to a laptop to do certain tasks.

Yes I understand this is not what the OP is about, but it does still bug me. Why mention it? Well, the Pro iPads have the raw grunt for the most part, it's just that software wise they are gimped. Apple are the main culprit for gimping the software and iOS, seems now they are gimping the charger brick too :p

• I've had that same experience. Battery stops draining (or at least drains slowly) but not recharges. Apple advices to use their pricey high outlet charger and their usb-lightning cable.
    Real shame the bundled charger is not enough!
    iPad pro 9.7" has none of this problems

• It grates to have to shell out that much for a charger and cable, but I'm sure such a buy is in the cards: I'm finding my Pro to be an amazingly productive tool for music, design, and writing. As far as file management is concerned, between Dropbox, Google Drive, 'open in', and AudioShare, I really haven't felt constricted of late.

• lets be clear: the 29 watt charger and the lightning to usb-c cable are necessary for the iPad pro 12.9 and both work with the new lightning to usb3 adapter, its the charger the iPad pro should have came with in the first place, any other cable or charger that i know of will not give these results.

The 12 watt charger the iPad pro comes with its not enough, it charges the iPad slowly, if you're using the iPad it will not charge at all and if you're using the screen at 100% brightness or using a lot of apps the battery will start decreasing but these its not a software/ hardware problem on the iPad or the charger, its just that the 12 watt charger its not enough.

the iPad pro 9.7 doesn't have these problems with the 12 watt charger as its enough power to charge it, if you use the 29 watt charger with the pro 9.7 it will not change any faster than the 12 watt charger.

in my mind the only thing apple did wrong in this case was to not include the 29 watt charger in the first place. everything works as expected, no software/ hardware problems.

• I had no problems keeping my iPad Air charged during use with the 12 watt charger, but the Pro is a different beast altogether.

Screen brightness does seem to play a large part in this, and I usually keep it at 100% when I'm working with darker styled graphic apps like the M15 during the day. Adding a USB keyboard and audio interface to the mix adds an additional layer of demand on the system as well.

I agree that Apple, like me, are probably still finding their way on this level and type of application of their product. I had to speak to 3 different CS reps before I found one that understood what I was doing and why the charging was problematic, but in the end a solution was reached and all seems to be working well.

• I just ordered a RAV extreme 23,000 ma power oacks, around $100.00 usd. It not only charges iPad but it will charge your AC outlet keyboard, anything 20 volts and below

• I have an iPad Pro 12.9 also.. Love it!

• Just got an iPad Pro 12.9 a couple of weeks ago and am still getting things loaded on to it, etc. But early on, I absolutely love it. It isn't necessarily the "best tool" for everyone - there's definitely a loss of portability, but after waiting about 5 years to upgrade, the priority for me was getting the performance possible. I haven't tried to push it yet, but compared to older devices, the thing is a powerhouse!

Did not know about the power/charging issues with the iPad Pro (or, rather, with the under-powered adapter/cable they ship with it). So the 29W chargers deliver additional power but require the additional USB-C to Lightning cable?

What are some of the cheaper alternatives people have tried? Looks like the 1m Apple Cable is $24.99 and the 2m one is $34.99. The 29W adapter seems to be around $49.99.

Looking at this possible alternative from Kinps for $20, though it doesn't specifically state it is compatible with iPad Pro, but I can't figure out why it wouldn't be.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Kinps-Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B01DLTL7GW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1470850022&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=29w+usb+power+adapter

• [old thread revived 2017/12/30 – don’t be fooled]

I bought this iPad Pro, large one, back in the middle of 2016 (secondhand, of course, are you crazy, they’re too expensive – I chopped all my Nikon gear in for it at the time). Later in the year I bought at a very suitable price a used (didn’t seem too used actually) long version of the USB-C to lightning cable. I used to use it now and then on the charger of the Nexus 6P (also secondhand and as part of the waving goodbye to my Nikon gear event), but didn’t see it fast charge particularly (as the Nexus could), but it did give me a longer lead when I occasionally needed it. I thought I’d keep an eye out for the matching Apple 29W USB-C PSU. (I’ve since sold the Nexus 6P – before it started to bootloop, as has happened to many others at the time, plus the money I got for it was helpful).

In recent weeks I saw in a secondhand shop what I thought was the Apple 29W USB-C PSU, but when they handed it to me to inspect it I saw it was actually the much larger 87W USB-C unit, at about half what a new one would have cost. I now use that with the 2m charge cable I already bought, to pump up the iPad quite quickly, now and then, depending where I’m sitting. Reading up on the specs for the PD profile, and reading this page, it probably transpires that I’d have been better off with a 29W PSU rather than the 87W one, if I really wanted the fastest charge possible (which I really don’t, I’m satisfied with the fast charge I get from this 87W PSU when used now and then). However, I paid less for this secondhand 87W one than a new 29W one.

(Incidentally, this post took hours to type, as the keyboard on the iPad Pro is failing to respond more and more these days, and then when it does, it back-deletes the entire post character by character, too rapidly to stop, and then everything’s gone. This

• [old thread revived 2018/3/31 – don’t be fooled! Tomorrow, 1st of April, you can be as fooled as you like, I don’t care).

If anyone in the UK has a Maplin near them and they have one of these in stock, they’re going half price – just picked up one from Beckton Maplin for £24.50.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/apple-29w-usb-c-power-adapter-a26ut

• If you have a Macbook you can charge your iPad 12,9 inch with that. Simply connect it by USB. It's the way I always do it.

• @bert said:
    If you have a Macbook you can charge your iPad 12,9 inch with that. Simply connect it by USB. It's the way I always do it.

I don’t think any Macbook can supply USB Power Delivery 2.0 at all, in any PD profile.

Incidentally, the iPhone 8, 8+ and X all use PD!

• @u0421793 said:

@bert said:
    If you have a Macbook you can charge your iPad 12,9 inch with that. Simply connect it by USB. It's the way I always do it.

I don’t think any Macbook can supply USB Power Delivery 2.0 at all, in any PD profile.

What exactly do you mean with 'PD profile?'

Had to search for 'USB Power Delivery 2.0' at the internet by the way.

Besides that, I truly charge two iPads by a Macbook model mid 2014 which came with an adapter of 85W. They get charged both, also when at the same time using that Macbook.

• @bert said:

@u0421793 said:

@bert said:

What exactly do you mean with 'PD profile?'

Had to search for 'USB Power Delivery 2.0' at the internet by the way.

Besides that, I truly charge two iPads by a Macbook model mid 2014 which came with an adapter of 85W. They get charged both, also when at the same time using that Macbook.

Well, yes, obviously they get charged – I often do the same overnight by plugging my iPad Pro into a Mac Mini. However, the discussion centres around the fact that the unsophisticated charger that comes with an iPad Pro (the 12W basic one) only supplies power to do a (non-USB-C Power Delivery) slower charge, and there are many circumstances where using an iPad Pro while plugged into such a charger can actually use up the power faster than the charger can replenish it with new power. The solution is to buy a charger that supports PD, which the iPad Pro also makes use of, and that way you can not only charge the iPad whilst in use and have the charge actually complete in a sane amount of time, but you can also rapidly charge the iPad Pro in a few hours if you leave it alone. The iPad Pro will negotiate with the Apple 29W USB-C power supply and step through the available PD profiles on offer to find the highest Power Delivery profile that both the device and the supply are capable of negotiating.

• picked one up at maplins today. thanks for the tip!