Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget Kingston vs Kamata what's the difference

Hestitate to buy Korg Kamata because I have the idea that you can achieve the same kind of sounds with KIngston. Both are chiptune gadgets and from the online demos they look to me both alike. Except of course that Kamata has a stunning old school visual intro and a different interface. Are there users here that have both and can explain the difference?

Comments

• I don't have kamata yet but from what I've seen you can draw waveforms in kamata and automate much more parameters, and people have said it can do more than chiptune if you dig into it. That's what I've heard

• You can draw your own waveforms in Kamata while Kingston 'limited' to triangle, few square variations and noise.
    Kamata has a pitch and amp envelope, note-delay, and note-reverb and two LFO's for pitch and amp.

Kinston is limited to jump speed and the built in arpeggio(run)-patterns.

Kingston has more 'effects' in the Gadget but with the 5 IFX busses Kamata has a fair share of effects available too.

They sound totally different, maybe because Kamata uses 4-bit 32-sample waveforms and Kinston uses a bit more bits or something.

• wimwim
    edited July 2016

Three main differences come to my mind:

• Virtually infinite wave forms, with the ability even to draw them on the fly and record the changes as automation
    • Many great parameters to tweak and automate. ADSR, pitch, lfo's...
    • Way more fun

If all you're after is game / chip tune type sounds, then you don't need Kamata. If you like to have fun twisting and generally molesting sounds of any type into interesting and different discoveries, Kamata is worth the price.

• Parameters playground:

• If Korg came out with a proper YM2151 Gadget it would be chip-bonanza (The dude who ported iDS-10 is author behind iYM2151). What about a Gadget version of SquareSynth for NES type sounds or a proper SID-Gadget based on SidTracker64 instruments, now that would make things interesting...

Worth pointing out is that Kamata can be used for more that just 'chip-sounds' especially when using detune :)

• God the GUI is awful tho!

• edited July 2016

Regarding a YM2151 Gadget...

Too bad iYM2151 was update in December 2012 and is quite expensive so I won't risk downloading it only to find out it won't run on my Air 2...

• Thx for all your comments. Decided to buy it because it will add some interesting new options :)

Cooest thing would be in the end of course that ther will be a iYM2151 gadget as @Samu proposed.

By the way I used to used and still us SFXR a lot, a free chiptune generator that can save to wav

link:
    http://drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

• @mannix said:
    Thx for all your comments. Decided to buy it because it will add some interesting new options :)

Cooest thing would be in the end of course that ther will be a iYM2151 gadget as @Samu proposed.

By the way I used to used and still us SFXR a lot, a free chiptune generator that can save to wav

link:
    http://drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

That 'SFXR plug-in' is also available on iOS in Causitc's sample editor after 'secret code unlock' :D
    And also in the free Korg Volca sample editor if i don't recall all wrong...

• wimwim
    edited July 2016

@jbvdb said:
    God the GUI is awful tho!

Intentionally! B)

• @Samu the free Korg Volca sample editor Thx! Will have a look :)

• Now that Kamata has been out for a little while, and being as it is the last day of the sale today ....

Do you all still think it is worth the money, and a useful gadget to have ?

Thanks

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Now that Kamata has been out for a little while, and being as it is the last day of the sale today ....

Thanks

I just bought it cause not having one gadget was wearing on me. It's like I'm addicted to gadgets. It definitely looks more useful than it first appears though. Just detuning + adding filters via IFX (gadget itself has no filters) you can get some phat sounds that sound nothing like chiptunes. Plus stacking them together with same midi source either via modstep or via keyboard it can sound amazing....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Now that Kamata has been out for a little while, and being as it is the last day of the sale today ....

Thanks

I just bought it cause not having one gadget was wearing on me. It's like I'm addicted to gadgets.

This is what is happening to me right now LOL

It definitely looks more useful than it first appears though. Just detuning + adding filters via IFX (gadget itself has no filters) you can get some phat sounds that sound nothing like chiptunes. Plus stacking them together with same midi source either via modstep or via keyboard it can sound amazing....

Does it also sound nothing like the other Gadgets ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks

I just bought it cause not having one gadget was wearing on me. It's like I'm addicted to gadgets.

This is what is happening to me right now LOL

It definitely looks more useful than it first appears though. Just detuning + adding filters via IFX (gadget itself has no filters) you can get some phat sounds that sound nothing like chiptunes. Plus stacking them together with same midi source either via modstep or via keyboard it can sound amazing....

Does it also sound nothing like the other Gadgets ?

It can do some pretty bellish sounds. So I guess its a bit like Chiangmai. Its surprisingly similar to a Volca FM in terms of sound quality. Plus the fact nearly every parameter is automatable i guess you can probably make it sound unlike any other gadget. Just grab it. That buy button will drive you insane eventually....

• @gonekrazy3000 said:
    Its surprisingly similar to a Volca FM in terms of sound quality.

That buy button just became a LOT harder to ignore >:)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Pretty sure it's been mentioned before lol. It's got an extremely digital character similar to the FM. I usually tend to dislike too digital sounds. Which is why I didn't buy the FM. Thankfully the insert effects can dirty it up nicely lol.

• No matter what new Gadgets Korg brings to Gadget they have so far all been worth it and the Quality is top-notch.

I'm still 'dreaming' of an 'iKaossilator Gadget' partly because iKaossilator has some wicked sounds that are not present in Gadget. These sounds would be a good source for creating loops for AbuDhabi and Bilbao or a yet awol Sampler Gadget.

It's pretty safe to say that what ever Korg brings to iOS it will be worth it...
    (I'm just short of a few IAPs in Module but the rest of the Korg collection is complete).

Sure the wait for new features (Folders for User-Samples, 'Sampler Gadget', Time-Line and Audio-Tracks) can be a bit frustrating but at the same time learning what each current Gadget is capable of makes it bearable.

I like the way everything is integrated in Gadget and would hate to see the app loose stability by including too much 'extra' (AU-X support might work but I'd stay from IAA-Instrumets as 'app switching' drives me nuts).

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

Don't you just wish there was a way to 'hide' un-purchased Gadgets?
    Then again it feels pretty good to have a 'complete' collection of gadgets :)

• @Samu said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

LOL, right next to the Restore Purchases button...hehe

• edited July 2016

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks

Thought that the sale was untill July 31st. Correct me if I''m wrong.

• @mannix said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thanks

Thought that the sale was untill July 31th. Correct me if I''m wrong.

Oh yeah good point, I got confused, because tomorrow is payday and that is normally the last day of the month :)

• Yep, on the iM1 page on the App Store, it says the sale ends July 31st first thing in the description.

• edited July 2016

Doug goes Chip-Tunish with Kingston, Kamata and Tokyo :D

• Kamata is so good. Drawing the little pixel-a-ted wave form is fun and really can get some varied sounds with it. I love Kingston, but Kamata is on a Whole nutha leva. Just like Jeff says ;)

• @Samu said:

I've found pressing the purchase button works :wink:

• @funjunkie27 said:

@Samu said:

Pressed !

• @AndyPlankton said:

@funjunkie27 said:

@Samu said:

Pressed !

Welcome to the other side! :D

only prob is now there's no more gadgets to purchase :(

• @gonekrazy3000 said:

And the additional prob of having even more choices of what sound to use :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@gonekrazy3000 said:

And the additional prob of having even more choices of what sound to use :D

Its a good problem to have though :p better than not having any sounds.....