Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arturia Keystep

2»

Comments

• @Artefact2001 said:

@ph8aerror said:
    They asked this some time ago online... somewhere... I can't remember, but I basically gave the same answer as @Samu did.
    Add a few assignable knobs. NOT ENCODERS.

I thought knobs and encoders were the same thing :# what's the difference?

When people talk about knobs, they usually mean potentiometers with a fixed angle of about 270 degrees from minimum to maximum.
    Advantage: Many iOS apps support this kind of MIDI control
    Disadvantage: When controlling a software parameter, turning the knob will make the current value jump to where the knob position is.

Encoder: A dial that can be turned freely, when turning left/right it sends decrement/increment messages instead of absolute values for the respective CC value.
    Advantage: No jumps. Turning right increases, turning left decreases the value
    Disadvantage: Hardly and iOS app and host support this.

• @rs2000 said:

@Artefact2001 said:

@ph8aerror said:
    They asked this some time ago online... somewhere... I can't remember, but I basically gave the same answer as @Samu did.
    Add a few assignable knobs. NOT ENCODERS.

I thought knobs and encoders were the same thing :# what's the difference?

When people talk about knobs, they usually mean potentiometers with a fixed angle of about 270 degrees from minimum to maximum.
    Advantage: Many iOS apps support this kind of MIDI control
    Disadvantage: When controlling a software parameter, turning the knob will make the current value jump to where the knob position is.

Encoder: A dial that can be turned freely, when turning left/right it sends decrement/increment messages instead of absolute values for the respective CC value.
    Advantage: No jumps. Turning right increases, turning left decreases the value

I'll add another disadvantage with encoders: unless they have some sort of value display (like and LED ring), and software that supports sending data to it, you can't tell the value from the encoder alone.

• @rs2000 said:

"Hardly?"
    I thought there was none. Please direct me in the direction of an app that does ASAP!!

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Looks like Arturia are looking for user ideas to improve on the original.

No need for 'rocket science' here. They should just add a bunch of assignable knobs and be done with it.
    The sequencer should be able to record the knobs movements...

Use the 'keyboard' as a step selector for the sequence to allow step-editing, ie. tap a key and tweak a knob to record it's value to the step...

If the R&D department at the company can't figure simple things that on their own I don't know why they even bother :D

Yep. Beatstep's 8x2 knobs, Beatstep Pro's 16 step buttons (same as the drumbrute, etc) and... the ability to use those 16 step buttons to choose between 16 polyphonic tracks. :)

White keys to 'scale' mode.

1-4 MIDI LFOs (that could also go out via CV).

USB host prolly won't happen but it would be dreamy.

• @BroCoast said:
    Key trig sequencer option would make it a lot better.

What's a key trig sequencer?

Otherwise I love it as is. It's simplicity and ability to drive almost any piece of gear is what makes it great.

I agree. My comments above were more about a potential "KeyStep Pro".

• Just got mine

• @ph8aerror said:

@rs2000 said:

"Hardly?"
    I thought there was none. Please direct me in the direction of an app that does ASAP!!

Arturia iSpark + Spark LE controller.

• @rs2000 said:

@ph8aerror said:

@rs2000 said:

"Hardly?"

Arturia iSpark + Spark LE controller.

Oh thanks. Unfortunately, apps that I've no interest in.

• @syrupcore said:

@BroCoast said:

Otherwise I love it as is. It's simplicity and ability to drive almost any piece of gear is what makes it great.

Key trig is like the ARP/sequencer in Model 15. You press a key to trigger the sequencer, it can also retrig/restart each time a key is pressed if desired. The Rozeta sequencers do this with the MIDI trig option, they just don't have retrig.

• @BroCoast said:

@syrupcore said:

@BroCoast said:

Key trig is like the ARP/sequencer in Model 15. You press a key to trigger the sequencer, it can also retrig/restart each time a key is pressed if desired. The Rozeta sequencers do this with the MIDI trig option, they just don't have retrig.

Oh. Yum.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:

Fortunately, some apps have the option for “pickup mode” where instead of jumping as soon as you turn the knob, nothing happens until you “cross” the existing value. I love Audiobus midi learn so much for this feature.

• edited June 2020

I have a Keystep and I use it with my iPad. Is there a way to sequence a pattern with the Keystep AND play the keys of the Keystep to play a melody on an other app? If I programm a pattern on Midi CH 1 and switch to MIDI CH 2 to play the melody, the Keystep will play the sequence on the MIDI CH 2.

Thanks.

• I have a KeyStep connected to my iPad and to other hardware as I can easily switch the MIDI channel it sends on, so it's great for live switching.

Same as others, I agree that it could use some knobs, but what I have been thinking of is buying a BeatStep as a companion controller - they're not too expensive, and I think between them they are a good pair of controllers.

• edited June 2020

@Montreal_Music said:
    I have a Keystep and I use it with my iPad. Is there a way to sequence a pattern with the Keystep AND play the keys of the Keystep to play a melody on an other app? If I programm a pattern on Midi CH 1 and switch to MIDI CH 2 to play the melody, the Keystep will play the sequence on the MIDI CH 2.

Thanks.

Sometimes I get confused but I think you do this as follows:

• Only works on sequence Mode (not supported on Arp Mode)
    • Hold Shift AND Oct + (Kbd Play)
    • While Holding select the Midi CH on the Keys
    • Otherwise if you only hold Shift you are changing the channel of the Sequencer like you explained.

• @Antemode said:

@Montreal_Music said:

Thanks.

Sometimes I get confused but I think you do this as follows:

• Only works on sequence Mode (not supported on Arp Mode)
    • Hold Shift AND Oct + (Kbd Play)
    • While Holding select the Midi CH on the Keys
    • Otherwise if you only hold Shift you are changing the channel of the Sequencer like you explained.

Wow, thanks!